Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dhal recipe

Options
  • 17-06-2011 2:46pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

i am looking for yummy dhal recipe for dinner tomorrow night.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

This was on guardian the other day, I can't vouch for any of them though
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/02/how-to-cook-perfect-dal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

I made that ^ Guardian recipe yesterday and I thought it was great, really easy. Normally at the tarka stage I'd include tomatoes and courgettes diced and fried in the spices, based on a friend's recipe, but this was yummy nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

a family favorite, we make this regularly and its delicious. was taught how to make this by a top indian chef.

Tarka Dhal

250 gr. toor dhal
    1,5 liter water
    1 tsp. turmeric powder
    ¼ tsp. chili powder
    salt
    1 tablespoon ghee or oil
    2 tsp. cumin seed
    3 dried red chilies
    1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
    1 onion finely sliced
    2 tomatoes chopped
    1 tsp. coriander powder
    2 tbsp. fresh coriander chopped or dried fenugreek leaves

start by washing the toor dhal thoroughly in water. Soak the toor dhal. Whilst the dhal is soaking prepare the rest of the ingredients.

After soaking: boil the toor dahl in 1,5 liter of water with a pinch of salt, the turmeric & chili powder for 20 to 30 minutes on medium heat (until the lentils are soft).

In the meanwhile heat ghee or oil in a big pot, add the onion, fry until golden brown.
    When the onion starts to brown add the garlic & red chilies and a pinch of salt, sauté for 2 – 3 minutes. Now add the tomatoes and mash a little bit with a wooden spoon.
    Add the cumin seed & coriander powder before the heat rises in the pan and stir into the mixture. keep your pan well hydrated with water when required.
    Add the cooked lentils, mix together, and stir the coriander in. If too dry add some water to give it all a more runny texture.
    Spoon into bowls.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we actually ended up using this recipe with duck, cos we had all the ingredients and it was gorgeous.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1174639/partridge-with-puy-lentil-dhal

Advertisement