Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bike not starting

• 17-06-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,
    I recently acquired a zephyr 750 and i'm having a few probs.
    It won't start for me, when i turn the ignition the starter motor turns ever so slighlty but not enough to turn the engine over, i thought the battery might be dead so i tried a good battery but the same problem occured, i can roll start it and the engine runs fine but idles very low and cuts out, could it be an alternator problem? Any Advice?

Rgards
    Carl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Are you 100% that the second battery was good?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carl456

yes, the fact that it starts when roll started but then cuts out makes me thing it might be a different electrical problem, i left it running to charge the battery but it still wouldn't start the next time i tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it just at idle that the bike stops? Does it rev out?
    Has the bike sat long?
    If has spent time sitting idle then the petrol may have evaporated and left deposits in the carbs blocking jets etc.
    Check the tank isn't full of rust, fuel filter as well.
    Put fresh petrol in the tank, and maybe some fuel system cleaner might help as well.
    Sounds to me more like a fuel problem than electrical.
    If you can get it running then spraying carb clean into the carbs as its running might get them freed up, if not pull them and start stripping them down and checking/cleaning them.
    Also check the voltage at the starter motor, maybe there is a loose connection and there isn't enough juice getting to the starter motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Check the battery with a good multimeter to make sure that it is good battery.
    Make sure the connections on the battery are clean and tight.
    Check that the other ends of the battery leads are also clean and tight. A dirty/faulty earth strap can throw up problems that seem to point elsewhere.

Advertisement