Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought in heifer not in calf... Where do i stand?

• 17-06-2011 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Got a heifer scanned today that i bought in that was supposed to be scanned in calf but she isnt. Not seen her cycling last six months either but she seems okay inside to scanner man.

Looking for advice on where i stand legally, advice so far is vendor should take back animal and return original money, plus travel expenses incurred and feed costs of 3 euro per day.

Does this really happen? Any recent cases? Id prefer to sort it out as gentlemen but happily go legal route if necessary.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

its a tough one because you have the animal so long any number of things could have happened with her since you bought her, contact last owner and see will he come good for a few bob he most probabley wont take her back and if you dont want her you sell her and see will he come up with the balance or close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Bodacious wrote: »
    feed costs of 3 euro per day

How was this figure arrived at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

How was this figure arrived at?

a row over weanling heifers that proved to be in calf! return to vendor and 3 euro a day B & B was the settlement

palo wrote: »
    its a tough one because you have the animal so long any number of things could have happened with her since you bought her, contact last owner and see will he come good for a few bob he most probabley wont take her back and if you dont want her you sell her and see will he come up with the balance or close to it.

I'll contact him tomorrow but always doubted her, what can you do only take his word for it though! my cows were scanned and although i should have i'd hatte to call out scanner for one animal!:mad: More worrying too is the fact she not showing any signs of heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

at 3 euro a day for six months that comes to 540 euro 1 year = 1080 what the hell are you smoking :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

charityboy wrote: »
    at 3 euro a day for six months that comes to 540 euro 1 year = 1080 what the hell are you smoking :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Must be one a de Teagasc boyo's from derrypatrick :D:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

get the vet to handle her, ask him was she ever in calf and will she go in calf.... do you still want to breed from her? ring the previous owner and let them know the story , until you get the vet to handle her you are in limbo as to whether she is a write off or not ... i know you said she was handled by the scanning man but the vet is the man in this case... wouldn't start on about the €3 a day as i am assuming he sold her to you in good faith, also the fact it is 6 months down the line you should have had her handled before now

charityboy wrote: »

I never expected the 3 euro a day to be honest thought it was a bit steep alright but it was paid in this case close to me but shorter space of time!

But when you think about it with the way cattle are going at the minute what is E500 for a good PBNR bull or heifer weanling had she been in calf as sold

whelan1 wrote: »
    get the vet to handle her, ask him was she ever in calf and will she go in calf.... do you still want to breed from her? ring the previous owner and let them know the story , until you get the vet to handle her you are in limbo as to whether she is a write off or not ... i know you said she was handled by the scanning man but the vet is the man in this case... wouldn't start on about the €3 a day as i am assuming he sold her to you in good faith, also the fact it is 6 months down the line you should have had her handled before now

Thanks Whelan,

Thats a good call ive TB test coming up this week and ill ask vet to check her out also. We've horses also and lady can tell us from scanning when she'll be next in season, egg on the way up etc... kinda expected the same with this scenario.

Apart from that i drenched her with cobalt and a multivitamin tonic and put with a deadly keen yearling bullock so ill feed the pair of them for 3 weeks and watch her tight:D:D If i fail to get her in calf cant i kill her off grass in Sept/Oct and cut my losses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

whelan1 wrote: »
    I sold a whitehead suckler cow in the mart years ago after scanning her in calf and declared her in calf in the ring. She was due the start of april and it was declared. I thought no more about it till i got a call in july from the dealer that bought her looking for compensation.

I contacted my consultant at the time and told him my story. Basically, the cow was in his hands so long and it was so long after the calving date declared that i was told to ask him for a vets cert to state the cow hadnt calved. I was ****ed out of it over the phone by him but heard no more from him.

I found out after that this guy buys cows declared in calf and if the calf dies he waits and looks for compo. Most will pay for a quiet life so he has a nice little earner.

In your case, could she have slipped the calf at any stage without you noticing? As whelan1 says, get the vet to scan her. If she couldnt go in calf or was never in calf ( i dont know if the vet can confirm that) you may have a case but i would imagine the onus of proof is on you to prove she wasnt in calf when you bought her.

By the way, i'm not accusing you of doing what that bugger did to me but the burden of proving it seems to be with the purchaser

• Advertisement
Advertisement