Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Music * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

You know how you need to resolve an upbeat melody in the very last bar, by putting in the right amount notes to balance the upbeat?
    Look at 2007 (Pg 45), at the end of the given, is that it resolving itself?
    Or do you need to start at that bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Whiskey757

PJelly wrote: »
    You know how you need to resolve an upbeat melody in the very last bar, by putting in the right amount notes to balance the upbeat?

What? You're confusing me now :P You just grab the first 3 notes and shtick them into the last bar on each line (except the last). The very last bar should only have one and a half beat in it (a dotted crotchet)

By the way ... IRISH ESSAYS! :eek:

Apparently the predicted ones are Recent Developments in Irish Trad music, An Irish Trad Group, The Collectors, And Céilí bands.

I only have the Collectors and like a tiny bit for the developments. Is there any where I can go to download the rest?

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    What? You're confusing me now :P You just grab the first 3 notes and shtick them into the last bar on each line (except the last). The very last bar should only have one and a half beat in it (a dotted crotchet)
    Our teacher said that for upbeats, just proceed as normal. But in the last bar, balance out the upbeat. Liker here there's one and a half in the upbeat. So have one and a half in the last bar.

But at the end of the given, there's one and a half too. Making it look like it's resolved itself.
    *looks at other upbeats and realises they're all like that*
    O.O
    What has our teacher been showing us.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. . .does anyone have a formula for SECT 2 Q5 of the composing for finding the cadence points. . .is it just when the music appears to reach a temporary break, or is it something a little deeper. . .and does there always have to be 4?

• Advertisement

Our teacher said that for upbeats, just proceed as normal. But in the last bar, balance out the upbeat. Liker here there's one and a half in the upbeat. So have one and a half in the last bar.

But at the end of the given, there's one and a half too. Making it look like it's resolved itself.
    *looks at other upbeats and realises they're all like that*
    O.O
    What has our teacher been showing us.

Yeah, you take the first three notes and put them into the last bar, even the last bar of the given. The very last bar of the whole thing should be the ONLY bar with not enough beats in it (apart from the very first, where they give the upbeat itself)

Whiskey757 wrote: »
    Yeah, you take the first three notes and put them into the last bar, even the last bar of the given. The very last bar of the whole thing should be the ONLY bar with not enough beats in it (apart from the very first, where they give the upbeat itself)

Oh so you DO have to finish the given.
    Danke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .Ellie.

Good Luck everyone!:)
    If Barry does come up let's hope the supervisor is so appalled by the sound they feel the dire need to leave! [Queue exchange of answers:p]
    Doubt it'll happen though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

For the upbeat melodies, we just put a new upbeat at the beginning of each phrase, leaving the last bar "unresolved" as such, just don't put a bar line at the end, except at the very end of the melody, where you have to put a double bar line to show that it's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Haha, I can't wait to see the look on the examiner's face when Barry comes on. Hoping it's something horrible like Section C1 or C7. C7 still gives me a leap of a fright when it suddenly bursts in with that horrible loud note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I think it'd be brilliant if Bohemian Rhapsody is the main question...considering nobody's expecting it...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Barry, Tchaikovsky, Bo Rhap, Bach.
    Here's hoping :)
    I'm SO ready to be done :D:D

The only thing hanging me up now is the Irish essay. Worth learning 3, is that safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Cydoniac wrote: »
    The only thing hanging me up now is the Irish essay. Worth learning 3, is that safe?

Dude, wing it. Get a few random trad facts that you can throw into any basic essay and you're there.

One more question. Can you do a chord progression of V to V7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

One more question. Can you do a chord progression of V to V7?

Yep :)

Fbjm wrote: »
    Dude, wing it. Get a few random trad facts that you can throw into any basic essay and you're there.
    Learn the name of any two trad players too. Just so you can say for something like ornamentation "X's version of (trad song) will never sound the same as Y's version". Or something along those lines.

Also chordwise, you can also go Ic-I.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

A major melody with an upbeat and a minor harmony. Just what I expected! :D:D

Ceili Bands essay was what I was hoping for and I knew Bach better than the other works (excluding Bo Rhap ofc).

They were nice papers I thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Nice paper.
    Hopefully I'll get what I need out of it

I can't really tell how I did on the composition. I was thrown off by the minor backing chord question and tried to avoid both major 3rds AND minor 3rds doubling. Hopefully I got away with it. I did pretty well on the listening though I reckon. Who compared Bumblebee to Romeo And Juliet Fantasy Overture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

I can't really tell how I did on the composition. I was thrown off by the minor backing chord question and tried to avoid both major 3rds AND minor 3rds doubling. Hopefully I got away with it. I did pretty well on the listening though I reckon. Who compared Bumblebee to Romeo And Juliet Fantasy Overture?

I did, but I made a mistake on one of them. I said Programme Music, which was grand. I said they both exhibited elements of being composed in the Romantic Era. >< Oops!

I thought Q1 was odd, modulating to 5#s, my teacher wasn't pleased with that but meh, I managed.

OMG I'M DONE!

Who compared Bumblebee to Romeo And Juliet Fantasy Overture?

Same. . .I said it because of rushing string semiquavers and pizzicato strings in accompaniment for both. . .by the way, who else said pizzicato for the accompaniment question of same question?. . .was torn on that one. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Me. I'd say it was the obvious one.

In excerpt three for question 5 the irish music, was it an accordion or a consertina?

Me. I'd say it was the obvious one.

In excerpt three for question 5 the irish music, was it an accordion or a consertina?

. . .it was a flute. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Who compared Bumblebee to Romeo And Juliet Fantasy Overture?

Yupp me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

OMG, it feels so sureal, and great. Absolutely lovely paper. It really rewarded you if you knew your stuff.

Melody, was lovely. Harmony was beautiful, it all fell in place. I compared the bumbeled thing to Rome and J as well :D

Oh, and OMG IM DONE! YEAHH, I can have my life back now :D :d

The Irish music question where they asked for the dance and time signature? What was that? I guessed hornpipe and did sets of 4 semiquavers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .Ellie.

I can't really tell how I did on the composition. I was thrown off by the minor backing chord question and tried to avoid both major 3rds AND minor 3rds doubling.

I was completely thrown by that too. I just sat there for 10 minutes thinking, the examinations board have made a major mistake with the box of chords! Then realization kicked in :)

The Irish music question where they asked for the dance and time signature? What was that? I guessed hornpipe and did sets of 4 semiquavers

Twas a reel. . .in fact, it was "The Flogging Reel" from Mary Bergin's second album "Feadoga Stain 2". . .I realised what a tradhead I was when I realised I had all 3 recordings on my iPod. . .

• Advertisement

It's not fair that the trad fans get such an advantage over the non-trad fans :P

Advertisement