Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Music * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

. . .it was a flute. . .

Sorry I meant excerpt one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Sorry I meant excerpt one :D

Ok, that makes more sense:D. . .accordion. . .Tony MacMahon I believe. . .doesn't matter what type of accordion you say, they'll give it to ya either way, as long as you don't say musette. . .not a concertina, though. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

Very happy with the set works...did crap in Irish music thou...
    Composition was good, wasn't sure if I was doubling 5ths at the end thou :/
    Ill take a B

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It's not fair that the trad fans get such an advantage over the non-trad fans :P

Well, it is our national heritage, so there is a little justification in that regard. . .children of teachers and lecturers, Gaeltacht people, and people of foreign extraction get certain unfair advantages when it comes to receiving both Leaving Cert points and college places in this country as well. . .nearly everyone has some kind of unfair advantage at some stage in school. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Such a nice paper! My favourite work came up, and the questions on all the others were grand. The trad section was beautiful! I knew 2 of the tunes that were played in the excerpts, so all good, and céilí band = epic win!:D

Unheard excerpts were so nice too! I compared the bumblebees to R&J...obvious choice I'd say!

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »
    The trad section was beautiful! I knew 2 of the tunes that were played in the excerpts, so all good, and céilí band = epic win!

. . .Mason's Apron and Flogging Reel, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

One more question. In the essay about Irish dance tunes, was it meant to be about dance i.e. Jig, Reel, Hornpipe or was it supposed to be specific songs?

One more question. In the essay about Irish dance tunes, was it meant to be about dance i.e. Jig, Reel, Hornpipe or was it supposed to be specific songs?

General and specific features, I assume. . .so the general ornamentation, flattened 7th, ect stuff, and specifics about jig,reel,hornpipes. . .with examples of each tune type, eg. "The Bucks of Oranmore" for a reel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

. . .Mason's Apron and Flogging Reel, by any chance?

Yup! Some nice listening!

Yeah it's about the dance tunes, but you have to give named examples of each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Non trad features anyone? I said horn and drumkit.

• Advertisement

Non trad features anyone? I said horn and drumkit.

. . .accompanied melody. . .I love the way that adding a guitar and percussion counts as a non-trad feature

Speaking of brass, what Instrument did people pick out for Q1 of Aural skills?. . .I said tuba, but I'm notoriously poor at that question, so. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Lovely paper, delighted Bach got 25 marker. Had put work into Tchaikovsky and Queen for the 25 marker as Bach was always my best. Helped me big time answering on the Tch and Queen and we pretty much did that exact Barry question in a class last night in school.

SUMMER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Lovely paper :)
    I knew the unseen listening section pieces - BUMBLEBEE!

ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZzZZzZZZzZZZZZZzzzZZZZZzzZZZzzzZZZzzZZZzzzZzzzz

I compared it to R&J - program music, and Romantic genre. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

WOOOOOOOP!! Summer babaaay :D Music was bea-utiful.. messed up the harmony question with timing and forgot to put in the flats.. :mad: ugh finished nonetheless! It'd be fine for only its the easiest question on the whole course :pac: Hope to land me an A2. that'd be quite nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

electricdad you don't happen to have a link to the last trad piece do you ? My head shot up and a smile on my face when the brass came in. Thought it was a great piece of music

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

YES, I'm looking for that third Irish Music piece. The first two playings I was staring into space listening with glee xD

Oenone wrote: »
    Lovely paper :)
    I knew the unseen listening section pieces - BUMBLEBEE!

ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZzZZzZZZzZZZZZZzzzZZZZZzzZZZzzzZZZzzZZZzzzZzzzz

I compared it to R&J - program music, and Romantic genre. :)
    Did the exact same.

I'll have a video version of the tune on YouTube in a half-hour. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Fcuking BACH!!! might not get my A now :/ parents are not going to be happy campers...

• Advertisement

Did the exact same.

I called program music word painting, my mind just went blank. Tell me they wouldn't penalise me too much for this?

Fbjm wrote: »
    I called program music word painting, my mind just went blank. Tell me they wouldn't penalise me too much for this?
    Well the only thing is, neither of them used words, so I don't know if it would count or not :s

What did they mean when they asked what kind of recitative it was? I said Tenor Recitative, only because I recognised the voice as tenor, and basically said the description was that it was modal, with a tenor voice, representing the lonlieness of the song.

Well the only thing is, neither of them used words, so I don't know if it would count or not :s

What did they mean when they asked what kind of recicative it was? I said Tenor Recictative, only because I recognised the voice as tenor, and basically said the description was that it was modal, with a tenor voice, representing the lonlieness of the song.

...right. Well, here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

It's not fair that the trad fans get such an advantage over the non-trad fans :P

Na-ah! Coming from a trad background, I had to learn how to write in the bass clef, learn all the different composing/instrumental styles, learning the set works with no previous experience of music written as such, I mean an 80 page tune? :p

And I can never tell between half the classical instruments! Personally I think that the classical backgrounded pplz have the biggest advantage - maybe even 175/200 compared to trad 25/200! Just my opinion! Rant críochnaithe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

What did they mean when they asked what kind of recitative it was? I said Tenor Recitative, only because I recognised the voice as tenor, and basically said the description was that it was modal, with a tenor voice, representing the lonlieness of the song.

Well, i put down recitative secco(dry) and my explanation was that it had very scarce accompaniment, which is true! i hope :pac:
    But who knows, your explanation should merit you an attempt at least :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

Well, i put down recitative secco(dry) and my explanation was that it had very scarce accompaniment, which is true! i hope :pac:
    But who knows, your explanation should merit you an attempt at least :)

Yeah michael, that's spot on. We looked over that piece in class the day before so I was delighted with it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

brian93 wrote: »
    Na-ah! Coming from a trad background, I had to learn how to write in the bass clef, learn all the different composing/instrumental styles, learning the set works with no previous experience of music written as such, I mean an 80 page tune? :p

And I can never tell between half the classical instruments! Personally I think that the classical backgrounded pplz have the biggest advantage - maybe even 175/200 compared to trad 25/200! Just my opinion! Rant críochnaithe :D
    And then there's the people without a trad OR classical background.
    We're pretty much f***ed so.

Advertisement