Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Music * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

What Irish Music essays are people learning?

The Collectors
    Céilí Band
    A group that fuses styles (The Chieftains)
    An Irish Composer (Seán O'Riada)
    Regional Styles
    Ornamentation

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Introduction: F Sharp (Drops 2 Semitones during theme) F minor, E minor
    Exposition: B minor (Canon in D minor)
    Transition: D Flat Major
    Development: B minor (F Sharp heard in F.L.T)
    Recapitulation: B minor (Strife) D Flat Major (Love) F Sharp Minor (F.L.T)
    Coda: B Major

We need to know KEYS??? Are you serious?? Feck it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

PJelly wrote: »
    Yeeeeah, our teacher realised that we didn't do music for the junior cert and so sped through the course.
    We call "Anacrusis" melodies, "The ones with the yoke at the start" :)

We call them upbeat melodies!:)

My teacher doubts there'll be a minor melody, she reckons it'll be a major melody with an upbeat. It's near impossible to predict though:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

what compositional techniques does Tchaikovsky use in R&J ? i cant find a list or reference anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you can hear the key yourself on the extract it shouldn't be too bad. Imagine the note in your head, that's what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Well we had to learn them all for our Summer Test this year so i'm guessing you do! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Would any of ye be willing to have a look at some melodies i've been doing? I really don't know if I'm doing everything alright so a second opinion would be lovely :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

*sees thread, reads the word "aftermath", gets all excited coz that word = official end of my exams*

Would any of ye be willing to have a look at some melodies i've been doing? I really don't know if I'm doing everything alright so a second opinion would be lovely :o

I'll have a look, sure I'll count it as study.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Eoin MurMur

Fbjm wrote: »
    I'll have a look, sure I'll count it as study.

Sound (no pun intended :rolleyes:) ! Will I email them to you?

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    If you can hear the key yourself on the extract it shouldn't be too bad. Imagine the note in your head, that's what I do.

Hear the key myself?? :eek: No way I can do that, lol! Fair play to anyone that can!

Hear the key myself?? :eek: No way I can do that, lol! Fair play to anyone that can!
    Really? I find it easy to do so I just assumed it was something anyone could do :confused: I don't even bother learning the keys, I just go by what I hear. Although I did notice the Bach on the CD is a semitone off what's written in the score so I have to be careful.

Really? I find it easy to do so I just assumed it was something anyone could do :confused: I don't even bother learning the keys, I just go by what I hear. Although I did notice the Bach on the CD is a semitone off what's written in the score so I have to be careful.

I'd love to be able to do that but I have no ear for music whatsoever! All I can do is read it when I play! :mad:

Sound (no pun intended :rolleyes:) ! Will I email them to you?

Yeah go on :) pm them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Have you been doing music since junior cert?
    I started halfway through 5th year. Now I have relative pitch. Sounds like you have absolute pitch. Prick :p.
    When I have my bass and hear a song for the first time, I kind of know where the general sound I'm looking for is, and can usually start playing along with a slight bit of trial and error. But I can't accurately imagine single notes in my head yet.
    I've a friend who's just finishing music in DIT (very talented) and you can say "A SHARP" and he can hum an A sharp. He can do it with any note. Strange :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've been playing Piano since I was 4 and Violin 7 years and I haven't a clue how to do that at all! :O, jealous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭many

I love the B sections... Duh duh duh duh.....duh duh duh

hahaha, made me lol

duh duh duh duh, duhduhduhduhduhdudhuhd, duh duh duh, duh duh duh

I started halfway through 5th year. Now I have relative pitch. Sounds like you have absolute pitch. Prick :p.
    I started doing it in 2nd year but I've been playing and listening to music for a VERY long time. I mean, my music teacher told me it was a bit of a gift because she couldn't do it but I honestly think it's not difficult if you learn. Best way of getting perfect pitch is to associate each note to a song you know. That's how I started doing it and now I find it easy to hear a note unless it's ridiculously high or low. It's a great party piece at friends houses, they hum a note into a tuner and I name it, look on their face is priceless :P

I'm still hopelessly bad with composition funnily enough :P Always breaking the 'rules'.
    many wrote: »
    hahaha, made me lol

duh duh duh duh, duhduhduhduhduhdudhuhd, duh duh duh, duh duh duh
    NRR NRR NRR NRR, NURNURNURRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Quick question for the Melody.

Me and two others since the start of 5th year have been incorperating our own jingles into the end of our melodies. Be it McDonalds, Meteor, Spar, Harry Potter , Rule Britannia to name but a few. We're all wary at this stage however as we may be marked for plagerisim...

Anybody shed some light ?

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Quick question for the Melody.

Me and two others since the start of 5th year have been incorperating our own jingles into the end of our melodies. Be it McDonalds, Meteor, Spar, Harry Potter , Rule Britannia to name but a few. We're all wary at this stage however as we may be marked for plagerisim...

Anybody shed some light ?
    That my friend, is genius.
    I don't know if you'll get marked down or not. But I'm turning my B phrase into the little mad bit before a pokémon battle now.

• Advertisement

I started doing it in 2nd year but I've been playing and listening to music for a VERY long time. I mean, my music teacher told me it was a bit of a gift because she couldn't do it but I honestly think it's not difficult if you learn. Best way of getting perfect pitch is to associate each note to a song you know. That's how I started doing it and now I find it easy to hear a note unless it's ridiculously high or low. It's a great party piece at friends houses, they hum a note into a tuner and I name it, look on their face is priceless :P

I suppose I do that song thing too. Now I think of it, I can imagine an A sharp and a D in my head. Coolio :D

NRR NRR NRR NRR, NURNURNURRRRRRRR
    (Hommage a Horowitz) de deedle deedle do de deedle DeEdle dO dEddle DEEDLE DOO DEEDLE DEELDE *boom*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

When I have my bass and hear a song for the first time, I kind of know where the general sound I'm looking for is, and can usually start playing along with a slight bit of trial and error. But I can't accurately imagine single notes in my head yet.
    I've a friend who's just finishing music in DIT (very talented) and you can say "A SHARP" and he can hum an A sharp. He can do it with any note. Strange :P.

I can't do this thing with naming the key just from listening! Even though I can pretty much play something straight away after hearing it once or twice (trad) I wouldn't be able to tell what key I'm playing in! I just know it sounds right!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skbbs

in terms of people thinking that they can add a previous published well know piece into the melody writing question this is very much a NO NO!!! I did this music course two years ago and you should know that the examiners play each individual melody for movement, form, structure and cadences etc. I would try to keep the melody as simple and melodic as possible with original phrasing. That is the melody that will earn the A grade for sure. If there is an anacrusis melody, dont forget the rules and make sure you do not write a major melody if it is a minor. D grade straight away. The other tips I can advise is to take plenty of time to write your melody and think about the chord structure that the notes you use make up etc.

Good Luck :-)

(Hommage a Horowitz) de deedle deedle do de deedle DeEdle dO dEddle DEEDLE DOO DEEDLE DEELDE *boom*
    Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

C♯ - D -G - E - C♯ - D - C♯

Go play it!

C♯ - D -G - E - C♯ - D - C♯

Go play it!
    It sounds so messed up on a bass with octaver turned on :p

cause Barry didn't make it for a bass :-p

cause Barry didn't make it for a bass :-p
    I challenge you to find something it sounds *nice* on.

Synt maybe?
    Tbh I think it sounds pretty good on violin!

• Advertisement

There are parts of the Piano Quartet I actually like (A, B1) but then there are stupid moments like all Section Cs, the frankly stupid piano solo and the anticlimatic ending, that make it a joke to me.

Advertisement