Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for lunch in Portlaoise?

Options
  • 17-06-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

I have some visitors coming and would like to bring them out for lunch in Portlaoise. Top choice would have been Jim's Kitchen but sadly it is no longer. Are there any similar alternatives that have a nice ambience and decent food? (not looking for a carvery lunch). I personally like the streat but the food might be a little basic for the visitors. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Hi Darwin.
    Yes,the streat is nice but you want something special, right?
    The Coffee Bean in the Heritage was always nice,but haven't been there in past 2 years so can't be sure what it's still like(or if it's even there).
    If you've got transport,why not take them to Abbeyleix,then you've got either Bramley's ( Tuesday to Saturday from 10am) or Preston House ,Fridays/Saturdays. Either are worth the trip over.My friends and I used to meet up (on rare occasion we were all off work same day:mad:)in Portlaoise but the last few years it has been hard to find somewhere nice!
    Enjoy,wherever you go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up going to the Streat, but will definitely check out those other places for next time. Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Lethean are doing top-notch grub these days too, well worth a look and better than Jim's ever was in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I've brought numerous visitors to Emo teaRooms at Emo Court and Kevin & elizabeth have never failed to impress www.emotearooms.ie Hard not to, with the backdrop of Emo Court & gardens, Georgian rooms, a wine list and a wide range of suitable fare. I booked afternoon tea in a private room once for UK cousins and they were blown away. Kevin's a great chef and host and the surroundings does the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Subway is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Lol subway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Advertisement