Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which amp for dewalt radial arm saw

• 17-06-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi i have a 3phase radial arm saw dw729 that came with a 32amp plug. When the electrician wired it up we could not find the manual for it so he put in a 32 amp mcb. then a few months later we put in a 3phase combination machine which is connected to a 16amp mcb as was directed by the manual. Yesterday i found the manual for the radial arm saw and it says it needs "16 amp per phase". Could someone be able to explain what that means as what i can make out of it is 16x3 which is 48 and that doesn't make since.The only thing that has me worried is there is a bit of kicking noise out of saw when i switch it off so i hope there is not too much power going to it.Any advice would be a great help, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Could someone be able to explain what that means as what i can make out of it is 16x3 which is 48
    That means that each phase should be protected by a 16A MCB. This should be done with a single device, a tripe pole MCB like one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 14 damob2000

cheers. so the 32amp triple pole mcb should be changed to a 16 amp triple pole mcb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

damob2000 wrote: »
    cheers. so the 32amp triple pole mcb should be changed to a 16 amp triple pole mcb?

Yes, thats what needs to be done. It would not have done any harm to the saw having the 32 amp one protecting the circuit once the saw is running normally, but the 32 amp one is probably too big for the cable size in the circuit feeding the saw, although if the proper size cable was used for the saw circuit, it would not have been too bad.

I would imagine a saw that needed a 32 Amp 3 phase supply would be a fairly large saw though.

Whatever load an item takes, the next size MCB up is what should be used. Usually electricians will look at a rating plate on the item if there is one. If he could see nothing then a grip ameter can be used to see what the saw load is.

Advertisement