Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

skyinstallations.ie

• 18-06-2011 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi i have a complaint about sky tv in donegal i have just join this form today to ask dose any1 know about this website for freesat tv in donegal they are called skyinstallations.ie i got them to put freesat in for me and sky hd for my dad what it is they took my dads old sky box with them and i ask for freesat all i got was a section hand sky box i was not at home when they were doing the job in the 2 houses i cant get in contact only get the voice mail he will not take my call dad said he said sky has to have this old box back again but we have it now 2 years so can this be right? also freesat is not a sky box like it should be a foxsat or something is it and they just put my dish at window height and drill it through the wall never went into the attic has any1 used them as they cover all of donegal and ireland even? what should i do will i ring sky but i cant see sky doing anything for the freesat any help guys would be good thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

joewhite34 wrote: »
    hi i have a complaint about sky tv in donegal i have just join this form today to ask dose any1 know about this website for freesat tv in donegal they are called skyinstallations.ie i got them to put freesat in for me and sky hd for my dad what it is they took my dads old sky box with them and i ask for freesat all i got was a section hand sky box i was not at home when they were doing the job in the 2 houses i cant get in contact only get the voice mail he will not take my call dad said he said sky has to have this old box back again but we have it now 2 years so can this be right? also freesat is not a sky box like it should be a foxsat or something is it and they just put my dish at window height and drill it through the wall never went into the attic has any1 used them as they cover all of donegal and ireland even? what should i do will i ring sky but i cant see sky doing anything for the freesat any help guys would be good thanks

Hi Joe.

This being June and exam time, unfortunately your post reads like a punctuation question from one of my old english exam papers.

A few full stops, capital letters etc. will make it easier for someone to read and maybe post a helpful reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Rippy

Your dad's sky box was stolen. It was his property and they told lies to obtain it by deception.
    The box you were supplied with was not as advertised or fit for purpose.
    It is also likely to be stolen goods, ( possibly even belonging to your dad).
    If they are not willing to engage with you , make a complaint to the Gardai.
    It is because of cowboys and gangsters like this that we have set up the Irish Satellite and Aerial Assocation.

Members are trained
    Fully insured
    Garda vetted
    Work to professional standards
    Any such activity by a member would lead to immediate expulsion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Installer in Donegal and have never heard of them, but basically you were ripped off there, the sky box is your property and they had no right to take it, basically they take them and use them for repairs and for freesat installs.
    I also would not be happy getting a sky box for a freesat install, A sky box is not suitable for this as the epg still shows all the subscription channels that you cannot recieve.

Now you need to get back on to them and demand that they refund you for your freesat and get it done properly elsewhere, and you should also demand the return of the sky box. Also never get anything done in your house when you are not there to supervise.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭localchap

An old sky box is not worth a penny as a freesat product. Due to quite specific OSD its not really suitable for it. I didn't get it,did they install you any other freesat box instead of that skybox???I'm installer myself, had a dozen those old skyboxes both analogue and digital in my shed and can assure you its absolutely beyond any economical reason to use them for parts.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

On their website they are selling Freesat installed for €150 now that would tell me to stay well clear of them that they are not using Freesat branded equipment. Ring sky give them your dads account number then ask sky to tell you who were the ASA
    {Associated Sales Agent} company who upgraded your dad's sky. Then ring this ASA company give them all the details and tell them that this crowd who subs of them took your dads sky box and if the installer don't bring it back then you will contact the guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joewhite34

Hi guys thanks for all the info i will do that give sky a ring see what they will do, I do rember the day i was chatting to him he said he was the owner and one off his workers will be doing it so i dont think he subs out so if it is him i cant see me getting it sorted out with him you get what you PAY FOR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

as Scaller points out they are advertising a Humax HD 'Freesat' install for €150,

complete crap, well to good to be true

box at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00264GX40/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BLR9P6&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1E1F1NQ4X65FFFK4SJNB

add their new galvanized 'sky dish' to their nationwide installation service

and they become a charitable organisation,

www.ISAA.TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Rippy wrote: »
    Members are trained
    Fully insured
    Garda vetted
    Work to professional standards
    Any such activity by a member would lead to immediate expulsion.
    What sort of Garda vetting is obtained?

cast_iron wrote: »
    What sort of Garda vetting is obtained?

Garda vetting is possibly the wrong term.
    What I meant is that a Criminal Records check is carried out before membership is granted.

Garda vetting is possibly the wrong term.
    What I meant is that a Criminal Records check is carried out before membership is granted.
    I see. So it's not really "Garda Clearance"??

So, for example, if one was convicted of speeding, in court, would that stop them becoming a member? Where is the line drawn?

• Advertisement

So, for example, if one was convicted of speeding, in court, would that stop them becoming a member? Where is the line drawn?

Actually the correct term is Garda Clearance.
    A prospective member signs a consent form which is then sent to the Garda Clearance Unit in Thurles.
    If there are no criminal convictions the form is then returned to the prospective member stating this. He then forwards the form to ISAA to complete membership.
    As I'm sure you know, a speeding conviction is not a criminal offence .

Actually the correct term is Garda Clearance.
    A prospective member signs a consent form which is then sent to the Garda Clearance Unit in Thurles.
    If there are no criminal convictions the form is then returned to the prospective member stating this. He then forwards the form to ISAA to complete membership.
    Thanks for that. I'm not familiar with the process.
    As I'm sure you know, a speeding conviction is not a criminal offence .
    No actually. I'd have assumed a court conviction would be recorded against someone, and that would be passed back on the clearance form.
    Would a conviction for dumping be criminal?

I suppose what I'm asking is at what type of conviction will the ISAA consider it serious enough not to approve someone to install satellite dishes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Thanks for that. I'm not familiar with the process.

No actually. I'd have assumed a court conviction would be recorded against someone, and that would be passed back on the clearance form.
    Would a conviction for dumping be criminal?

I suppose what I'm asking is at what type of conviction will the ISAA consider it serious enough not to approve someone to install satellite dishes??
    There are different levels of criminal conviction (a speeding conviction is a criminal conviction, just not an important one). The Gardai don't look back over the minor ones, just the biggies when they are filling out the clearance form. It's not the ISAA who make that decision. I'm sure a google search will locate the classifications of convictions applicable in Ireland.

Edit:
    Actually, looking at the Garda website, they don't make any distinction, and pass on everything, even unsuccessful prosecutions (i.e. those you were innocent off :-0 )

Johnmb wrote: »
    Edit:
    Actually, looking at the Garda website, they don't make any distinction, and pass on everything, even unsuccessful prosecutions (i.e. those you were innocent off :-0 )
    That's what I would have thought (though I didn't realise unsuccessful prosecutions would be forwarded).

So if I'm reading this right right, the ISAA would have to decide how serious a conviction is, since the applicant obviously has to forward the result of the Garda clearance?
    At what level will they refuse?

That's what I would have thought (though I didn't realise unsuccessful prosecutions would be forwarded).

So if I'm reading this right right, the ISAA would have to decide how serious a conviction is, since the applicant obviously has to forward the result of the Garda clearance?
    The aim of the ISAA in obtaining Garda Clearance of prospective members is to protect the public.
    Installers are going into peoples homes and providing paid goods and services. Therefore the public need assuring that they can trust their chosen installer, and we need to be sure they will not bring the association into disrepute.
    Therefore membership would not be granted to individuals with convictions for theft and dishonesty, violence and or crimes of a sexual nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

We the ISAA send the garda form to the installer, who fills out all information, ie : any "Criminal Record" which is then sent to the Garda Vetting section in Tipperary, with a copy of ID : ie passport,Driving licence, birth cert. The results are then sent back to the installer, with the results, then forwarded on to us.

Throught garda vetting is only carried out for "Health care workers, and security workers" plus a few others. All the information which is sent back is "No criminal Recored, or Yes Criminal Record"

We the ISAA do not see any thing else.

I have spoken to the Garda about this, and been advised this is the best way to go.
    But we are reviewing our system all the time.

Rippy wrote:
    The aim of the ISAA in obtaining Garda Clearance of prospective members is to protect the public.
    Installers are going into peoples homes and providing paid goods and services. Therefore the public need assuring that they can trust their chosen installer, and we need to be sure they will not bring the association into disrepute.
    Therefore membership would not be granted to individuals with convictions for theft and dishonesty, violence and or crimes of a sexual nature.
    I agree and it makes perfect sense. I'm more curious as to the how the whole process works from the ISAA point of view.

ISAA wrote: »
    We the ISAA send the garda form to the installer, who fills out all information, ie : any "Criminal Record" which is then sent to the Garda Vetting section in Tipperary, with a copy of ID : ie passport,Driving licence, birth cert. The results are then sent back to the installer, with the results, then forwarded on to us.

Throught garda vetting is only carried out for "Health care workers, and security workers" plus a few others. All the information which is sent back is "No criminal Recored, or Yes Criminal Record"

We the ISAA do not see any thing else.

I have spoken to the Garda about this, and been advised this is the best way to go.
    But we are reviewing our system all the time.
    Thanks for that.

So would the conviction for speeding/dumping (I only use these as examples as they shouldn't really have any relevance to whether one can install a satellite dish) count as a yes form the vetting office?

If so, where does the applicant go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

speeding, dumping is not criminal, as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Garda vetting is a great idea imo, from my own expierence of working with a large installation contractor you don't know who your taking on.
    I had a guy training with me who had spent quite a bit of time in prison for a serious crime which we didn't find out about until we went to a customers house for an install and were denied entry by the owner who was a prison officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

ISAA wrote: »
    speeding, dumping is not criminal, as far as I know.
    They are criminal offenses, but they are just summary offenses, not indictable ones.

• Advertisement

cork45 wrote: »
    Garda vetting is a great idea imo, from my own expierence of working with a large installation contractor you don't know who your taking on.
    I had a guy training with me who had spent quite a bit of time in prison for a serious crime which we didn't find out about until we went to a customers house for an install and were denied entry by the owner who was a prison officer.
    I fully agree it's a good idea.
    But there seems to be a level of confusion as to what it entails in this case.
    And I'm still not much wiser.

Advertisement