Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angus - to switch or not to switch???

• 17-06-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

As there's a few Angus breeders on here can I ask a few questions:

What will a nice AA weanling make vs a nice LM or nice BB? (Currently breeding LM and BB out of LMX cows).

How much cheaper is it to keep a handy AA cow than a large continental cow?

I see PTY mentioned as a bull with rapid daily liveweight gain. Going for such a bull, how young is it realistic to finish for slaughter? I see a guy up North in a IFJ article a few weeks ago looking at finishing as early as 12months old!

Finishing AA off grass - how much meal, if any, would you top them up with?

Thinking of making the big switchwink.gif.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just do it wrote: »

What will a nice AA weanling make vs a nice LM or nice BB? (Currently breeding LM and BB out of LMX cows).

I see PTY mentioned as a bull with rapid daily liveweight gain. Going for such a bull, how young is it realistic to finish for slaughter? I see a guy up North in a IFJ article a few weeks ago looking at finishing as early as 12months old!

we bred ptn and ptj. ptj would be a much better bull imo..... we have alot of suckler men coming back for bulls , they are weel happy with them...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

just do it wrote: »

I've run an angus bull for the last few years, I bought him mainly to produce angusX cows.

You will take a hit selling bull weanlings, the most I get for 320-340kg bulls is around 650e. If you go angus prime and finish them yourself, you will do better. One of the better farmers in the journal is doin AA, think its the guy in kilkenny.

How long is a piece of string? All I can say is 10 AA cows fit in a column of a feed passage where 7 bbx or even fr cows fit.

Heifers or bulls? I'd need to be very sure of the market for these before I'd start.

I used to do AAx fr bulls at grass the second summer, tbh they would do better in a shed from end sept on. Can't answer the meal one

The big advantage is calving, you will have more live calves, no de-horning, I'd recommend try a few AA straws on some of the plainer bb heifers, IMO they are a fantastic cross. There is an old thread here somewhere about automatic graders being really hard on AA cattle.

Good luck

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

AA cattle will finish quicker--need less meal/feeding! gain well on grass
    also are easy calving, thus making it easier+quicker to get the mother back incalf quickly
    are also polly-no horns!
    and are lively calves when born-great get up and go!
    Some great Angus bulls out there--with great slaughter rates/scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

blue5000 wrote: »
    The big advantage is calving, you will have more live calves, no de-horning, I'd recommend try a few AA straws on some of the plainer bb heifers, IMO they are a fantastic cross. There is an old thread here somewhere about automatic graders being really hard on AA cattle.

Good luck

Found that thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68627993.

The best option if going the angus route seems to be finishing them yourself. AA producers group premium should balance out the poor grading?

The big attraction seems to be the ease of management being a part time farmer on marginal land. High stocking nos for the same amount of feed, being that bit smaller should mean a few extra days grazing out of the year. All in all, hard to fault them too much, particularly as they're the breed with the greatest consumer recognition e.g. there's an angus steak house in picidilly square in london, and similar angus steak houses in the States. With rising cereal costs on the global markets, producing meat from grass seems to be the way to go (I'm convincing myself as I write!). I like the idea of keeping a heifer for the home freezer as well.

wiggy123 wrote: »
    AA cattle will finish quicker--need less meal/feeding! gain well on grass

What age are you finishing them at?

• Advertisement

i breed them..pedigrees!
    from what i see..uncles--dairy herd.. angus heifers are either heading to bucthers at 15+mths..or factory well before 24 months!
    bullocks the same..and are killing out as good as continteals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

i breed them..pedigrees!

Wiggy

As a pedigree breeder surely your not saying all your bull calves every year are sold as breeding bulls??

i am indeed--there sold at pedigree sales.. whether buyers are farmers are using them for breeding--am unsure! say 90% go on to breed for at least a year..
    same as in most breeds.. i'd say

heifers are either heading to bucthers at 15+mths..or factory well before 24 months!
    bullocks the same..and are killing out as good as continteals..

Heifers for the butcher, how does pricing for those work? Surely they're not mechanically grading them...

paid per kilo just...
    angus steak is the best like...

• Advertisement
Advertisement