Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quad Shutting Down

Options
  • 17-06-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Just saw on their facebook page that the Quad is shutting down forever.
    Its a sad day for the pub scene in Cork. I always enjoyed the gigs they had on in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

To be totally honest, it's probably the one pub in Cork that I go out of my way to avoid, even though a few of my friends love it. I've just never liked the atmosphere in there. It is sad though for it to go, it's got a lot of loyal customers and for people who go there and enjoy it, I don't think there's any other pub that would really come close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Wheres the quad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Wheres the quad ?

its on tuckey street across from tribes cafe, just off grand parade,

i always liked the place,
    i used to get turned away at the door of the brog for being drunk, had to much etc etc, went to the quad and always got in:)
    i will be sad to see it go, although i havnt been there in a long while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

why is it closing down?debts?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Doubt its finacial.....the owners hav their fingers in many a pie....shame though. As an ex staff member...many a lock in I enjoyed in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I would go in there the odd time. It was the same crowd as the Brog but never not as half as busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

:(
    Terrible news. It was the nicer, quieter, less packed version of the Bróg. Always had a great night whenever I was in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

I remember being in there once with a few lads from school after our LC graduation watching Saving Private Ryan in the Quad. I must say the people in there that night were sound out as well, should have went there a bit more after that though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

This sucks. It's a great venue and I've been to some really good gigs there. I'm gonna hate to see it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Boo.

Presume it is for an extension to The Bowery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Good. I hope the Slate goes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

What's wrong with the Slate?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I loathe the Quad, just have absolutely nothing in common with it's clientèle (I find them to be contemporary fashion enslaved hipsters), the jacks are disgusting and it's fairly dull in my experience.

I much prefer the Slate, bit odd considering they're right next to each other.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was never in the slate,whats that like?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sad day indeed.

I've been going to the Quad for many years, is my favourite bar, and loved the atmosphere.

Never really seen hipsters in there, was always more of a metal crowd around and a few students, but no as bad as the Brog.

I don't wanna go back to the Brog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Was never in the slate,whats that like?

Grand pub in my experience. Friday and Sunday's used have good bands on there when I used go there. Staff seemed friendly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

bladebrew wrote: »
    its on tuckey street across from tribes cafe, just off grand parade,/QUOTE]

Oh Mollies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Looks like the Quad is going to become an overflow pub for the Bowery which is doing great business so i hear.

Dean820 wrote: »
    Grand pub in my experience. Friday and Sunday's used have good bands on there when I used go there. Staff seemed friendly enough.

Ah I must check it out sometime so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Ah Sh!te. I've had many happy times in there over the last (almost) 10 years. I'm not entirely surprised as it's been pretty dead during the week, but as the only late licence rock pub in Cork it will be greatly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

CoalBucket wrote: »
    bladebrew wrote: »
    its on tuckey street across from tribes cafe, just off grand parade,/QUOTE]

Oh Mollies

Mollies indeed - many a good night in there - at the back on the left by the fireplace, must be 15 odd years ago now. Off to the Keg then! Easily ammused in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Bad blow to the local music scene and touring bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Bad blow to the local music scene and touring bands
    Hear, hear. Sorry to hear it's closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Thats a shame. Wouldn't be into the kind of bands they used to have, but watched a lot of matches there. Always a decent bit of banter and a sound crowd. €3 pints till 9 too!

Advertisement