Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S2 Battery Life...

Options
  • 17-06-2011 10:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

I've been using it for about two weeks now and while its easily the best phone I've ever had the battery life is a major issue. It seems if you use the phone for anything other than answering the odd call/texting the battery life is appaling. I thought after two weeks it would get better but nope, I'm using an app killer and always kill the apps after I'm finished using them. I have all the screen settings set to "auto" or medium.

As it stands I can just about get 12 hours out of the phone, If I use the internet on a bit thats seriously reduced. Also the battery seems to charge to 50% quite fast but anything after that takes an absolute age, I seem to be going around with a half charged battery most of the time unless I charge it overnight as it takes an age.

Just wondering what other owners experiences are of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't have a Galaxy S2, but I'm currently in the market for a smart phone, and having read a few forums/reviews it seems to be the big (and usually only) complaint. A lot of people saying what you have, that with moderate use of e-mail, browsing, apps the battery struggles to make it to the end of the day. I've seen people recommend keeping the brightness on the screen as low as you can.

I was thinking of getting the S2, but I'm thinking twice myself now.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 self_sentered

FearDark wrote: »
    I've been using it for about two weeks now and while its easily the best phone I've ever had the battery life is a major issue.

Did you get the update from Samsung which supposedly improves battery life?
    Not sure if its available here over-the-air yet.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2011/05/25/galaxy-s-ii-ke7-update-brings-better-battery-life-fixes-pink-s/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've been using it for about two weeks now and while its easily the best phone I've ever had the battery life is a major issue. It seems if you use the phone for anything other than answering the odd call/texting the battery life is appaling. I thought after two weeks it would get better but nope, I'm using an app killer and always kill the apps after I'm finished using them. I have all the screen settings set to "auto" or medium.

As it stands I can just about get 12 hours out of the phone, If I use the internet on a bit thats seriously reduced. Also the battery seems to charge to 50% quite fast but anything after that takes an absolute age, I seem to be going around with a half charged battery most of the time unless I charge it overnight as it takes an age.

Just wondering what other owners experiences are of this?

First thing, Stop using task manager to kill apps, Android does a great job managing it itself, you're just messing that up.
    http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

You need to learn how to manage the battery on your phone better, the large screen is the biggest killer, keep brightness on the lowest level you can bear, disable wifi, gps, bluetooth when you're not using them (get a widget so you can quickly change), avoid live wallpapers, avoid apps/widgets that continually update.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25319/complete-guide-to-maximizing-your-android-phones-battery-life/

Your battery may not be showing the correct stats, its a regular complaint that the battery stats need calibrating.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051%20

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

I'd had the S2 for about 10 days and am getting from 07:00 till about 22:00 including syncing seven gmail accounts, twitter, use of bbc news app, general browsing, few games, kindle app, etc.

Always charge overnight.

If you're going to sit an watch video for a couple of hours, would expect to need charger handy.

Had a Nexus One before the S2, and the battery life of the S2 is the same or a little better, which is not bad considering the jump in power and screen size.

I even like TouchWiz on the S2... though miss the sleep transition of 2.3.4 on Nexus One.. like an old analogue TV turning off...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

GPS is the heaviest user of batter capacity so make sure it is off unless being used.

WiFi would be next, so make sure that is off unless being used.

Next probably would be 3G. If you use 3G data a lot leave it on Automatic for network mode but if you use data infrequently, you will get much better battery life by manually selecting 2G(gsm).

As with WiFi, turn Bluetooth off if not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    First thing, Stop using task manager to kill apps, Android does a great job managing it itself, you're just messing that up.
    http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

You need to learn how to manage the battery on your phone better, the large screen is the biggest killer, keep brightness on the lowest level you can bear, disable wifi, gps, bluetooth when you're not using them (get a widget so you can quickly change), avoid live wallpapers, avoid apps/widgets that continually update.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25319/complete-guide-to-maximizing-your-android-phones-battery-life/

Your battery may not be showing the correct stats, its a regular complaint that the battery stats need calibrating.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=871051%20

I'm using the Samsung task killer supplied on the phone, I only kill "apps" not processes. Apps like facebook, music, internet etc when I'm not using them.

Obviously I dont have GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI running when I'm not using them, in fact they have never even been turned on on the phone as I never use them.

Dont have any live wallpapers, and have all my apps/widgets set to "ask first".

The screen is a major issue on the phone, I have the brightness set to medium as the low setting is very very low and the minute I go outside I cant see shít. The "automatic" setting for the screen isnt great either as its always one setting below where it should be in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm using the Samsung task killer supplied on the phone, I only kill "apps" not processes. Apps like facebook, music, internet etc when I'm not using them.

Don't, there is no need, you're only messing it up
    Obviously I dont have GPS, Bluetooth, WIFI running when I'm not using them, in fact they have never even been turned on on the phone as I never use them.

Dont have any live wallpapers, and have all my apps/widgets set to "ask first".

The screen is a major issue on the phone, I have the brightness set to medium as the low setting is very very low and the minute I go outside I cant see shít. The "automatic" setting for the screen isnt great either as its always one setting below where it should be in my opinion.

Get a power control widget that you can quickly change brightness to the brightest setting when needed, I can survive with my Galaxy S screen on the lowest brightness (auto off) and only brightening with the widget when outdoors.

I had the same problem when I first got the Galaxy S, it died every few hours. Updates will improve it, be sure to get the latest. I can now get 2-3 days (with a custom rom). I still charge it nightly even if its not fully drained.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I got my Galaxy S2 a few days ago. Had a Desire before that. Towards the end, my battery life on that phone had plummeted, especially because I was using the phone for 1-2 hours of calls every day.

When choosing the S2 as my new phone, I was influenced by reviews that raved about it's battery life. Granted my phone has only been charged about three times so far, but I'd say at the moment the battery life isn't spectacular.

I have a widget on my homescreen for controlling the settings (Wi-Fi, GPS, Brightness, etc). It also has a link to the battery usage.

At the moment, my phone has been unplugged from the charger for 7 hours and 49 minutes, and is showing 58% battery. The display has used 35% of the power consumed (actually on for 1h 27 minutes at the lowest brightness), Android OS 18%, Android System 15%, Voice Calls 7% (conveniently enough for 7 minutes worth of calls!). The rest is made up of a few percent each for smaller apps.

I've switched to a pure black screen saver now in an attempt to save battery.

P.S. Touch Wiz lasted about 20 min on my phone. I found it absolutely terrible (having come from HTC Sense). I replaced it with the free LauncherPro app from the Market. Infinitely better!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

love to get a smart phone but for me battery life is essential. will have to wait until they make on that will stay charged for 2-3 days, not worth the hassle of constantly charging it

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

love to get a smart phone but for me battery life is essential. will have to wait until they make on that will stay charged for 2-3 days, not worth the hassle of constantly charging it

You might be waiting some time then. Most modern smartphones are power hungry & need to be charged at least every 2 days & every day is you're a busy person.
    You can save power by switching on GPS,WiFi etc only when you need them.After all you're unlikely to get lost in your own neighborhood :)
    Some users leave everything running & wonder where the battery charge has gone.There's a price to be paid for all those nice fancy apps,battery power:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

The new FinFET technology, with lithography on the scale of 22nm is around the corner. Should do wonders for power consumption but you'll be waiting at least a year till phones start using it.

Advertisement