Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for dentist costs?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I seem to have lost a filling on one of my teeth and obviously need to get it replaced. I contacted my dentist, who quoted me €70 for this. The receptionist was not very helpful when I asked if there was any help with the cost for unemployed people...:mad:
    I am on jobseeker's allowance and don't have a medical card, only a GP visit card. Paying €70 just like that isn't an option because it's half of my week's income and I need to eat and pay bills. Is there any financial support to be got in my situation, or will I just have to try and fork it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

You may be able to have some of the cost covered , this depends on having the required level of PRSI contributions - the exact requirements I'm not aware of.
    The level of assistance with regards to dental treatment is really quite poor here , even a Medical Card is limited although if you had one I think it may have covered this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Delancey wrote: »
    You may be able to have some of the cost covered , this depends on having the required level of PRSI contributions - the exact requirements I'm not aware of.
    The level of assistance with regards to dental treatment is really quite poor here , even a Medical Card is limited although if you had one I think it may have covered this situation.
    PRSI covering dental treatment was done away with quite some time ago delancey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Now that you mention it I remember a family member of mine who is a dentist talking about PRSI changes putting dentists out of business.
    Thankfully its not something I need worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pami_81

Duh... So basically, I will just have to fork out or suffer from the toothache - suffer either way, that is.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

pami_81 wrote: »
    Duh... So basically, I will just have to fork out or suffer from the toothache - suffer either way, that is.:(

Why don't you apply for a medical card ? as far as i know you can get it very quickly now online if you qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

have a word with your dentist, and ask if you can pay it off bit by bit. they won't just turn away business, as delancey said, there's a few closing down due to lack of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pami_81

I applied for a medical card last year when I lost my job, but all I was given was the GP visit card. I assume that this is because my partner is in full-time employment. I might ask about the paying in installments option or just wait until I can save it up.

Advertisement