Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Broker cheaper than Insurance Company

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My car insurance is up in the next wee while and I was getting some quotes online and I can't for the life of me work this one out! I got a quote with an insurance broker for 485euro for fully comp, including having one named driver on the policy. The broker has since rung me to explain that the policy comes with all the normal things - windscreen cover, third party cover for me driving other cars etc.
    Out of curosity, I've just gotten a quote directly from the Insurance Company that the broker was working for and the quote is DOUBLE the price :eek::eek::eek: I don't understand how the difference could be this much! Does anyone have any experience with brokers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Hi All,

My car insurance is up in the next wee while and I was getting some quotes online and I can't for the life of me work this one out! I got a quote with an insurance broker for 485euro for fully comp, including having one named driver on the policy. The broker has since rung me to explain that the policy comes with all the normal things - windscreen cover, third party cover for me driving other cars etc.
    Out of curosity, I've just gotten a quote directly from the Insurance Company that the broker was working for and the quote is DOUBLE the price :eek::eek::eek: I don't understand how the difference could be this much! Does anyone have any experience with brokers?

Yeah, I've found some brokers to be very good. Every year, I check with the insurance companies directly and ring a couple of brokers also. there's one local to me and another crowd called first Ireland I've found to be very good. Brokers buy policies in bulk and strike deals with insurance companies. That's how they're sometimes able to offer you a better deal:)

This year, Quinn direct gave me the best quote. Not through a broker, but by ringing them, believe it or not. I have to shop around, cuse I generally drive high performance cars that a lot of companies won't even quote for.

As for online quotes, they're a waste of time IMO, you generally get a much better deal by ringing and talking to the broker or to the insurance company themselves. Which one is best is constantly changing:) It always pays to look around and make sure you're getting the best deal:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Thanks for that, I do normally shop around, I've just never seen such a big difference between the quotes. I'll ring the broker during the week and have a more detailed chat with them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I do normally shop around, I've just never seen such a big difference between the quotes. I'll ring the broker during the week and have a more detailed chat with them! :D

No worries, yeah that's the way to go. You tend to get much further talking to a human being than entering your details and letting a generic computer programe be completly in control of your next years insurance premium.

Sure let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

ring a few brokers as some brokers will go with certain insurance companies over others with the commission they get and not get you the best price as a result of this.

Advertisement