Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

T8 Mod

Options
  • 17-06-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Am looking around for a moderator for a .223 (still waiting on cert to come through so no rush) and was wondering if €295 is right for a T8?

Any other suggestions for a Tikka Tactical? Price Ceiling of €300.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I have a t4 and an atec, i use the atec on my tikka 25-06, its a brilliant mod, only weighs 7oz comes with a two year warranty. You can buy spare baffles if you want and it dosnt have the tinnie noise that the t8/t4 make when they touch off something.

Got mine off John Lambert for 275, would definately recomend the atec.

dr6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

norman harpur in maguiresbridge, co fermanagh is £170 for a t8.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't bother with a T8, They are old tech now.
    Too big and heavy compared to what else is available now, Atec and Roedale mods are far better for the money, They can be stripped down for cleaning and are modular so can be adapted for whatever you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

Is there a difference between a moderator and a silencer.

Sorry for the stupid question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Shane.sf wrote: »
    Is there a difference between a moderator and a silencer.

Sorry for the stupid question

The name.
    A silencer is the Hollywood version of a moderator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

I have a moderator for my .22 and had one for my .223 but thought that silencers totally muffle the sound of a shot but were illegal. Ie millitary grade silencers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Was looking at an atec mod in stakelums today for €275, it can be talen apart for cleaning and you can add on or take off baffles as you like. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it doesn't come down over the barrel and adds a good bit of length, but it is very light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have a T8, very good sound reduction onmy .223. If you get one, each time you get home, warm it on a heater or by fan heater to dry it out a bit but also to heat up the can itself. Reason for this is you spray WD40 into it after, heat helps the WD40 spread inside. The burnt powder attracts moisture and together they eat the metal. I also spray oil, not WD40 on the exterior, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

declan1980 wrote: »
    Was looking at an atec mod in stakelums today for €275, it can be talen apart for cleaning and you can add on or take off baffles as you like. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it doesn't come down over the barrel and adds a good bit of length, but it is very light
    There are reflex versions of the Atec available as well. I always thought that I would prefer a reflex but after seeing a reflex and a muzzle can I opted for a muzzle mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

I got the Ase Utra NS-3S North Star moderator on my .308. Very happy with it. Stainless. Overbarrel. €290 off fergal White. Stakelums do em too. They are silver but can be sprayed black with BBQ or exhaust paint.
    Can't be taken apart. But a spray of wd-40 after each use keeps it clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Hi Guys,
    On a related matter.
    I've a CZ527 in 22 Hornet.
    Would do a nice job on some foxes that have been causing trouble, only thing is, it would be a bit loud around the place at night I'd say. :D

What mod would ye recommend.
    I've seen from reading up a bit that some lads don't think a mod will reduce the bang off a hornet by much anyway. Its a fairly substantial investment, (in or around 250 to 300 euros), so I'm just wondering if any of ye have any experience with a modded hornet, or what ye would think I should go for to quieten things down.

Thanks
    A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I'd go for it, makes the rifle very quiet for a centrefire, i had a jetz compact on my hornet, definately recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Shane.sf wrote: »
    I have a moderator for my .22 and had one for my .223 but thought that silencers totally muffle the sound of a shot but were illegal. Ie millitary grade silencers

As BELOWAVERAGEIQ said, "silencer" is a hollywood name. It also sends Gardai in a panic !

Irrespective of whether you are using a firearm for civilian or military purpose when you put an expantion tank onto the end of your barrel (in effect that is what they are) you will :

Suppress/moderate felt recoil.
    Suppress/moderate sound.
    Suppress/moderate muzzle flash.

All effects that both civilian and military can use to there advantage (ie less sound is better for hearing)

Military Grade suppressors arent illegal, they generally dont pop up much in civilian hands due to there high cost (unless your prepared to fork out for them) but in general with anything "military grade" it simply means there built like a tank and will withstand far more abuse than commercially available products.
    johngalway wrote: »
    I have a T8, very good sound reduction onmy .223. If you get one, each time you get home, warm it on a heater or by fan heater to dry it out a bit but also to heat up the can itself. Reason for this is you spray WD40 into it after, heat helps the WD40 spread inside. The burnt powder attracts moisture and together they eat the metal. I also spray oil, not WD40 on the exterior, just to be sure.

Agreed, I had a T8 and while heavy (they are rated for F/A use) they do take a fair amount of abuse if you take care of them like you described.

GH

Advertisement