Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaoluinn na nDéise

• 17-06-2011 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Dia Daoibh

Tá mé fhein agus mo chairde ag iarraidh eagraíocht nua a chur ar bhún i bPort Láirge ab ainm 'Gaoluinn na nDéise' chun an Gaeilge a chur chun cinn.
    My self and a few friends are trying to set up a new organisation in Waterford, called 'Gaoluinn na nDéise', to promote the Irish language.

Ta súil againn imachtaí a reáchtáil chun deis an Ghaeilge a úsáid agus a fheabhasú a chur ar fail.
    We hope to organise events and activites to give people the opportuinty to use and improve their Irish.

Beidh chruinniú againn leis an Oifigeach Gaeilge ag an Comhairle Cathrach ar an Dé Luan. Tá súil againn go mbeidh muid in ann obirú le cheile chun an Gaeilge a chur nios sofheicthe i bPort Láirge.
    We will be having a meeting with the city council's Irish Language Officer on Monday, hopefully we will be able to work together to make Irish more visible in Waterford.

Ma tá suim agat i nGaeilge agus ba maith leat phairt a glacadh, bí i dteagmháil linn ar ár seoladh R-Phoist: gnadeise@gmail.com
    If your interested in Irish and you want to take part, send us an E-Mail at: gnadeise@gmail.com

Beidh gCiorcal Comhra ar shuil ar Déardaoin seo chugainn sa 'Gingerman Bar'(os comhair Supermaxs) ar a leath h-uair tar éis a naoi. Tá fáilte roimh chách.
    There will be a Ciorcal Comhrá(Conversation Group) on Thursday in the Gingerman Bar (Opposite Supermaxs) at half nine. Everyone is welcome.

Beidh túras go dtí Gaeltacht na nDéise ar shuil Dé Sathairn 25ú lá Mí Meitheamh.
    There will be a trip to the Waterford Gaeltacht on Saturday 25th of June also.

Deá Ghuí
    Christóir Ó Faoláin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Sorry I don't speak Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Gaoluinn na nDeise

Sorry I don't speak Irish.

Is feidir leat an Ghaeilge a fhoghlaim.
    Never too late to Learn;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Is there a cost involved at all?

Is there a cost involved at all?

Le haghaidh ballraíochta, tá muid ag smaoineamh faoi €10 don bhlian.
    For mebership of the organisation we are thinking about a €10 fee for a year.

Tá an Ciorcal Comhrá agus an thuras go dtí Gaeltacht na nDéise saor in aisce.
    The Ciorcal Comhrá and the Trip to Gaeltacht na nDéise is free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

I would prefer to see the little ones have a better grasp of french or german when they leave school to be honest.The beatings from the christain brother was enough to put me off that language for life.God i hated when that projector came out in St Declans and we had to repeat stupid irish phrases.Irish Language RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Irish language RIP? More down to ignorance of our native language. I think it should be promoted a lot more and the Ciorcal Comhrá is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

decies wrote: »
    I would prefer to see the little ones have a better grasp of french or german when they leave school to be honest.The beatings from the christain brother was enough to put me off that language for life.God i hated when that projector came out in St Declans and we had to repeat stupid irish phrases.Irish Language RIP.

Then feck off and establish a French/German group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

dayshah wrote: »
    Then feck off and establish a French/German group.
    BANNED personal abuse :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Theres life in the language yet.. Irish lessons in primary school are a whole new ballgame now compared to what was on offer in some places in the 80's. Ask the children I've taught if they enjoy using Gaeilge on a tag rugby pitch using the phrases they've learned in the classroom first.

Is féidir linn!

BANNED personal abuse :-)

I should have said auf fecken!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think this is a great idea, even at the very basic level having Gaeilge more visible in waterford not only looks well at a general level, but looks very well at a tourist level. Galway has a tourist goldmine because of its embracing of Gaeilge.
    Its really dissapointing to see people not just have no interest in their own language but genuinely have complete disdain for it. You cant blame a language for how its thought/used/abused, it is a language as good as any if not better than some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

Its really dissapointing to see people not just have no interest in their own language but genuinely have complete disdain for it. You cant blame a language for how its thought/used/abused, it is a language as good as any if not better than some![/QUOTE]

My son has just finished his exams and he has no interest in learning Irish, for what?
    Hes got to waste his time studing irish when he could be concentrating his mind on what he wants !!! So why not leave them learn something that is going to be of use to them in the future, Spanish? german? french? what good is irish if your looking for a job in spain or wherever, Typical catholic church again and a few hardliners in gov playing with young peoples lives, irish should be there if you want to learn it on not compulsory, waste of time and effort, IMO ok rant over:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

banjacksed wrote: »
    Typical catholic church again

What the hell does the Catholic Church have to do with Irish and teaching it in schools?

kensutz wrote: »
    What the hell does the Catholic Church have to do with Irish and teaching it in schools?

What? who ran the schools, not to mention the influence they had over everything that happened and went on in Ireland

I've found both English and Irish useful abroad. English for when I want to be understood, Irish for when I don't.

Anyway, plenty of people abroad are very resentful of people who speak English and nothing else. Even Germans/Italians etc appreciate someone who speaks both Irish and English. They think monoglot English speakers are ignorant feckers for forcing the English language on them (in Germany/Italy etc.) If you speak Irish they think at least you are open to other languages, and not just wrapped up in an Anglo-Saxon world.

Anyway, people who go to gaelscoileanna are usually far better at other languages too.

And so as to avoid any further intelligent discussion on the matter here is a pre-emptive sarcastic smiley:

:rolleyes:

germans, french, belgium, can all speak their neighbours laungauge, i know this because iv lived and worked with them for years,9(and many good friends too) They would rather you be able to speak something other than Irish so they can understand you, Got to germany for work and tell them you can speak irish and english, they wont be impressed, as for would they have respect that your able to speak your native tounge, yes of course who wouldnt, as for would irish get you anywhere in europe answer in no, work wise, living, etc,

germans, french, belgium, can all speak their neighbours laungauge, i know this because iv lived and worked with them for years,9(and many good friends too) They would rather you be able to speak something other than Irish so they can understand you, Got to germany for work and tell them you can speak irish and english, they wont be impressed, as for would they have respect that your able to speak your native tounge, yes of course who wouldnt, as for would irish get you anywhere in europe answer in no, work wise, living, etc,

Well, if you want to live in Germany, fair enough. I don't, I want to live in Ireland.

But still the Irish people with the best German/French went to gaelscoileanna. They are simply more open to other cultures and better at learning languages. Are you being anti-Irish language, or pro-French/Germany. Learning one language doesn't push others out your brain.

So, if you want to set up a German/French group, by all means go ahead. I don't object. This thread is about people setting up an Irish group.

If you don't like it, don't go.

Well, if you want to live in Germany, fair enough. I don't, I want to live in Ireland.

But still the Irish people with the best German/French went to gaelscoileanna. They are simply more open to other cultures and better at learning languages.

So, if you want to set up a German/French group, by all means go ahead. I don't object. This thread is about people setting up an Irish group.

If you don't like it, don't go.

Your taking me up wrong, iv nothing against Irish, and i dont want to live in germany, or setup a german/french group :eek: theres nothing wrong with learning new things, please read my fist post

brothers.jpeg

You be careful there decies or they will bet the big stick out again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Talk about hi-jacking a tread, good luck to you Gaoluinn na nDeise,I love my language and it's a pity that some people are so ignorant of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That gingerman things being going on a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Guys, could we please try to keep this thread to Gaoluinn na nDéise.

While the discussion of whether Irish should be compulsory in school or not, is an interesting topic, it doesn't belong in this thread. Nor does discussion on whether Irish is relevant in today's society.

This thread is for people who do have an interest in the Irish Language, and would like to join an organisation to help them improve on it.

My son has just finished his exams and he has no interest in learning Irish, for what?
    Hes got to waste his time studing irish when he could be concentrating his mind on what he wants !!! So why not leave them learn something that is going to be of use to them in the future, Spanish? german? french? what good is irish if your looking for a job in spain or wherever, Typical catholic church again and a few hardliners in gov playing with young peoples lives, irish should be there if you want to learn it on not compulsory, waste of time and effort, IMO ok rant over:D

Sorry to burst your preconceptions, but Gaoluinn na nDéise has nothing to do with either the Catholic Church or the Government.

It is just people who have an interest in the Irish language coming together to try and promote it. That this should draw such distain from some people is disappointing, though not surprising.

I find it odd however that you should have come out with this:
    irish should be there if you want to learn it on not compulsory

By which I assume you mean 'Irish should be there if you want to learn it, but not compulsory'

In the middle of a rant about an organisation which is for those who want Irish, nothing about it is compulsory.

seanybiker wrote: »
    That gingerman things being going on a few years now.

Indeed it has, Gaoluinn na nDéise is being set up by a few people from the Ciorcal Comhrá, Including the guy who started the Ciorcal, Dlofnep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

... Irish people with the best German/French went to gaelscoileanna. They are simply more open to other cultures and better at learning languages...

You mean like the 'culturally open' people of Ring who don't want outsiders coming in and living among them, and that's only their reaction people from Dungarvan. God knows how they'd react to groups of people from further afield wanting to settle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Indeed it has, Gaoluinn na nDéise is being set up by a few people from the Ciorcal Comhrá, Including the guy who started the Ciorcal, Dlofnep.

Yup that's him. Lucky fella knows me years lol.
    Best of luck with it. I'm brutal at learning so ill skip it

Best of luck with it guys, sorry if i hijacked the tread a bit, and i mean that ;)

Best of luck with it guys, sorry if i hijacked the tread a bit, and i mean that ;)

Well here is a word for the day

fuadaigh: to hijack :D

A bit difficult to pronounce thou :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

wagtail99 wrote: »
    You mean like the 'culturally open' people of Ring who don't want outsiders coming in and living among them, and that's only their reaction people from Dungarvan. God knows how they'd react to groups of people from further afield wanting to settle there.

Really? I know a few Dubs living down in An Rinn. They get on just fine there, no hassle at all from the locals, though they did have the politeness to learn to speak Irish before moving there, so maybe thats why.....

Advertisement