Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant Hamster

• 17-06-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Sister recently (about a week ago) got a hamster from a local petshop/gardening centre in Celbridge. It's fine, but today my sister noticed that a baby hamster popped out. Thus I'm wondering what food should my sister feed the hamster, what food is good for baby hamsters, and what bedding/etc would be good for the hamster.

Currently the hamster has "boarded up" the "door" of the little house that is in the hamsters cage, and my sister doesn't really know what's happening. She's going to go upto the petshop tomorrow for advice on wtf to do, but I was thinking someone here may know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Sorry that I can offer absolutely no advice but if you can will you post a picture? I bet it's awful cute! I hope someone can be of help..

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Heya, congrats on the new arrival(s)! Had this situation a few times with my ex-hamsters (if there's a male on the scene, take him out of the cage asap, poor Coco got preggers probably 2-3 days after having her first litter!)
    Your sister should leave the hamsters alone for the time being, as if she disturbs the "nest" the mother could reject the babies or even eat them...which she might do anyway, first time mothers often do this. If she notices any dead babies, remove them quickly. The babies won't need food for a few weeks, you'll see them start to nibble on "grown-up" food. The mother will wash and groom them (probably the cutest thing you'll ever see!) so no worries there. Just add some fresh bedding and straw/sawdust, and remove what she can without going too close to the nest.
    Food-wise, I fed my hamster her usual dried food, but also gave her little pieces of broccoli and boiled egg, it was recommended for her protein intake while she was feeding. Plenty of fresh water too, in a bottle so that the babies don't end up in the bowl.
    As soon as they're independent of the mum, get them out of the cage, either sell them or get another cage, they tend to get vicious and territorial when they get older.
    Hopefully this helps, Coco, Vivi and I raised 17 lovely little furballs altogether before I realised how quickly baby hamsters were made...

Advertisement