Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 1.6 Diesel drinking fuel

Options
  • 17-06-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi lads, i have a 05 S40 SE 1.6 Diesel, 225K km and it is drinking fuel, if i go to dublin and back which is a roundtrip of approx 280 km, it uses half or more of a tank, this surely cant be right? i dont go above 120km on the motorway and i adhere to speed limits everywhere. But no matter what journey im doing it drinks fuel, i called volvo dealer the other day, and they said they will have to run a diagnostics check on it, that its rare for one of these cars to be hard on fuel, that it could be the fuel injectors, has anyone any experience of this problem? and is it costly to get diagnostics check and injector prob fixed?
    I usually go to an Indy mechanic, have had the car 2 yrs, and its never done more than 650 km to a full tank, turbo went in it last yr, intercooler pipe split this yr had to be replaced, soon after buying it i had to get it repaired at volvo dealers paid for by volvo as it was a recall, and had an electronics problem, which would have cost me over E1000 otherwise,
    any help would be great cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Brim the car, run it until it's almost empty, refill, and calculate exactly how much fuel it's using.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭offalyguy25

have done that a lot, and most i have gotten is 650km and thats with fuel light having been on for quite a while too,

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

have done that a lot, and most i have gotten is 650km and thats with fuel light having been on for quite a while too,

Given the Tank is 11.4 Gls and say there is 1/2 a gallon left when the light is on this would give a return of 37 MPG - (650km (404 Miles) / 11 ), seems pretty heavy alright, silly question but are you pushing it very hard through the gears etc, maybe lighter on the accelerator might help things... don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

650km for how many litres?

i usually change up gear before i get to 2500 rpm, as i have always thought this would be easier on fuel, i dont drive hard, like usually between 50 and 60mph on ordinary national roads, but for a diesel car its a bit insane, im not sure what the story is with cleaning fuel injectors, whether its a big pricey job or not, but with the high mileage on the car maybe it would help?

• Advertisement

im nearly sure the tank is 52 to 55 litre

Why don't you try one of those Fuel injector cleaners, pour it into the tank with a fill ... can't do any harm. For the way you drive it does seem very heavy alright

yeah i bought one of those before at fuel station, and poured it in with a fill, didnt seem to make a difference, but like the dealers said, it seems to be a rare problem with the S40, i just know dealers can be expensive, but looks like i wont have an alternative option :mad:

OP Bring it to the dealer and ask how much the Diagnostic check is going to cost, surely can't be that expensive, might find out what the problem is then and be able to rectify

yeah think ill just go with that, might even be a software update to help out, cheers lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

diesel_treatment.jpg

Or

redex%20diesel%20treatment-500x500.jpg

At Least

P_STP_NCT_DIESEL_1.jpg

Pour in with half a tank.

ha nice one YouTookMyName i tried some of that last stuff before alright,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use this to calculate http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
    It should give you closer to 50 mpg.
    Stop using "miles to a tank" as tanks are different size.

Btw, 05 S40 1.6 diesel has 55 litre tank I think. Best check the manual.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055341615

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

biko wrote: »
    Use this to calculate http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
    It should give you closer to 50 mpg.
    Stop using "miles to a tank" as tanks are different size.

Btw, 05 S40 1.6 diesel has 55 litre tank I think. Best check the manual.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055341615

Can only ever get around 50 litres in to the wife's V50, even when it's showing 5km to empty on the OBC. Her's is a 1.8 petrol, but I'd expect the tanks are the same size.

When she was doing 50km's a day, she was getting 700km from a tank, so there is a serious issue with the 1.6d in the OP.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Personally I always found that 1.6 heavy on juice.Serious lack of power in that engine for the weight of the car in my opinion.You have to be quite lets say "firm" with the accelerator to get any decent performance out of it.

When I had one as a CC I was doing 300 miles a week and for that I was using around half a tank--its a couple of years back so I dont have the exact figures but it was quite close to the 40-42 mpg which isnt the best for a diesel.

well even when the fuel light comes on in mine, the trip computer is still showing there is 180km left in the tank, way off the mark, ill be getting it checked out on Monday anyway, surely a diagnostics check will not cost too much in Volvo Dealership?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

surely a diagnostics check will not cost too much in Volvo Dealership?

Its usually an hours labour.95-125 depending on the dealers labour rate.

nice one Hellrazer, thank you, can never be too sure with dealerships, hopefully whatever is wrong will not take a long time to fix at that rate,

nice one Hellrazer, thank you, can never be too sure with dealerships, hopefully whatever is wrong will not take a long time to fix at that rate,

That price is usually just the price for diagnosing the problem--after that it depends on whats up with it.If you get nuts prices from your own dealer for a repair pop me a pm and I`ll see if I can look after you like I do for all boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

We have that engine in the C5 (similar body to the s40) and its relatively economical, the mpg figure should be nearer the 50mpg mark.

• Advertisement

ha well my one is nowhere near that, when i fill the tank i get 1000km left to empty tank showing on the trip computer, but yet i only get 650km at a push, and lately not even that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

i have the same engine in a 407 were i get an average of 550-600mls
    (885 -965kms) to around 60 litres....thats around 44 mpg.
    Long journeys that rises to around 48-50mpg

If your dpf is regenerating alot of the time then your fuel consumption will drop quite a lot.

id expect the dpf problem can be fixed easily enough by the dealer? i have no idea, i was thinking maybe the injectors are clogged, thats a big job altogether

id expect the dpf problem can be fixed easily enough by the dealer? i have no idea, i was thinking maybe the injectors are clogged, thats a big job altogether

If your dpf needs replacing you could try...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFB5DWd9Sg

And top up the additive fluid if required,then get an local garage with good level diagnostic eqiupment to reset the dpf system...:)

Get a leak off check done on your injectors to see if anything shows up.

Mod's please delete as i double posted....:-(

nice one cheers lad, im sure Koping will sort it anyway, or diagnose it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 m s w

R.O.R wrote: »
    Can only ever get around 50 litres in to the wife's V50, even when it's showing 5km to empty on the OBC. Her's is a 1.8 petrol, but I'd expect the tanks are the same size.

When she was doing 50km's a day, she was getting 700km from a tank, so there is a serious issue with the 1.6d in the OP.

Sorry all ! first time doing this. Can anyone help me pls ? - Got the car back after fitting some part into exhauste system -- volvo v50 (i think for the anti-lock brakes - why exhauste system (?) ) - Anyway, after 2nd drive on same day, she just stopped ! No lights on dash etc. Thought i saw warning on dash before it died saying something about airbag. Anyway, battery connection is ok. This definately the worst car i have ever owned ! Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i dont understand these people who come on and just "add" to an old thread with a totally unrelated issue. sometimes i think they are just robots taking the p!ss

Advertisement