Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Music * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Overdubbing - successive recordings of voices/instrumental sounds are layered over each other to produce a fuller texture. It enables choral effects to be produced from one singer.

Multitrack Recording - same as overdubbing. Recording "multiple tracks" over one another to produce a fuller sound.

Antiphonal Singing - Where there is a direct dialogue within the singing in a question answer format. e.g "Let me go. Bismilah! We will not let you go. Let me go. Bismillah..." etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

PJelly wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips for identifying the form of a piece? A,A1,B etc?
    I find it hard to tell when one piece ends and the other one starts.
    Yeah, form has ALWAYS been my weakest point with the Irish tunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Well in Irish Music it's either going to be Binary (AABB) or Turnary (ABA). So if it goes back to what you heard originally you'll know it's Turnary. Thats usually how I figure it out. Although I have played trad before so I might be able to distinguish it better. At least it's usually only one/two questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Anyone have any tips for identifying the form of a piece? A,A1,B etc?

I think all Irish dance tunes are A,B,B,A but after that i'm as lost as you XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I think all Irish dance tunes are A,B,B,A but after that i'm as lost as you XD

Dance tunes are AABB:)

I play trad, but even the ones where they ask to work out the form of the songs catch me! All you can do is try and work out when the phrase ends, and if it sounds the same or different...tough enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

There's two of us in our Music class, and the other lad is a BEAST of a trad player. He always destroys me in the Irish Music section!
    I didn't even know things like Binary and Ternary existed until he used them in an answer.
    And he always gets 10/10 in the essays, off the top of his head.
    Prick :p

There's two of us in our Music class, and the other lad is a BEAST of a trad player. He always destroys me in the Irish Music section!
    I didn't even know things like Binary and Ternary existed until he used them in an answer.
    And he always gets 10/10 in the essays, off the top of his head.
    Prick :p

OT, but what does he play?:P

Dance tunes are AABBsmile.gif

I was more lost than I thought :p

I was more lost than I thought :p

If you're unsure, just listen to a few on youtube, and you'll notice they play the first part twice, and then the second part twice = AABB:P

You'll be grand!:P

_meehan_ wrote: »
    OT, but what does he play?:P
    He doesn't just play the accordion. He molests it.

• Advertisement

To that "Form" question, look at 2009 Q5 excerpt 1 (iii)
    HOW is that AABB??! There's two parts I'll admit. But to me it sounds like it goes ABAB.
    Even when I know the answer and try to fit it around the song, I can't see it.

I suppose at least it isn't worth a huge amount of marks. I'm most likely going to get it wrong anyway.

He doesn't just play the accordion. He molests it.

:eek:
    I'm a lot nicer to my fiddle...:P

To that "Form" question, look at 2009 Q5 excerpt 1 (iii)
    HOW is that AABB??! There's two parts I'll admit. But to me it sounds like it goes ABAB.
    Even when I know the answer and try to fit it around the song, I can't see it.

Just looked at it there, the form is AABB alright. The parts are repeated before moving on! The only thing you can do is listen to as much as you can! I suppose for people who don't normally listen to trad, that particular excerpt is very fast, and probably a bit harder to decipher the form! Don't worry too much about it, it won't be worth that many marks if it's up!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Could someone tell me how you tell a double and single jig apart???

Is there anywhere we can get sound files for say, the 2001 listening paper?
    I've done the rest and have the CD on my ipod. But it's only as far as 2005. Is that how fat the CD goes normally?
    It broke a week after I put it on my ipod :P

I assume double jig is the same as sip jig?
    My trad friend has a trick for remembering time signatures of trad music. Jig is "Rashers and sausages" :p
    Say it along to a jig, it'll fit the rhythm.
    A slip jig is "Rashers and sausages rashers and".

_meehan_ wrote: »
    :eek:
    I'm a lot nicer to my fiddle...:P
    My bass has been through so much abuse, I expect it to leave me someday for a gentler musician :D

I assume double jig is the same as sip jig?
    My trad friend has a trick for remembering time signatures of trad music. Jig is "Rashers and sausages" :p
    Say it along to a jig, it'll fit the rhythm.
    A slip jig is "Rashers and sausages rashers and".

Yeah, I know that - I can tell a slip jig and single jig apart... so a double and slip jig are the same thing then? :confused:

so a double and slip jig are the same thing then? :confused:
    That's what I was wondering :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Is there anywhere we can get sound files for say, the 2001 listening paper?
    I've done the rest and have the CD on my ipod. But it's only as far as 2005. Is that how fat the CD goes normally?
    It broke a week after I put it on my ipod :P

www.edco.ie/lcmusic :)

• Advertisement

That's what I was wondering :p

A double jig is 12/8, a slipjig is 9/8 and a jig is 6/8

Okay, got it right now I think.

Single Jig = 6/8, Rhythm is crotchet, quaver, crotchet, quaver (du, dudu, dudu, dudu, kind of swing)
    Double Jig = 6/8, Rhythm, (rashers-and-sausages)
    Slip Jig = 9/8, Rhythm quaver quaver quaver crotchet, quaver, dotted crotchet ( - - - | - |.)

Just looked up some double jigs on youtube.
    Very hard to tell them apart from slip jigs IMO.
    Suppose you just have to check if the phrase ends on the first or second rashers and sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

Anyone know how long you should spend at the harmony question (Q5.) and then the melody question (Q1.) cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Cydoniac wrote: »

Single Jig = 6/8, Rhythm is crotchet, quaver, crotchet, quaver (du, dudu, dudu, dudu, kind of swing)
    Slip Jig = 9/8, Rhythm quaver quaver quaver crotchet, quaver, dotted crotchet ( - - - | - |.)

We were taught a good one for slips tonight.

Rashers-and-sausages-sizzling

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long you should spend at the harmony question (Q5.) and then the melody question (Q1.) cheers.
    It's up to you really. I usually take longer on the backing chords than on the melody. Melody takes me 30-40 mins then I'll spend the rest on backing chords a little left over to check stuff.

I am worried with composition...always seem to be forgetting little details...

Cydoniac wrote: »

Thanks a lot!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Can tell i had not done a melody in ages tonight .

Got 20/40 in class. Forgot instrument, dynamics, put modulation wrong side. Should have been around 32/35 but all of those marked me down. I even managed to get Meteor in.

• Advertisement

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Can tell i had not done a melody in ages tonight .

Got 20/40 in class. Forgot instrument, dynamics, put modulation wrong side. Should have been around 32/35 but all of those marked me down. I even managed to get Meteor in.

Better to make the mistakes today than tomorrow!

Advertisement