Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding it hard to get into games

• 17-06-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Recently I have been playing games such as crysis 2, mass effect 2, and l.a. noire. But the problem I am having is that I can't stay focused on the story of the game. i don't know what it is. I decided last week that I would try to get teh 5 star achievement on all cases in la noire, I am on the homicide desk now, but keep thinking to myself what is the point in this. At first i thought the game was good, but it just gets so bloody repetitive it's not even funny.

Even with crysis I played it for a few days, completed about 50% of it and just found it repetiitve. Go here, shoot him, shoot your man, mission over-repeat. I never used to be like this, maybe it's just a phase or maybe im finished with my gaming days, I hope not though. What are peoples opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Try Super Meat Boy. A game that mocks you relentlessly until you beat it. And then it mocks you some more.

No engaging storyline but a hell of a challenge and fun. There's like 20 levels free on the demo I believe, so try it out! It's good to take a break from heavily involving games like ME and pretty much anything by Rockstar (bar Bully). Kick back and remember it's about having fun!

Plus if you 100% the game I will give you fifty euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Try Super Meat Boy. A game that mocks you relentlessly until you beat it. And then it mocks you some more.

No engaging storyline but a hell of a challenge and fun. There's like 20 levels free on the demo I believe, so try it out! It's good to take a break from heavily involving games like ME and pretty much anything by Rockstar (bar Bully). Kick back and remember it's about having fun!

Plus if you 100% the game I will give you fifty euro.

Ha ha sounds like a deal, is it avaialble on Market Place?

Xbox live you mean? Then yeah, think it's 800 points or so but it's insanely huge. And impossibly hard. If you 100% the game you have well earned that fiddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

i kind of agree with you dufffman. while i enjoyed la noire and crysis 2, they just dont make games like they used to. i think the problem may be that games are nearly too realistic now which has taken away the fun factor. if you look at some of the classics years ago such as mario, sonic and even duke nukem 3d, we played those for hours and hours, played the same levels over and over again, because they were fun. now when i complete a game i might never play it again, the replay value just isnt there anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Recently I have been playing games such as crysis 2, mass effect 2, and l.a. noire. But the problem I am having is that I can't stay focused on the story of the game. i don't know what it is. I decided last week that I would try to get teh 5 star achievement on all cases in la noire, I am on the homicide desk now, but keep thinking to myself what is the point in this. At first i thought the game was good, but it just gets so bloody repetitive it's not even funny.

Even with crysis I played it for a few days, completed about 50% of it and just found it repetiitve. Go here, shoot him, shoot your man, mission over-repeat. I never used to be like this, maybe it's just a phase or maybe im finished with my gaming days, I hope not though. What are peoples opinions on this?

I get this feeling every few years and I just take a complete break for two or three months from everything about games. I usually am reinvigoured for a while again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

da gamer wrote: »
    i kind of agree with you dufffman. while i enjoyed la noire and crysis 2, they just dont make games like they used to. i think the problem may be that games are nearly too realistic now which has taken away the fun factor. if you look at some of the classics years ago such as mario, sonic and even duke nukem 3d, we played those for hours and hours, played the same levels over and over again, because they were fun. now when i complete a game i might never play it again, the replay value just isnt there anymore...

I agree but the reason we played those games for countless hours is there was no save points (for the older ones at least) can you imagine trying to play some of the more recent games and having to go from start to finish in one go? but to me the pic below sums it up perfectly

225265_1731361363633_1226486201_31495466_573401_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I have to agree, modern day games play themselves. LA Noire is a perfect example. If you are lost in a mission, after 10 minutes your partner will drop a durty great hint telling you what to do and if you still miss it after another short period he will mark the point on the map.

Get yourself on the arcade, many of these are real games, real challanges, i love the motor cross game - Trails HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

GAAman wrote: »
    225265_1731361363633_1226486201_31495466_573401_n.jpg
    i think this one describes me better

22526517313613636331226.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I only got L.a noire last week and it's impressive and all that but I'm just not that into it!

but ya games play themselves

i enjoyed limbo and portal recently for game that are a bit different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

This is why I'm actually loving Duke Nukem Forever. Playing it through on the highest difficulty setting, it's taking me ages to complete. Unfortunately a lot of the reason for that is the God awful loading times but on top of that there's things like the mammoth boss battles where yes, you actually can run out of ammo and yes, they actually will take you a good few attempts to complete. I just know that once I have it completed I'll feel an immense level of achievement.

On the other hand I have L.A Noire, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2 and Borderlands all bought in the last six months give or take and, thought they're all fantastic, the difficulty structure just doesn't find me staying in. Instead they're longer and easier so most sessions involve me breezing through levels with no hassle only to find I get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

I would have felt slight comfort in reading this thread a couple of years ago, I was forlorn, confused and worried about my sudden but noticeable diminished interest in gaming. I blamed myself! Then I looked at my recent history. I played games that played themselves. Or worse yet, I didn't play and I got left behind, unable to join raiding groups in Warcraft in the guild I started! I even worked for blizzard, I was honestly me and games are done? It happened again with black ops. I thought, I should love this, I loved mw2, why don't I love this, I keep winning and finishing first in my team, but I hate this.

It's the games. Their just not good enough. In single player they don't require enough, I heard you can pay through black ops without killing a single drone bad guy only the key point kills that you need to progress the level. Are their even levels anymore?? I seem to remember a very ****ing noticeable increase in difficulty in Sonic, so why am I not getting that with any game these days? Designers have too many toys now, too many distractions.

I truly love gears of war though, I recently hit it up again and it's such a frustrating laugh/shout fest. 2 weapons and the odd special weapon to spice it up, horde mode is so much fun and very ****ing hard, and it looks and feels brutal and punishing, there is a legitimate skill to the weapons and if you snooze you lose, fact! I'm done with 95% of offline gaming because it's uninspired. I will be getting gears 3 for my Xbox and Bf3 and skyrim for my PC and that's me sorted I reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I actually found LA Noire and Crysis 2 both to be repetitive as well(even though I still consider them good games). I kinda feel like I'm going through something similar but I have a load of games there that I haven't finished that I think may peak my interest again. For instance, I played Lost Odyssey yesterday for the first time in about 2 years having never finished it and I'm really getting back into it. So I guess it is down to the games we play more than anything else! I must buy that Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, it'd be nice to play a few classics again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Yeah I purchased la noire few days ago and have nearly completed it , I found the game like an automatic ferrari nice to look at but drives itself so not as much fun as manual.

I wasn't expecting a response like this, I thought it might just be me. The last game that I really got into was Fallout 3, I remember sitting down for hours on end playing it and it was great. I didn't particularly like Vegas, i don't know why, I think I might have been expecting a bit too much. I think I will give the xbox a break for a month and see how it goes.

Vegas lacked charm for me, bought the first DLC when it was on offer but still haven't tried it out. Thought the scenery was too boring and too faraway from what 3 had. The storyline wasn't good overall IMO and didn't get involved in it. And too much of the scenery was just to look at, there was no point to it. And the amount of invisible walls I got stuck in, ugh!

But seriously check out Super Meat Boy before you turn that xbox off. Very different from the games listed here, but it's the only game I've played that makes the Mega Man franchise look easy. Unlocking The Kid was a nightmare too, hoooooo boy! Literally left the xbox on overnight as didn't think I could do stage one of the warp zone again if it came to it. As I said, loads of free levels so you're not really losing out if you don't buy it! Limbo was enjoyable too, while I played it it wasn't exactly fun, but it has a charm and is quite *different*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting a response like this, I thought it might just be me. The last game that I really got into was Fallout 3, I remember sitting down for hours on end playing it and it was great. I didn't particularly like Vegas, i don't know why, I think I might have been expecting a bit too much. I think I will give the xbox a break for a month and see how it goes.

I know what you mean, I loved Fallout 3. Loved it. Loved it.
    I expected waaaaaaaay too much and was disappointed.
    A few weeks ago I had a look at the achievements for the game and decided to play by them. They got me into every possible outcome and style of playing the game. Try it and see! Only 6 more cheevos to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I find it hard to get into games these days unless it's from a series I love or is a truly epic game. I think it might be due to how overly complex game controls have become.
    These days I find myself returning to retro compilations or GBA games.
    I've managed to experiance some of the old classics I missed out on because I was too young such as Punch Out! on the NES and the Atari 2600 games.

I think im nearly finished LA noire now , and to say I NEVER GOT INTO IT would be an understatement. How this game scored so high is beyond me , there is little or no game play at all :-( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Gonna give it a go again later on, I'll probably trade it back in pretty quick, not even interested in getting the extra non "mission" type stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭mrm

Hi Duffff-Man,

the games you listed (not referencing ME2, as I have yet to start it, but probably still applies) are 'games' that masquerade as movie plots wrapped in gameplay, but due to the lack of story telling talent in the gaming world they generally disappoint, instead allowing substandard cutscenes to get in the way of gameplay, which is meant to be the forte of developers. Unfortunately too many modern games are taking this route. I'd go as far as saying that IMHO LA Noire is not even a 'game', in the true sense. Crysis 2 is IMHO the best of a jaded genre. So I think the issue is with the games and not the gamer. Note the games suggested by posters above are gameplay orientated and I would completely agree with the suggestions.

Just one huge gleam of light on the horizon to hold on for is Dark Souls, coming to the xbox in October. I assume, due to the ME reference and the location of this post, that you are xbox only and therefore have not experienced the PS3 exclusive Demons Souls? Demons Souls is a game in the truest sense. Pure unadulterated cerebral-engrossing-sweaty palms gameplay with no superfluous story or lenghty poor cutscenes to get in the way. And it is seriously Tough, but not impossible! Dark Souls will be much the same, but with increased difficulty according to the developers.:eek: It harks back to the old days of gaming, when an integral and essential part of the gameplay was 'difficulty' - that element that made us keep coming back for more fustrating yet sadistically enjoyable punishment, just to be able to proudly triumph and so be granted a pass to the next fustratingly insurmountable obstacle.

Unfortunately the insurmountable obstacles in a number of todays mainstream games are boredem and a sense of detachment due to lack of gameplay and substandard dialogue and narrative. Don't let falsely hyped sh*t like LA Noire put you off. It just shows that you are a discerning gamer.;) Maybe just move away from the mainstream games for a while. Anyway don't give up! I'm sure Rhianna/ Beyonce (like LA Noire- decent facial thingy with minimal substance) hasn't put you off listening to music?

Subliminal message for OP only: The PS3 has some good exclusives. Just sayin'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

The Last fun game i played was Ghostbusters, It was frustrating at times but was fun overall,

I liked New Vegas over Fallout 3 the story was slightly stronger and the choice of who to side with gave the feeling of actual choice and not choose a,b,c and all lead to d.

I'm the same with LA Noire, just getting boring, i still have to complete red dead, just got repetitive too,

Got rid of Halo Reach as i just found it boring as well, only two other games i've done that with, King Kong and Far Cry 2.

Guys thanks for all the replies. Im going to leave LA Noire and all those other crappy games in their boxes for a while and focus on some stronger games. I've taken all the suggestions on the everybody has listed above. Is there any more games that you can suggest that I might have missed out on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

thing is la noire is a good game it just doesn't hold my attention. You could rush through it or play one case a week like i'm doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed L.A Noire for a bit ... then completely lost interest. I'm seriously considering trading it in for Dirt3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed L.A Noire for a bit ... then completely lost interest. I'm seriously considering trading it in for Dirt3.

I found the same with Portal 2. Realised I was just playing it for the sake of it, to try and finish it. Figured what's the point and traded it for LA Noire. I've been impressed with LA Noire in some aspects, but I've been on the 3rd disc for about 3 weeks now and haven't gone near it in that time. I think I will finish it out but no idea what to trade it for. Deus Ex looks like the next big interesting one for me prior to Gears 3 and then the fapfest in November between AC: Revelations, Skyrim, Fifa, and MW3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Plants vs Zombies on XBLA. I'd also recommened Vandal Hearts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Little Pea wrote: »
    I think im nearly finished LA noire now , and to say I NEVER GOT INTO IT would be an understatement. How this game scored so high is beyond me , there is little or no game play at all :-( .

agreed. i rented it first and knew after one night at it that it wouldn't be worth it to me to purchase. very impressive scripting and voice acting, beautiful animation and graphics, but as far as a gaming experience: just a glorified choose-your-own-adventure book (if anyone remembers those: you chose 'he's lying' - turn to page 34 etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

yes , take a break....we all burn out on even AAA games from time to time

I bought Medal of honor today for €18 euro just about to start it , as ive finished LA NOIRE. I hope I enjoy it :-)

But I will say im looking forward to Autum and Battlefield 3 , Batman , Gears of war , New Oblivion :-)

WHY CANT THEY RELEASE SOMETHING DECENT NOW THOUGH :-)

• Advertisement

Arkham City is the game im looking forward to most. I downloaded the trial of plants vs zombies last night and played it for 10 minutes before heading to bed. First thoughts were that it would be terrible, but it's actually pretty cool. Going to buy the full game at the end of the month when it's pay day!

Advertisement