Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD = wow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Recovered wrote: »
    I'm on my first SSD drive and, like the rest of you guys, I'm loving it!

Apparently the failure rate is quite high but with this type of performance, worth it!

As per the hot/crazy scale:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/05/the-hot-crazy-solid-state-drive-scale.html
    :eek: Crap. Mine seems to have been installed around 15-04-2010 going by my help thread in here so it's over a year old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've contacted Overclockers to find out if I'm eligible for a full refund and for how long.

I'm willing to give it time and to do the firmware update cause the speeds are unbelieveable

But having things crash isnt acceptable, my pc has rarely had problems in years and the last two dyas have been stressful

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right lads got the crucial m4 yesterday. Installed windows 7 very quickly, after a number of reboots for OS updates I got a blue screen. Windows 7 couldn't repair it. So I don't know whether it was a dodgey update or hardware related.
    After a reinstall all seemed okay.

But this morning I had some errors on booting, claiming that the disk couldn't be accessed. This happened twice before it booted normally.

Well its safe to say I'm not impressed so far! I don't know whether to call it quits and get my money back or to stick it out for another few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got 4x 2gb of the ocz ram (but the platinum 7-7-7-20, not the gold one) from overclockers, aloong with two 60gb ocz agility 3's and a Radeon HD 6870 and made the mistake of just throwing everything in at once (with the two SSD's in RAID0).

after lots of bluescreens and taking everything out, it turned out that the ram won't work at your motherboard's stock settings and will cause freezes galore even at optimal settings if you use 2 pairs, which is a bit sh1t if you ask me, considering it's desktop ddr3. :(

strangely enough, the two 60gb SSD's are (so far, touch wood) working perfectly, although not nearly as fast as i was expecting, even with SATA2 and isn't actually much faster than my old single corsair 60gb SSD, which i replaced as it didn't get on very well with my motherboard and kept corrupting.

unfortunately, it seems like OCZ are going to leave me blowing in the wind with the RAM, so i'm going to try and get that replaced in favour of something a little better. should have known something was fishy with it when it showed up in the overclockers specials. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Right lads got the crucial m4 yesterday. Installed windows 7 very quickly, after a number of reboots for OS updates I got a blue screen. Windows 7 couldn't repair it. So I don't know whether it was a dodgey update or hardware related.

But this morning I had some errors on booting, claiming that the disk couldn't be accessed. This happened twice before it booted normally.

Well its safe to say I'm not impressed so far! I don't know whether to call it quits and get my money back or to stick it out for another few days...

I would say RMA it.

Are you up to date on the BIOS and MOBO drivers?

One thing that I think might have improved things for me (though I might have imagined it) was switching to the SATA2 ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That doesn't sound good. Does your motherboard need a BIOS update?

quarryman wrote: »
    I would say RMA it.

Are you up to date on the BIOS and MOBO drivers?

One thing that I think might have improved things for me (though I might have imagined it) was switching to the SATA2 ports.

The drive is in a Dell desktop, that only has SATA 2 connections so I don't think there's a problem there. The drive was updated to the latest firmware before doing anything. And the bios is up to date. I'll do some more testing this evening and see what happens. Stress of having to send it back!

I suppose Dell don't give you a whole lot of BIOS options but did you install with AHCI enabled?

Monotype wrote: »
    I suppose Dell don't give you a whole lot of BIOS options but did you install with AHCI enabled?

You're right Dell dont give you many options at all!

There is no AHCI mentioned in the BIOS,however after some googling it appears there's an option along the lines of "RAID Autodetect" which should mean AHCI is enabled. I'll only find out when I get home if this is enabled. I did play around with this option for some reason or another last night; I just can't remember what I changed it to!

Some Dells don't have an AHCI option but if you enable RAID (and don't create any arrays) then AHCI is enabled.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Some Dells don't have an AHCI option but if you enable RAID (and don't create any arrays) then AHCI is enabled.

It would appear this is correct.

Enabling RAID has solved the issue. No more reboots, no more blue screens. It's been good all day.

It looks like the drive is doing quite well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

It would appear this is correct.

Enabling RAID has solved the issue. No more reboots, no more blue screens. It's been good all day.

It looks like the drive is doing quite well!

:pac: Glad to see having a Dell didn't screw you over!

Leman wrote: »
    I did tell you. The OCZ drives are a pile of garbage.
    its not just OCZ, a lot of sandforce drives are very fussy. i have a sandforce based Corsair SSD as well as two OCZ Agility 3's and I had exactly the same issues with one of the SATA controllers on my motherboard and had to switch to using the other one to avoid having to zero write the drive and re-install windows every 3-5 days.

touch wood, i haven't had a single problem with the Agility 3's using the same controller that the corsair SSD was stable on, but i don't fancy switching to the other controller now with the OCZ drives to test the theory. :)

also, before anyone suggests any OCZ fanboyism, I can confidently day that they suck donkey balls. i've been trying for almost a month now to get my OCZ RAM working properly and so far their support have been everything from average to piss poor and i'm still getting nowhere with them. they are now trying to tell me that their top of the range 'platinum' series RAM isn't designed to be used with two pairs and because i'm using more than a single pair, i will have to underclock my system to get it to run stable. this is despite me not being able to even get get a single pair (either of them, or any individual sticks) to run stably at the RAM timings and voltages they are recommending for my motherboard.

if you have more than one SATA controller on your motherboard then give that a go and see if it makes a difference before RMA'ing a drive.

having said that, you do find plenty of ways of speeding up the process when you have to do it so often though. :)

also, worth mentioning for people trying to save space on their SSD boot partitions, you can use symbolic links to allow you to move your user profile or other big less used folders to another bigger (but obviously slower) drive to free up space.

it's easy (when logged in as another admin user) to create a new user profiles directory on another drive and then move your user profile folder to the new location and then create a symbolic link to it in it's original location. that way no apps (or even windows) knows the difference.

one of the biggest space hogs in windows 7 is the winxs folder which i've seen grow up to 20gb over time and can't be removed without creating bigger problems. create a symlink to another drive and move it there to free up space and you'll save yourself a lot of bother.

something to watch out for when doing this though is that regular hard drives will normally spin down after a period of inactivity and it will take them anything up to a couple of seconds to get up to speed again when you need to access them, so if you have your OS on an SSD and enable Sleep or Windows hibernation and then have some other essential files on a regular disk drive, your PC will have 'woken up' and be back at the desktop long before your other drive has had time to spin up and announce its presence to the OS and could screw up your profile, meaning you could end up having to reboot anyway to get it back again as windows will not see the drive, which will be a problem if your user profile is stored on it.

:pac: Glad to see having a Dell didn't screw you over!

Hahaha, that's pretty much exactly how I felt after realising the drive was actually alright!
    So far I have plenty of space available on the drive. Don't know the specifics at the mo, but I'll report back later.
    I must time it and see how quick the boot is. That being said me typing my password takes far too long!

Yup, especially if you have a decent OS, like a Lightweight Linux distro or XP, the longest part of boot can be the password. :D

Yup, especially if you have a decent OS, like a Lightweight Linux distro or XP, the longest part of boot can be the password. :D

pfffft "Decent OS"...Win 7 ultimate all the way!

The Bios on my machine is annoyingly slow at the minute, really annoying!

The Bios on my machine is annoyingly slow at the minute, really annoying!
    we have a bunch of top end servers at work with four 8 core xeon's each & 512gb of RAM and thanks to the POST on that much RAM, plus 2 fibre channel HBA's and 4 quad port NIC's each, they take about 25 minutes in total to boot. you could spend days just doing firmware updates. :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    we have a bunch of top end servers at work with four 8 core xeon's each & 512gb of RAM and thanks to the POST on that much RAM, plus 2 fibre channel HBA's and 4 quad port NIC's each, they take about 25 minutes in total to boot. you could spend days just doing firmware updates. :(
    But can it play Crysis? :pac:

But can it play Crysis? :pac:
    no, they're ESXi boxes and they unfortunately declined my offer of 'testing' them first before they went into production. :D

i did however get the job of putting a good chunk of the 8gb sticks of ram into them (64 stick in each box, 20 boxes in total) so i did still have very sore thumbs at the end of it, but not from gaming. :(

in other news, i just gave my Radeon 6870 a quick blast on the new DX11 update for Crysis 2 with the high-res texture pack and it actually runs pretty well at 1080p (a steady'ish 30-40fps) with everything maxxed out, which isn't too bad, all things considered. Just Cause 2 is very respectable now as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I upgraded to a Intel 80GB SSD last September and I still love how quick my ancient pc (built in Jan 08) runs. I may not be getting the best out of it using it with older components (08 vintage keyboard, ddr2 ram etc) but it still flies in comparison to my work pc which is a brand new Xeon powered beast with 16GB ram.
    Football Manager is now a dream to play :D

• Advertisement

its actually surprising the difference an SSD can make in just about any PC you can put one in.

Atom based netbooks are a prime example. they can be a little sluggish with regular HDD's, but with an SSD in it's place and 2gb of RAM they fly along, even running windows 7.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

would it be worth putting one in an asus eee pc netbook that is a few years old? or better t upgrade the laptop to a new one first of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

would it be worth putting one in an asus eee pc netbook that is a few years old? or better t upgrade the laptop to a new one first of all.
    not worth it i would say, ssds are fairly costly for any decent size one, i would just keep the cash and save up to get a new laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just an update on my situation.

Called overclockers who basically said to RMA both the SSD and all the RAM sticks.

So I took the old RAM out and put my old Corsair XM3 4GB into my machine.

Touchwood not a hitch since and had some fantastic performance. Gave them a call and they said that was great news and jsut to send the RAM back. Arranged for them to process a refund and I'm buying another 4GB of the Corsair stuff I already have, which I should have done in the first place.

I'm getting one or two small issues, yesterday my PC wouldnt boot up was hanging on detecting ide drives....turned off and back on and that seemed to just fix it.

But thankfully no crashes or bluescreens.

Overclockers have been great throughout in terms of troubleshooting advice and arranging returns and refunds. They are happy enough to take all the rAM back, refund me and priority mail the new RAM I got.

Great support from a great store, they have been my new go to guys for some time and this is why :)

It's a good idea to check what you are buying - OCZ had a bad track record in the this round for RAM and they stopped making it a while back. They were probably selling it off cheap because nobody would buy it at full price.

Hopefully your drive will stay ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lads whats the best way to format an SSD? ill be rebuilding my PC soon, and have an intel x25m gen2 80gb SSD, and will be reinstalling everything from scratch, but is there a better way than just an NTFS format in the windows7 instillation?

Just as a quick update with mine, I was getting nowhere with ocz support and had the feeling they just wanted me to go away. Eventually I mailed ocz uk and asked who I needed to contact to make a complaint and then ask of sudden I was their no.1 priority and they couldn't do enough for me.

They were all ready to RMA all the ram, but I was convinced I was just doing something wrong, so I did a video of the steps I was taking to edit my bios settings and sent it to them to watch and someone finally spotted that they had been telling me to change the wrong setting since the start.

Once I changed the settings to the right ones it started working properly and I haven't looked back since. :)

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    lads whats the best way to format an SSD? ill be rebuilding my PC soon, and have an intel x25m gen2 80gb SSD, and will be reinstalling everything from scratch, but is there a better way than just an NTFS format in the windows7 instillation?

If you're going to be using it again, it's just for windows and it's been formatted before, I think just delete all your old partitions and just install as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

vibe666 wrote: »
    Just as a quick update with mine, I was getting nowhere with ocz support and had the feeling they just wanted me to go away. Eventually I mailed ocz uk and asked who I needed to contact to make a complaint and then ask of sudden I was their no.1 priority and they couldn't do enough for me.

They were all ready to RMA all the ram, but I was convinced I was just doing something wrong, so I did a video of the steps I was taking to edit my bios settings and sent it to them to watch and someone finally spotted that they had been telling me to change the wrong setting since the start.

Once I changed the settings to the right ones it started working properly and I haven't looked back since. :)

So what was the problematic setting?

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    SSD's can be funny creatures when it comes to reformatting.

theoretically speaking, you should just be able to delete the partition and start again, but most forums dedicated to these things will recommend a 'zero write' before re-using them again.

this basically involves a boot CD or USB disk with one of any number of partitioning tools on it which have a zero write option, which does exactly what it sounds like and writes zeroes across every single bit of the drive, ignoring any partitions or data that might already be on it, so it is nice and pristine for your new OS install.

technically speaking you might not have to do this before every OS re-install, but there is obviously a good reason why just about every SSD mfg's web forums have detailed guides on how to do it.

Advertisement