Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failed the year. what next?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have failed the year, the letter says thst I am required to repeat the year. What are link-in modules? Could I do that instead of repeating the whole year. If I get C3's in the 4 repeats my QCA would be 1.88.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 JakeyGriff

I had to do two link-in modules myself. they are basically repeating the module and you keep the other scores you got from the year. So, for example, I had 4 Bs and a fail in one of the semesters and I keep my 4 Bs and then did just the one module for the same semester with the year behind me......I'm not rightly sure what the limit of link ins is but it is either 2 altogether or 2 a semester....better look that one up properly tho!

But I'm afraid you will have to repeat the whole year because your QCA will not be greater than 2.00....Sorry!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

patcakes wrote: »
    I have failed the year, the letter says thst I am required to repeat the year. What are link-in modules? Could I do that instead of repeating the whole year. If I get C3's in the 4 repeats my QCA would be 1.88.

Best off asking the Education Officer so you can be sure your getting all the correct info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Afair, you fail the year if your QCA is below 2 and repeating exams cannot get you above 2. If you really want to avoid repeating the year, you would be best off getting exams rechecked (if you are genuinely convinced you should have been marked higher - otherwise forget about it) and repeating the rest.

I only know one guy who did link-in modules and he only did them because the SU messed up and allowed him to do 1st semester of 4th year when he wasn't eligible to do it. They aren't there to completely avoid repeating the year.

As said, talk to the education officer to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Can I ask out of interest how you will only have a qca of 1.88 after repeating (if you pass)? Surely you would have to have a qca of at least 2 seeing as a c3 gives you 2 for your qca?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

If you got the letter from SAA it should have a note from the Student Status Committee explaining which of the 3 repeating paths you are entitled to take.

The options are:
    1) Repeat the module(s)

2) Repeat the module(s) - link in

3) Repeat the year

With a link in you can't progress with your class- you need to clear the fail grade before your progress. Thankfully link-ins are longer capped at C3 as they were in my day. Aoife Kenny, the education officer should be able to explain it in more detail

However on a personal note repeating a year isn't the end of the world. When it happened to me I was really upset but looking back on it, it was one of the best things that ever happened me for a number of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I only know one guy who did link-in modules and he only did them because the SU messed up and allowed him to do 1st semester of 4th year when he wasn't eligible to do it. They aren't there to completely avoid repeating the year.

The SU have nothing to do with letting anyone do anything....Pretty sure you mean SAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patcakes

thanks for the responses everyone. My current QCA is 1.2 and it would be 1.88 if i repeated my 3 fails and 1 of my D2s. I am now considering to change course in UL. The CAO system is closed for the year so how do I go about a course transfer and does anybody know what the requirements are?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boo-yaw-ka-shaa

Not sure what the requirements are but there's info about internal transfers in the student handbook.

http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/201553623.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ms. Education

thanks for the responses everyone. My current QCA is 1.2 and it would be 1.88 if i repeated my 3 fails and 1 of my D2s. I am now considering to change course in UL. The CAO system is closed for the year so how do I go about a course transfer and does anybody know what the requirements are?

Hey,

If you want to discuss your options drop me an email at aoife.kenny@ul.ie and we'll work out a solution from there! :)

Aoife (Education Officer)

Advertisement