Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest place to buy bagged meal/ concentrates

• 17-06-2011 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi just woundering where would be the cheapest place to get bagged meal fairly cheap with a decent % protein any fairly good cheap co-ops about ?.....my local guy (independant) cheapest beef ration is 7 euro a bag 25kg :D will start creep feeding weanling in august ...but at that price they would be lucky to see a bag :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if you are looking for good cheap ration

Avoid The Co-Ops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

snowman707 wrote: »

Avoid The Co-Ops

haha ...where you buy it so snowman ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Avoid The Co-Ops

Not just for meal! For everything. They are simply the greatest rip off merchants, this side of the Danube:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I buy the odd bag of Dairy Nuts in the local COOP just for getting the sucklers in for AI. It kills me just to do that. You know you are being ripped off !!:mad:

pakalasa wrote: »
    I buy the odd bag of Dairy Nuts in the local COOP just for getting the sucklers in for AI. It kills me just to do that. You know you are being ripped off !!:mad:

what kind of money are you paying for a bag pakalasa ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I missed the memo on why co-ops are poor value, we price them all for bespoke mixes and Kerry usually come out on top.

Also cheap and good value aren't the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I missed the memo on why co-ops are poor value, we price them all for bespoke mixes and Kerry usually come out on top.

Also cheap and good value aren't the same.
    + 1 Everyone on here are cribbing about co-ops but they forgot to mention where they buy their bargain feed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well, around Limerick, you can buy 500Kg bulk bags from O'Neills in Castleconnell or Crecora Mills.:D

pakalasa wrote: »
    Well, around Limerick, you can buy 500Kg bulk bags from O'Neills in Castleconnell or Crecora Mills.:D

Plus 25kg bag of Crecora stuff is better than 500kg Kerry stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Of course the co-ops are the worst possible pace to buy anything. Sure aren't they all part of the conspiracy to pay nothing for milk and screw all around them on feed and fertiliser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Surprised nobody has suggested sourcing some barley straight off the combine, run it through a roller and add in some soya and you have a very decent feed for cattle at grass.

Combines will be rolling into winter barley early next month plenty of time to get organised if you were interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

nilhg wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has suggested sourcing some barley straight off the combine, run it through a roller and add in some soya and you have a very decent feed for cattle at grass.

Combines will be rolling into winter barley early next month plenty of time to get organised if you were interested.

Wasn't what the OP asked:pac:

Of course you're right. How much will grain be making this harvest?

polod wrote: »
    haha ...where you buy it so snowman ? ;)

Dairy either Liffey Mills or Roches

sheep Liffey or Stewards

Beef /calf /weanling, Liffey , O'Neill or roches

we usually giove the order to the firm we owe the least amount to :o:o

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Not just for meal! For everything. They are simply the greatest rip off merchants, this side of the Danube:(

I am a supplier, shareholder and ex board member, and I can source most my inputs cheaper than in the co-op

feed, fertilizer, medicines detergents, are dearer in the co op

polythene and hardware along with some fencing stock are about the only areas the co-op is competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

polythene and hardware along with some fencing stock are about the only areas the co-op is competitive

Its amazing, around us the co-op is cheaper for cement and other building products including paint. They are also keen on household fuels. The hardware across the road from it is the cheapest place to buy your bags of ration, wrap and fencing material. Its a complete role reversal.

I have to say that co-ops bug me. They were originally set up as a market place where farmers could sell milk and grain produced on their land. They were owned by farmers (share system) and they tended not to make too much profit - instead they offered the best prices around. This ethos appears to have totally changed. Now they are all about profit. They go against the original ideal - they'll cut prices to the farmer to ensure they make profit - rather than just breaking even.

reilig wrote: »
    Its amazing, around us the co-op is cheaper for cement and other building products including paint. They are also keen on household fuels. The hardware across the road from it is the cheapest place to buy your bags of ration, wrap and fencing material. Its a complete role reversal.

What part of the country you in reilig ....how cheap is the ration there ?

What part of the country you in reilig ....how cheap is the ration there ?

I'm in the North West
    The cheapest beef ration from the hardware is €6.50 for a 25kg bag.
    The co-op's cheapest is €7.25.

Just because its the cheapest doesn't mean that its the best value.
    I get Golden Thrive from Patton feeds in Bulk at €270 per ton. Its miles ahead of any of that cheap stuff.

I'm in the North West
    The cheapest beef ration from the hardware is €6.50 for a 25kg bag.
    The co-op's cheapest is €7.25.

Just because its the cheapest doesn't mean that its the best value.
    I get Golden Thrive from Patton feeds in Bulk at €270 per ton. Its miles ahead of any of that cheap stuff.

cheers lad yeah its all about the protein.....ha ah well same as meself sort of im from longford :D

I have to say that co-ops bug me. They were originally set up as a market place where farmers could sell milk and grain produced on their land. They were owned by farmers (share system) and they tended not to make too much profit - instead they offered the best prices around. This ethos appears to have totally changed. Now they are all about profit. They go against the original ideal - they'll cut prices to the farmer to ensure they make profit - rather than just breaking even.

Many of the CoOp's have long since converted to PLC's! Sold by the farmer owners. The top manager's earn hundreds of thousands in basic salaries, and earn millions per annum in share options and bonuses. Meanwhile the lad, down on the farm, running around with a big pair of wellies and a hole in the arse of his trousers, is running ever faster to stand still, and thst hole in the trousers, is getting bigger and bigger. he wouldn't survive at all were it not for the fact that the wife has a fairly good number.:o

Many of the CoOp's have long since converted to PLC's! Sold by the farmer owners. The top manager's earn hundreds of thousands in basic salaries, and earn millions per annum in share options and bonuses.

I suppose that's the point I was trying to make too. My grandfather and his 2 brothers were on the board of our local co-op when it was first established in the 1940's. They'd turn in their graves if they saw the way that its gone.

• Advertisement

reilig would you mind pm me the name of that hardware store if you wouldn't mind ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

Plus 25kg bag of Crecora stuff is better than 500kg Kerry stuff.

I know a man who lives near to Crecora mills and he finishes cattle. He reckons the Crecora stuff is no good. Instead he goes to a coop which sell the Kerry beef nuts and feeds them to the cattle. He reckons it is better to pay more for the Kerry nuts as the cattle finish quicker. Not sure if he is right so now i feed a bit of both to my cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

everyone has their own opinions about different rations and some will say one is good and another lad will say he was disappointed with it.
    Meal no use unless the grass is good quality too and the cattle are good thrivers, dosed for fluke, worms etc.

Anyway for all that, I think it is very hard beat Quinns in Baltinglass. They are cruel competitive and have lorries going west twice a week. I use their meal for finishers and swear by it. Cheap too and they can make a ration to suit ya if getting few ton.

See you are from Longford POLOD, they would deliver there no panic. PM me if you want my reps number.
    Failing that, Flynns in Mullinfar are doing what looks a decent mix on the Journal for 230 a ton blown in i suppose.
    Also, since you are from LD, I am surprised you havent chatted Paul and Vincent.

Advertisement