Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modified Syn Wave

Options
  • 17-06-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this is not in the right place, but I don't know where else to post!

I have a TV which is 19V but which uses a transformer to accept 240v.

Hope this is making sense, as I have no idea what I'm on about here!!

I need it to be 12v, so I'm buying a 12v - 240v transformer.

However, the transformer is a Modified Syn Wave transformer, it can be seen here: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7403954/Trail/searchtext%3EINVERTOR.htm

Will this power my TV?

Edit, my TV is an LCD TV with LED Backdrop
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Modified sine wave will be the output from the inverter. Once the inverter has a greater power rating than the tv you should be grand. It will br quite in efficient as your stepping up power to step it back down.

A better solution might be to get a laptop 'car' supply, this will take in 12v dc and step it up. These are usually adjustable and will supply 19v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hi

Apologies if this is not in the right place, but I don't know where else to post!

I have a TV which is 19V but which uses a transformer to accept 240v.

Hope this is making sense, as I have no idea what I'm on about here!!

I need it to be 12v, so I'm buying a 12v - 240v transformer.

How do you know the tv is actually 19v, does its power supply transformer say 19v on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

robbie7730 wrote: »
    How do you know the tv is actually 19v, does its power supply transformer say 19v on it?

Yes it does.

I'll look around for a pic of the tv online and post.

peanuthead wrote: »
    Yes it does.

I'll look around for a pic of the tv online and post.

Have a look at the back of the tv itself as well, usually they have a voltage input on a label on the back of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

ehhh that link shows an inverter not a transformer,

its used to change 12v dc to 230-240v ac,

example would be running a table side lamp from your car,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical),

you should be looking for 230v AC - 20v (ac or dc??) transformer from reading above

i think it would be best to get a replacement part directly form the manufacturer or even an oem part.

this will save alot of hassle looking for a similar part as they are not always easy to find,

ebays always good for spare parts

• Advertisement

evosteo wrote: »
    ehhh that link shows an inverter not a transformer,

its used to change 12v dc to 230-240v ac,

example would be running a table side lamp from your car,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverter_(electrical),

you should be looking for 230v AC - 20v (ac or dc??) transformer from reading above

i think it would be best to get a replacement part directly form the manufacturer or even an oem part.

this will save alot of hassle looking for a similar part as they are not always easy to find,

ebays always good for spare parts

Yea but it looks like the OP is trying to get a 19v supply from 12v, and thinking of doing it using an inverter, then plug the tv`s own transformer into the invertor to get the 19v. It does not look like the OP is looking for a replacement transformer.

Advertisement