Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing new shower tray - tray or tiles first?

• 18-06-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    About to start re-doing a bathroom, having it done professionally but just want to know....

There is a new shower tray and the bathroom is being re-tiled. Question is, do the new tiles go on first, and then the shower tray in, or the other way round?

Just want to know so i'm not waiting around on any bits.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Showet tray first unless it specifically says with the instructions the opposite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

Tray first and chisel the wall for the tray,most of them have sloped edges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    About to start re-doing a bathroom, having it done professionally but just want to know....

There is a new shower tray and the bathroom is being re-tiled. Question is, do the new tiles go on first, and then the shower tray in, or the other way round?

Just want to know so i'm not waiting around on any bits.

Cheers

Tray 1st,then tile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers folks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

As with all the above, tray then tile

Although, my tiler did suggest tile first and tray later. Wasn't long putting him right....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Although, my tiler did suggest tile first and tray later. Wasn't long putting him right....

Pulled over to 1 side and a quick chat eh?:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If your fitting one of the 40 mm low level trays make sure that a bucket of bondex is tipped under the middle of the tray,then bed the tray down.This will stop the tray flexing and breaking the seal around the edge.

Tray first and chisel the wall for the tray,most of them have sloped edges.

Thats called an upstand and yes you notch out the wall. Just dont sink the tray to far in or the door wont fit later. The tray upstand should run at the same level as the wall.
    mp22 wrote: »
    If your fitting one of the 40 mm low level trays make sure that a bucket of bondex is tipped under the middle of the tray,then bed the tray down.This will stop the tray flexing and breaking the seal around the edge.

I know plumbers that do this all the time. ie they bed there trays on a bag of flexi tile adhesive. Works quite well but imo sand and cement with a bit of pva is just as good and works out cheaper.

Thanks for all the tips folks.

Just one more question rather than starting a new thread....

Looking at a good offer online, but it comes with a slimline shower tray. As far as I know, the current shower tray is a normal one, meaning that the plumbing is over the floor.

Now, the flooring in the bathroom is timber so cutting out wouldn't be a big deal. But my question is... is this commonly done, or is it a big no no and not worth the hassle? (I can't get a standard shower tray with the offer, only a slimline one)

Thanks for all the tips folks.

Just one more question rather than starting a new thread....

Looking at a good offer online, but it comes with a slimline shower tray. As far as I know, the current shower tray is a normal one, meaning that the plumbing is over the floor.

Now, the flooring in the bathroom is timber so cutting out wouldn't be a big deal. But my question is... is this commonly done, or is it a big no no and not worth the hassle? (I can't get a standard shower tray with the offer, only a slimline one)

The slimline ones are usually more expensive however what a plumber may do in your case is mount the slimline one on a frame to raise it up. This does away with the slimline effect and usually means a mosaic sheet will have to be used but outside that it will be fine.

• Advertisement

The slimline ones are usually more expensive however what a plumber may do in your case is mount the slimline one on a frame to raise it up. This does away with the slimline effect and usually means a mosaic sheet will have to be used but outside that it will be fine.

Thanks for the info. I thought alright that raising a slimline one would be an option, however I would like to use the slimline if possible. What i'm wondering is (before I do go ahead and buy a suite with a slimline) is if it's normal/possible to cut out a piece of the ground (it's timber flooring) to turn what used to be a normal high-rise (if thats the right word) tray into a slimline tray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks for the info. I thought alright that raising a slimline one would be an option, however I would like to use the slimline if possible. What i'm wondering is (before I do go ahead and buy a suite with a slimline) is if it's normal/possible to cut out a piece of the ground (it's timber flooring) to turn what used to be a normal high-rise (if thats the right word) tray into a slimline tray

Its possible once the waste pipe has a way out with a fall on it. Its no big deal to build a plinth to put the low profile tray, still looks well. You can use the normal wall tiles just cut them in shorter strips to go around the plinth if its a curved tray. I can post a pic or two if you want to see what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Theres strips of fibreglass type material that you can use on raised trays or unlevel floors (gaps) ,they're basically glued on and look like part of the tray design.
    Got them in baldoyle in celluplast for around a fiver and used a couple of bricks with towel around them to keep the stuff in place while it set.

Folks, thanks so much for the info, very much appreciated. As a DIY forum n00b I was expecting AH responses :eek:

Will take all of this on-board, it's great to have a little knowledge so I understand that the 'professionals' are at :pac:

Thanks again :)

Advertisement