Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lethargic Kitten

• 17-06-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

I just got an 8 week old kitten from the animal home. She has been vaccinated and treated for worms. For the first few days she has been really lively and playing all the time but today she won't even get up, she's just lying about. She is eating a bit but not much but she hasn't been eating too much since I got her and she's quite small. Do the vaccinations have an effect on their energy levels for a while or is it likely to be something more serious. And yes, I am aware the answer is go to the vet but I can't go until next week.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Is she drinking at all? Kittens can get dehydrated and go downhill very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

I tried to get her to drink some water there but she was having none of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I really don't think you should wait.. My cats/ kittens have gotten lethargic twice. Once from lily poisoning, the second time a bad kidney infection. And according to my vet they were lucky I brought them in! Sorry not trying to scare you!

Kittens can be very sleepy after vaccinations, did they get them today?

she got them a couple of days ago. She was out of her mind lively the last few days, so I was hoping maybe she's just crashing now and feeling tired. I'll see how she is in the morning and if there's no change I'll bring her to the vet.

Shots can make kittens quite ill but they should be ok by now. I hope your kitten improves,i know how stressful it can be!

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

You really should bring her to a vet. Some vets are open on a Saturday and Sundays.

Maybe try some lactol powder.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

marxcoo, if she's lethargic - flat, sitting tucked up small, not interested - she needs to see the vet asap. Kittens don't do days of time out after energy. An allergic reaction to teh vaccination will usually show up within 24 hours. This is something else.

she's a little bit better today. she eating and walking around slowly but still isn't right. Going to bring her to the vet now. Thanks for the help guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hope she's ok we had this before and turned out kitten was constituted. So some gel stuff in her mouth 3 times a day for a week and she went on to catch many birds and live a happy life.
    Hope all went well

How did you get on in the vet? Hope she is ok!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Any update?

hey guys, I didn't end up bringing her to the vet, she started to pick up over the weekend and she is great form again..causing chaos. Maybe she was just trying to adjust to her location. I got her some cat milk and changer her food so she seems hapy out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

marxcoo wrote: »
    hey guys, I didn't end up bringing her to the vet, she started to pick up over the weekend and she is great form again..causing chaos. Maybe she was just trying to adjust to her location. I got her some cat milk and changer her food so she seems hapy out now!

Aww great :)

Just a tip for ya, we got our new baby lactose free avomore milk (you can get it in most supermarkets) and she loves it and app its better for them then the cat whiskas milk! :)

Best of luck with her :)

Advertisement