Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renmore Barracks: what do they do there? (Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa)

Options
  • 17-06-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at this;
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=swbm4dg7dsyr&lvl=19.15419373612342&dir=349.3407721871201&sty=u&form=LMLTCC

and wondering what they do there?

I see plenty of older buildings, a few new ones, a pitch, a yard, car park. Not much else. It looks more like a college/university grounds than a military base.
    In between oversea's postings what do the soldiers do when based in the barracks, if my memory is correct there is a battalion there? is that around 600 or so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've only been in there twice. What I know of is, the officers and privates mess's, accomadation for soldiers, kitchens, the gym, store's, offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

buzz11 wrote: »
    and wondering what they do there?

... what do the soldiers do when based in the barracks,

Bizarre rituals involving goats and chickens?

Oh, and some days it takes 8 of 'em for several hours to accompany piggy-bank runs through the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

cheap booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Spent a week there myself back in '96 with the FCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

they fire guns and freak the **** out of my dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dan hibiki wrote: »

+1

Their always shooting guns off there. U can hear them from a fair distance away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Oh that's not good.

Didn't think photo's of military bases were allowed to be publically available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

+1

Their always shooting guns off there. U can hear them from a fair distance away!

im a ten minute walk from it, but they may as well be next door. its very bad on a still day. mind you, it will be worth it when the zombie rapture kicks off!:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Don't they just spend their days drinking tea and eating biscuits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

http://www.military.ie/army/organisation/4-w-bde
    4 Western Brigade

4 Western Brigade is an all arms Brigade consisting of combat, combat support and combat service support elements. Such elements include units of Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, Engineers, Communications and Transport. These units are spread throughout the Brigade's designated area of territorial responsibility.
    Area of Territorial Responsibility

The Western Brigade is responsible for military operations in the West of the country. Its area of responsibility includes the counties of Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Longford, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath. 4 Brigade Headquarters is located in Costume Barracks, Athlone.
    Within the Western Brigades area of responsibility are situated various vital installations including;
    • Knock airport
    The Brigade has at times assisted the Civil powers, by providing security at these locations when requested.
    Training

When not involved in operations personnel are in constant training to maintain current skills, become proficient with new equipment and in particular to be able to adapt to a constantly changing environment.
    Brigade training takes place all year round and covers;
    • Conventional Military Operations
    • Overseas Missions
    • Aid To Civil Power
    There is one training area within the Brigade:
    • Carnagh Camp

The Western Brigade is responsible for military operations in the West of the country. Its area of responsibility includes the counties of: Cavan, Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Longford, Offaly, Roscommon, Sligo and Westmeath. HQ of the 4th Western Bde is located in Custume Barracks, Athlone. Other Barracks located in the Western Bde AOR include Columb Barracks, Mullingar, Finner Camp in Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, Dún Uí Mhaoilíosa in Renmore, Galway and Dún Uí Neill in Cavan.
    http://www.military.ie/army/organisation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Watch out in case anyone tries to land troops at Lough Atalia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Judging by the football pitch in OP's Bing Map image, it seems they can play Soccer and Gealic at the same time in different directions.

Now that is something I wanna see !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

and this bunch, but looks like they're due an Snip
    www.rte.ie/news/2011/0629/army.html

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tonight, on Eye on Springfield: just miles from your doorstep, hundreds of men are given weapons and trained to kill. The government calls it the "army", but a more alarmist name would be The Killbot Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They have just arrived in the Lebannon for a six month tour of peace keeping over there, keep safe guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

They probably play a fair bit of Pitch & Putt as they've got a seriously good course down there.

It used to be Members Only ("are ye members lads?"), but I think you can pay green fees now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

They also have a musuem which is open by prior arrangement but is part of this years heritage festival here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was on camp in the barracks once and we were given a tour of the museum.

It's really fascinating stuff, well worth a look for anyone interested in military history/the British Empire/Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Well it IS an army barracks lads. However, as far as I know the soldiers only get to fire approx once a year:eek: and the firing you hear mainly is the Uzi carriers getting to practise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irish National

The Irish Army is a total waste of money and as an organisation is not fit for purpose.
    A few years ago during the height of the recession the Officer Commanding in Galway was drawing 100,000 plus a year for managing an under staffed battalion of soldiers who did nothing productive for society. His fellow officers enjoyed and still do frequently enjoy lavish parties with chocolate fountains and stick roasted pigs in the officers mess at the tax payers expense while at the same time elderly people laid and still lay in hospital trolleys.

The soldiers show up for parade in the morning then disappear all day into their bunks
    some clean the toilets and sweep around the barracks but the vast majority do nothing. There is no compulsory exercise programs, some of the lads pretend to go jogging around 3pm so they jog out the main gates in to their cars and drive home early.

The soldiers from Renmore regularly drive up to Finner camp in Donegal to shooot
    despite having a state of the art firing range in Oranmore. What a waste of tax payers money. They also drive down to Kilworth in County Cork to do some shooting as well.

Soldiers from Galway are often asked to do ceremonial duties for visiting dignitary in Dublin why can't the soldiers in Dublin do this???? Why should us taxpayers have to foot the bill for transporting these soldiers up and down to Dublin and feeding them. It is crazy!!!

In Renmore most soldiers take at least 30 sick days a year on full pay. Prime time ought to investigate this abuse. Did you know that Irish Army officers can retire on a 200 euro a week pension for life with only 12 years service. These free loaders can't even defend the country because Ireland has no tanks, or fighter jets. The Irish army should be disbanded or greatly reduced in size. Out of the 7,300 full time soldiers about 33% are combat ready the rest are over weight.

• Advertisement

Resurrecting a old thread. I posted here over 7 years ago so just got a notification of a new post.

Have you inside information or something as your post is quite detailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Chip on the shoulder he just joined perhaps he got his application for the Army turned down, personally very proud of our Defence Forces and especially the wonderful work they do on peacekeeping around the World

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    Well it IS an army barracks lads. However, as far as I know the soldiers only get to fire approx once a year:eek: and the firing you hear mainly is the Uzi carriers getting to practise!

I was in the FCA/RDF there & can tell you we fired way more than once a year, brass is cheap.

I don't know what a uzi carrier is but guessing it sounds like a fully automatic weapon which I never hear firing there. Well I don't live near there for the past 6 years but from memory I used to just hear single shot rifle fire. Maybe the odd hand gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you think you could resurrect an old thread to take potshots against the men and women who would put their life on the line for you, and for me?
    I think not.

There is a military forum you can vent in, with actual military staff that can answer your allegations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement