Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Lock Inn?

Options
  • 18-06-2011 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Notice that one or two mods have forums not listed on the menu bar. Out of curiousity what is the Lock Inn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's a Private Forum, apply for access by PM'ing any of the mods, they are The Master ; OutlawPete ; Abi ; ibarelycare

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Please note that some private forums are accessed by invite only while others are accessed by a PM to the mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Please note that some private forums are accessed by invite only while others are accessed by a PM to the mod.

Could have swore I posted a reply earlier but my screen is playing up so maybe not. How would I know which forum is invite and which is mod pm request? And how do I know what the forums are about? No point requesting access when I won't use it after the first visit.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Help Desk replies are pre-moderated.

Spear wrote: »
    Help Desk replies are pre-moderated.

Ahh that explains it, my screen is banjoed so only have 3 in screen:(. I hope there was nothing wrong with my original reply?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Ahh that explains it, my screen is banjoed so only have 3 in screen:(. I hope there was nothing wrong with my original reply?

Not so much a case of a problem with it, just that no-one spotted it until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If I may reply to the question asked about private forums-

Generally if private forums are looking for members to join/ask mods for access they'll mention it in places. Such as R&R access thread, or Czech Spelling thread.
    In cases where it's invite only you won't see much around about that forum other than seeing it under the Mods' list of forums they moderate.

Either way, there's never any harm (I don't think) in pm'ing a mod of a forum you're curious about and asking politely what the forums about and they may respond telling you and then asking if you're interested and you could respond accordingly then. Or they may respond and say that it's currently an invite only forum and that should you ever receive an invite the forum type will be outlined to you on that occasion.

Regarding The Lock Inn -- I've never been in it (not that I'd talk about it if I had been, because a lot of private forums like to keep stuff within the forum) -- but I have seen the sigs which to me would suggest they want to generate interest. As to whether they want to generate enquiries is another thing.
    Best bet is to pm one of the mods and ask.

star-pants wrote: »
    If I may reply to the question asked about private forums-

Generally if private forums are looking for members to join/ask mods for access they'll mention it in places. Such as R&R access thread, or Czech Spelling thread.
    In cases where it's invite only you won't see much around about that forum other than seeing it under the Mods' list of forums they moderate.

Either way, there's never any harm (I don't think) in pm'ing a mod of a forum you're curious about and asking politely what the forums about and they may respond telling you and then asking if you're interested and you could respond accordingly then. Or they may respond and say that it's currently an invite only forum and that should you ever receive an invite the forum type will be outlined to you on that occasion.

Regarding The Lock Inn -- I've never been in it (not that I'd talk about it if I had been, because a lot of private forums like to keep stuff within the forum) -- but I have seen the sigs which to me would suggest they want to generate interest. As to whether they want to generate enquiries is another thing.
    Best bet is to pm one of the mods and ask.

Thanks, great reply, I will PM the mod for the forum next time I see them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Notice that one or two mods have forums not listed on the menu bar. Out of curiousity what is the Lock Inn?

Hi Corsendonk ..

Once upon a time there were some After Hours regulars who, when midnight came, would start chit-chatting on After Hours threads and drive the moderators there demented, so they decided to create a social group called: TAHOTAS (The After Hours Off Topic Appreciation Society). In the early days of it's existence, one of it's main goals was to convince the AH moderators that an Off-topic thread would be a good thing for the forum. They were not successful and and in hindsight, realise that it was of course, not such a great idea to begin with. In the meantime TAHOTAS started to flourish and as more and more members joined to avail of the off-topic friendly banter and somewhat risqué shenanigans (not too risqué mind, as Boards rules still apply) it was felt that a fully featured bells and whistles forum of it's own was what was needed to satisfy the desires and wishes of our growing contingent and so a request was put in to Admin for a private forum here. After a heart in the mouth moment were our request was initially turned down, God smiled on us, an Ace was produced from an esteemed member's sleeve and low and behold: The Lock Inn was born.

We do regularly invite members but are more than happy to receive access requests from Boardsies, which is why many of our members sport a forum banner as their Sig (as Star-Pants correctly pointed out). So, if you would like to put in an access request to the forum, then please PM one of the HMods (Abi, ibarelycare, The Master or OutlawPete) and one of us will let you know within a short period of time if your request for access has been approved :)

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Hi Corsendonk ..

Once upon a time there were some After Hours regulars who, when midnight came, would start chit-chatting on After Hours threads and drive the moderators there demented, so they decided to create a social group called: TAHOTAS (The After Hours Off Topic Appreciation Society). In the early days of it's existence, one of it's main goals was to convince the AH moderators that an Off-topic thread would be a good thing for the forum. They were not successful and and in hindsight, realise that it was of course, not such a great idea to begin with. In the meantime TAHOTAS started to flourish and as more and more members joined to avail of the off-topic friendly banter and somewhat risqué shenanigans (not too risqué mind, as Boards rules still apply) it was felt that a fully featured bells and whistles forum of it's own was what was needed to satisfy the desires and wishes of our growing contingent and so a request was put in to Admin for a private forum here. After a heart in the mouth moment were our request was initially turned down, God smiled on us, an Ace was produced from an esteemed member's sleeve and low and behold: The Lock Inn was born.

We do regularly invite members but are more than happy to receive access requests from Boardsies, which is why many of our members sport a forum banner as their Sig (as Star-Pants correctly pointed out). So, if you would like to put in an access request to the forum, then please PM one of the HMods (Abi, ibarelycare, The Master or OutlawPete) and one of us will let you know within a short period of time if your request for access has been approved :)

Thanks Pete, I think we can close this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement