Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you change your birth cert?

• 17-06-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Can you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

not now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Nope. You can change your name by deed poll though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Moved to legal forum (their charter now applies).

Hope this is appropriate Legal Mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If I remember correctly, there was a case (to do with changing gender on the birth cert) and the court ruled that the birth cert cant be changed as it is essentially a snapshot of the time you were born and therefore would make no sense to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Even if you could, there would be so many associated links to your old name, it would not be worth it. Take your PPS number for instance. You can't really change your identity these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

NoQuarter wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, there was a case (to do with changing gender on the birth cert) and the court ruled that the birth cert cant be changed as it is essentially a snapshot of the time you were born and therefore would make no sense to change it.

I think that was the case of Caroline Cossey the transgender model who took her case to the European Court of Human Rights seeking to have her Birth Cert gender changed - IIRC she lost her appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Wat if you want to change your actual DOB?

sonnky wrote: »

What are the circumstances? For a general question like that it would seem impossible on the face of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Did they get it wrong?

I'd imagine if recorded wrong for some reason there would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    What are the circumstances? For a general question like that it would seem impossible on the face of it!

So I can be underage for u14 football next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Delancey wrote: »
    I think that was the case of Caroline Cossey the transgender model who took her case to the European Court of Human Rights seeking to have her Birth Cert gender changed - IIRC she lost her appeal.

Dr. Lydia Foy however won her case to have her correct gender recognized.

She won her case in the High Court, the Government appealed it and then dropped it.

OP if its a case of you want it changed for Gender related issues then the LGBT forum may be of use. However I expect its something to do with parenthood so perhaps the Parenting / Adoption forums may also be of use if a specific question cannot be answered here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I think the answer to that is definitely not.

I also think this does belong in AH with the information that has come to light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I have the letter 'R' where there should be an 'L' (2nd name) on my Birth Cert copy and it really annoys me cos my poor mother wanted the 'different' name for me :mad:

I just comply with the L now for passport etc.

Yeah, should be no hassle, just pop down to the garda station and explain to them, they have a form you fill in and send off and it should take about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

but but but .... wont it look wierd when a 25yr old plays for an U-14 team ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

You can't get your birthcert changed so we were told by the issueing office.
    We asked why was there no fada on our sons name as we had asked. The lady said we could get an amended copy but ht e original never leaves the office and wouldn't be changed.
    Working back it was down to the nurse on duty that night he was born. At the nurses station she filled in the appropiate paperwork and got it a wee bit wrong.:(

PCPhoto wrote: »
    but but but .... wont it look wierd when a 25yr old plays for an U-14 team ???

I'm a tiny fourteen year old overage by two months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Then you're overage. Get over it.

You can't change your birth date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

You might want to reflect on the deeply dishonest nature of your aspirations and how they run contrary to the values of most sports.

Advertisement