Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD = wow

Options
  • 17-06-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Picked up one of these as my OS drive.

Incredible boost in performance opening programs, loading in games etc. No more disk thrashing. Chrome, picasa, itunes open almost instantly.

Recommended!

Here's a vid I found on youtube to demonstrate.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really want one of those :(

Just waiting til they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yeah the're sick, got a Ocz Vertex 2 last year just for the OS to go on it, pity Steam doesn't fit on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Eyed them up when building my new pc but no way in hell could I justify the cost of one, and the amount of memory for the price is ridiculous.....yeah I'm just jealous OP :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

KilOit wrote: »
    Yeah the're sick, got a Ocz Vertex 2 last year just for the OS to go on it, pity Steam doesn't fit on it :(

exactly, I'm waiting til I won't even need normal hdds any more, as I will have a huge ssd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, they're great. None of this waiting for programs to open nonsense of the past, or going off to make a sandwich while your PC boots. You get used to it pretty quickly and you notice it more going back to a HDD PC rather than upgrading!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

cant wait to get myself 1 too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

I used t put my pc into sleep or hibernate when i was away from it, now i just turn it off as it boots so quick. :)

Just wish i had spent a bit more and got a 64gb model, as 32gb doesn't really give you that much wiggle room once windows 7 is on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Goose81

el dude wrote: »
    I used t put my pc into sleep or hibernate when i was away from it, now i just turn it off as it boots so quick. :)

Just wish i had spent a bit more and got a 64gb model, as 32gb doesn't really give you that much wiggle room once windows 7 is on there.

How much space does windows 7 take up, did u use 32bit?
    Mate wants to upgrade his pc and looking at using a 32gb ssd for just the operating system and programs and a regular hd for music etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Goose81 wrote: »
    How much space does windows 7 take up, did u use 32bit?
    Mate wants to upgrade his pc and looking at using a 32gb ssd for just the operating system and programs and a regular hd for music etc.

22GB with Windows 7 64bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

I have just done a bit of googling and it seems the minimum recommended drive size is 20Gb for a clean install of Win7. I would be careful getting a drive that small as your main OS drive + applications/games because it will fill very quickly and it's not good to fill up an SSD as you lose performance. And when Windows starts installing updates and things it will eat up drive space.

See if he could afford a 60Gb SSD, it would be a much safer and more comfortable option. You can find 60Gb SSD's for less than €100 now.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-vertex-2-sataii-2-5--solid-state-drive--oczssd2-2vtxe60g--72K9.html?refs=41580000-4294946440-361720000-52750000

There is ways to make your Windows 7 install size alot smaller, simple things like removing hibernation gives back a few Gigs and then there are some more advanced things that will reduce the size if you really wanted to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,303 ✭✭✭Goose81

Apperantly 16gb is the minimum size for 32 bit installation.

I would think 32gb would be ok because the only applications that would be installed would probably be office and itunes.Its just used for web browsing and music, no games etc.

I presume if it did fill up there would be no problems installing the applications on the secondary hd?

Yep, I have Steam installed on my 2nd drive and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So people got ssd drive as main for os, then games on your second drive? Would it still improve gaming performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

So people got ssd drive as main for os, then games on your second drive? Would it still improve gaming performance?

Yeah, that's what I have. A 60GB SSD and Samsung F4 for Steam and storage.
    Works well for me.

Btw, I'd recommend anyone thinking of getting an SSD to get a 60/64GB one, at the very least.
    My default Windows 7 install, with basic programs added, takes up just over half of my 60GB OCZ vertex 2 SSD.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

+1 ^^

64GB is enough for OS and essentials. The 32/40GB ones must be very tight. With 64GB, you still have to be careful not to install random junk or clog up your desktop.

I have a few select games on my SSD. The few that would benefit from it, Oblivion, GTA, stuff that is always background loading. RTS don't really gain anything since most data is preloaded.

Oblivion is extremely quick loading areas off the SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

16GB-25GB is the typical size of a win7 os install these days. But dont forget you will need to install a few more programs like Java, Flash etc etc. 40GB would really be the smallest you should use for a OS drive. I'd love another SSD to fit just my steam games on, but a 512GB SSD is just slightly out of my price range.

a 512GB SSD is just slightly out of my price range.

you could buy a complete gaming PC for the price of a 512GB SSD HDD! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

16GB-25GB is the typical size of a win7 os install these days. But dont forget you will need to install a few more programs like Java, Flash etc etc. 40GB would really be the smallest you should use for a OS drive. I'd love another SSD to fit just my steam games on, but a 512GB SSD is just slightly out of my price range.

Having seen the sort of kit you treat yourself with from time to time I'd say only very slightly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Picked up my first SSD last week. An OCZ Agility 3 60GB.

Have it in my Acer 7540 laptop. The thing flies! Happy out.

I might throw up a video of the boot when I get a chance. Seriously fast :)

The laptop is only sata II so doesn't exploit the full potential of the Agility which is rated at: Read speed up to 525MB/sec, Write speed up to 475MB/sec.

However there wasn't much difference between this getting a sata 2 SSD and my thinking was that if I find the 60GB to be too small I will get a 120GB and chuck this in the main rig so I can then take use of the sata III.

So yeah, SSD FTW!!:):D

how much and where? I like the sound of getting one of those...or waiting til the 120 is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

I got mine from MemoryC.com for €115 with free shipping :)

That was last week though when it was at a special of €120 and I used the code: PPL811 to get a further 5% off.

You could get it for €127-5% = €120 with free shipping from them now.
    also
    Dabs.ie have it for €107.50 and free shipping...But "Ordered upon request"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

quarryman wrote: »
    Picked up one of these as my OS drive.

Incredible boost in performance opening programs, loading in games etc. No more disk thrashing. Chrome, picasa, itunes open almost instantly.

Recommended!

Here's a vid I found on youtube to demonstrate.
    It's great until you go into work the next day and find it's ruined your patients for ordinary computers. No matter how high speced the PC is your working with if it hasn't got a SSD it seems sluggish.
    Sunshine! wrote: »
    Eyed them up when building my new pc but no way in hell could I justify the cost of one, and the amount of memory for the price is ridiculous.....yeah I'm just jealous OP :)
    I think you can justify if you see it just as a place to keep your operating system. Don't think of it as a hard drive.

It's a pain in the hole getting programs to stop using the C drive, updates for those programs is another pain as they don't want to go anywhere but the C drive, you have to leave a few GB free at all times for unforeseen things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

I put a 60GB SSD in my MSI Wind (which only had an 80gb 5400) last year (and doubled the RAM) and it gave a new lease of life to the machine, it wasn't one of the top notch SSDs either, got mixed reviews but a reasonable price at the time.

My last build was a mini itx (Antec ISK 100, AMD Zacate E350), so I put in a hybrid Seagate Momentus XT 500gb, which incorporates a 4GB SSD. Doubt it would be as good as the video posted, but definitely no complaints here :)

D.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Having seen the sort of kit you treat yourself with from time to time I'd say only very slightly :pac:

Hah i wish. I don't even know how to start to explain to the boss (The missus) that i wan't to spend that type of money on a SSD. Still, my Birthday is coming up soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hah i wish. I don't even know how to start to explain to the boss (The missus) that i wan't to spend that type of money on a SSD. Still, my Birthday is coming up soon :)
    Opening up your present.... Is it an SSD???? No, socks and a novelty tie. Thanks. :mad:

Oh how that reminds me of my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

My order from Overclockers should be here today.

Was grabbing myself 8Gb of ram and making the upgrade to 64bit Windows, and thought while I'm installing a new OS, why not onto a SSD

Got this RAM
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-183-OC

Anf this SDD
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-075-OC

Read write speeds seem high, storage isnt alot but I will just be lobbing on my OS, WoW and Starcrft 2, from checking folder sizes I should have space to boot.

Fingers crossed its a noticable and consistent performance boost.

Was told it will help my WoW game to run smoother and just better all around which seems confirmed, I'm just hoping applications and programmes are snappier and open quicker.

My machine is pretty good and quick as it is, so figured I'd just take the plunge see wha tthe fuss is about

Will keep yas posted :) ~Should be there when I get home today

• Advertisement

Enjoy!

Applications will definitely feel faster, as will your Windows boot time. I have a dual-boot of Windows, one off my SSD and one off my HDD and I can easily tell which is booting by the amount of time i have to wait before I get a usable desktop.

Advertisement