Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Music * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Is it really worth learning like that? They will never ask "Name all the sections in order".

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

For every Melody (to a given opening) we write we were given a chordal plan. I that what everyone did?

My teacher (who isn't great) told us to go I-vi-V-I , vi-IV-V-iv , vi-ii-V-I and we have a different plan for Minors. Is that alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is it really worth learning like that? They will never ask "Name all the sections in order".
    Oh I memorise things in picture form way better. If I know the order, and a section comes up that I'm not 100% sure about (if it's C2 or C3 or something). If I know what comes after it, I can picture the order in my head, and THEN remember what it is.
    Long and badly explained process I know. But I find that knowing the order like that helps me to remember which is which and what features they all have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thumbelinaxo

PJelly wrote: »
    Oh I memorise things in picture form way better. If I know the order, and a section comes up that I'm not 100% sure about (if it's C2 or C3 or something). If I know what comes after it, I can picture the order in my head, and THEN remember what it is.
    Long and badly explained process I know. But I find that knowing the order like that helps me to remember which is which and what features they all have.

I do this too!

I do this too!

Hence my love of biology :p. It's all pictures basically!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

For every Melody (to a given opening) we write we were given a chordal plan. I that what everyone did?

My teacher (who isn't great) told us to go I-vi-V-I , vi-IV-V-iv , vi-ii-V-I and we have a different plan for Minors. Is that alright?

A chordal plan?

For part B, we use : IV - I - ii - V

For the A parts, we work out the chords in the given opening and apply them to the melody, with a cadence (usually V - I) at the end.

Same thing for the minor melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

is it true in the listening paper, if you get something wrong, they disregard one of your right answers and if you have nothing right for that particular question its minus marks?

joyle wrote: »
    is it true in the listening paper, if you get something wrong, they disregard one of your right answers and if you have nothing right for that particular question its minus marks?

That's biology.

Could someone tell me the difference between retrograde and inversion?
    In a handout I have, they're listed as the same thing. Must be a misprint I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 joyle

PJelly wrote: »
    Could someone tell me the difference between retrograde and inversion?
    In a handout I have, they're listed as the same thing. Must be a misprint I assume.

retrograde = reversed i.e. played backward

inversion = upside down i.e. notes "inverted"

i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

joyle wrote: »

Music does employ negative marking according to our teacher. He said that if they ask for ONE specific answer and you give two they'll give you nothing. Also if they ask a question which requires at least 2 points to get full marks, if you give one correct and one incorrect point they'll cancel each other out and you'll get nothing. If you get a question wrong it won't affect any previous correct answers you have given. It will only affect points/answers within the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Is it OK to put a V-vi 'Deceptive cadence' in the B phrase of the melody. I really don't trust my Music teacher. :confused:

Is lord mayo's delight at the end of Barry an inversion too?
    Whey mention composition techniques I assume they mean frequent rhythm changes, inversions of irish tunes etc?

@Markthebaby I've never even heard of that kind of cadence.

Is it OK to put a V-vi 'Deceptive cadence' in the B phrase of the melody. I really don't trust my Music teacher. :confused:

I've never heard of a deceptive cadence?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

V - vi is an interrupted cadence, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Niall171

Common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Niall171 wrote: »
    Common sense

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .Ellie.

I had the most horrific chemistry exam ever due to asking a chemistry teacher (who is well known to get As and a few Bs from her students) what she thought would come up. I studied said topics in depth (at the weekend) and not a single one came up. Moral of the story, skim through everything, don't do specifics, you'll regret it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Niall171

You see ^^^ that's retarded.. Skimming chemistry is smart... Music is such a small course I'm comparison to the others. Learn everything! Especially what I predicted. I'm telling you it will be that way...! If I'm wrong I'll buy everyone a pint ;)
    Bascially learn everything or you'll regret it.. Don't listen to this spoofer above!

Bascially learn everything
    Is that your secret to success?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CupcakeOfRikku

Does anyone have the times of the sections of Gerald Barry? It's wayyy too hard to follow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Does anyone have the times of the sections of Gerald Barry? It's wayyy too hard to follow :eek:

A - 0:00 (Obviously XD)
    B1 - 1:08
    C1 - 1:50
    C2 - 2:17
    B2 - 2:53
    C3 - 4:01
    D1 - 5:26
    D2 + B3 - 5:38
    E1 - 6:05
    C4 - 6:30
    C5 - 6:53
    E2 + D3 - 7:48
    C6 - 8:13
    C7 - 8:43
    F + C8 - 9:12
    C9 - 10:03
    G - 10:23
    H - 10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

heading off for a 3 hour music class now our teacher has organised. If i'm not on tomorrow best of luck everyone. Have a bad feeling Tchaikovsky is going to be Q1 as opposed to Bach :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .Ellie.

You see ^^^ that's retarded.. Skimming chemistry is smart... Music is such a small course I'm comparison to the others. Learn everything! Especially what I predicted. I'm telling you it will be that way...! If I'm wrong I'll buy everyone a pint ;)
    Bascially learn everything or you'll regret it.. Don't listen to this spoofer above!

All the learning has been done throughout the 2 years (as it's "such a small course"). It's only skimming through the info that's left to do.
    Niall171, you just gave people specifics to learn off and now you're coming back with "learn everything".. Contradictory much?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

This is what's coming up:
    Upbeat major melody
    Minor harmony

Q1 tchaikovsky
    Q2 bohemian
    Q3 Bach
    Q4 Barry

Essays: The harp , regional styles, something to do with foreign music
    And ceili band.
    The harping tradition came up last year, as did the influence of Irish folk music on the folk music of North America.

Irish music is too unpredictable, it's easier to learn everything, or at least know enough to spoof...you can't really narrow it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

G.J. wrote: »
    A - 0:00 (Obviously XD)
    B1 - 1:08
    C1 - 1:50
    C2 - 2:17
    B2 - 2:53
    C3 - 4:01
    D1 - 5:26
    D2 + B3 - 5:38
    E1 - 6:05
    C4 - 6:30
    C5 - 6:53
    E2 + D3 - 7:48
    C6 - 8:13
    C7 - 8:43
    F + C8 - 9:12
    C9 - 10:03
    G - 10:23
    H - 10:30
    Ah **** that, wing it and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Anyone know where I can get good definitions for overdubbing, antiphonal singing, multitrack recording?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Anyone know where I can get good definitions for overdubbing, antiphonal singing, multitrack recording?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdubbing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiphon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording

• Advertisement

Anyone have any tips for identifying the form of a piece? A,A1,B etc?
    I find it hard to tell when one piece ends and the other one starts.

Advertisement