Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo help needed

Options
  • 18-06-2011 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

looking to get a tattoo on the inside of my upper right arm

what i have in mind is script writing saying something that means something to me and i was thinkin of havin it done in latin maybe

i've spent months thinking and looking and cant find any nice meaningful quotes to get translated and tattoo'd there

was thinkin sometthing about life

just wondering have ye any ideas thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

jimmy11 wrote: »
    looking to get a tattoo on the inside of my upper right arm

what i have in mind is script writing saying something that means something to me and i was thinkin of havin it done in latin maybe

i've spent months thinking and looking and cant find any nice meaningful quotes to get translated and tattoo'd there

was thinkin sometthing about life

just wondering have ye any ideas thanks:)
    How about

"this tattoo means alot to me even though I had to ask someone else what to get?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How about

"this tattoo means alot to me even though I had to ask someone else what to get?"

Harsh. Harsh but fair.

To elaborate though, it's completely up to you OP. Whatever you ultimately decide to go for you have to live with so make sure you're in the right frame of mind and don't seek other peoples' approval for a very personal thing.

Whatever you decide to do/get best of luck.

May also be handy to actually go in to a parlour and have a chat with the artist. They could point you in the right direction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

Well "Carpe Diem" translates as "Save the day". Not terribly unique for a tatto but so what. Alternatively you could do your date of birth in Roman numerials. Once again not terribly unique and once again so what!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy11

@raze them all: no need be getting smart was looking for advice on where to find good quotes and maybe someone had known 1 or 2 good ones. dont bother replyin if your going be such a clown.

@ celtenal :I'd be looking for a longer one as in 6 - 8 words but something along those lines

@chin: yea i have spoken to artists and we've decided on this kind of tat just deciding on what to write is the next step:)

cheers for replys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's really up to you at the end of the day. There's thousands of quotes out there but don't just get one for the sake of it. Get something you can relate to or that means something to you. If you can't think of anything then park the idea for a while. Don't rush into it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Personally I hate tattoo's so this would be the quote for me:

de gustibus non est disputandum which means:

In matters of taste, there is no argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Also another thing is that if you're getting a quote in another language make absolutely sure it's accurate and is the quote you want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

celtenal wrote: »
    Well "Carpe Diem" translates as "Save the day". Not terribly unique for a tatto but so what. Alternatively you could do your date of birth in Roman numerials. Once again not terribly unique and once again so what!
    thought it meant seize the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

A tattoo is a very personal thing and you specifically want something that means something to you, how is anyone else meant to be able to source that for you? It seems to me as though you really want a tattoo and got tired of the waiting game, but if you charge in now with a sentence you like now, down the line you could detest it and wish you never had it done. I don't regret mine and didn't put a lot of planning into them, but they are entirely unique and mean a lot to me. I also get to explain the meanings to people!

Also scripting on the upper arm isn't going to age well, so only get it if you want blurry dots when the elasticity fades and you lose or gain weight/muscle mass there. If your sentence is long the letters will have to be smaller and therefore more likely to be illegible.

@raze them all: no need be getting smart was looking for advice on where to find good quotes and maybe someone had known 1 or 2 good ones. dont bother replyin if your going be such a clown.

Calm down a wee bit! I think it was just a very sarcastic response to your request. You're looking for a personal quote yet you want someone else to give you one.
    seanybiker wrote: »

It does. ;)

If you're looking for inspiration OP try wikiquote or brainyquote. I'd like to get the whole of Macbeth tattooed on me but that's impossible. ^_^ (Some great quotes from that though). But really find something that you like and see if it's very relevant to your whole life and not just that brief moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

tbh Raze them all has actually given you the best advice, I know it's not what you want to hear now, but you'll appreciate it down the line if you find a tattoo you really love that is personal, and you'll be glad you didn't get a quote someone else suggested for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

celtenal wrote: »

If you are getting something tatooed in another language. I would get it translated at least 3 times in 3 different sources. There's no eraser on a tatoo needle

thanks for all the replies much appreciated.

I wont be rushing into anything and i'm not looking for anyone to decide on a quote for me just want suggestions...some people might have more experience or knowledge than me with poetry etc.

I'm fluent in irish and love the language so thats also a language i would consider.
    I want it placed inside my upper arm cause its easily hidden and it just appeals to me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Raze is right, even if it seems harsh.

Getting lettering tattooed on you is a very bold and direct statement that should convey something about you or how you see the world - because that is how other people will interpret it.

It is unlike imagery, where one can say "well I know I want japanese style, so what aspects of that style do you suggest?". You should be starting with something you feel strongly about, not deciding you want to seem like someone who feels strongly enough about X to get it tattooed on themselves, and then asking strangers what X might be. It will be a completely meaningless tattoo, and will probably be so vague and unconnected to you that it will seem that way to you and others in the long term.

I am all for meaningless tattoos if one is picking them because they like the way they look, but script is a statement. don't get it if you have nothing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mactastico

Hey, first time posting on this site, hope i'm doing it right...

What are you looking to get done? Is it poetry, something that means something to you, or are you lookin for people to provide you with quotes/lyrics/sayings they like?

I could probably throw out a few of my favourite lyrics to songs if you want, but the tone of them could be way off. Little bit more info from you and i'll see what i can think of?

I'm not lookin for people to decide for me just seein wat people have and maybe one or 2 might just suit me.

looking for something like a quote about life,success or something along those lines

I'm not lookin for people to decide for me just seein wat people have and maybe one or 2 might just suit me.

looking for something like a quote about life,success or something along those lines

Did you try the two sites I mentioned earlier?

Wikiquote (you can search by tag eg putting in 'success' brought this up http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Success)

and

Brainyquote - that site will give you a list of tags if you wanted to browse yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

you might find some inspiration here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28full%29

I found pretty much what i had intended to source in there. now my problem is finding the exact script i want!

gstar wrote: »
    you might find some inspiration here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases_%28full%29

I found pretty much what i had intended to source in there. now my problem is finding the exact script i want!

http://www.dafont.com/

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

chin_grin wrote: »

Thanks for that! :) that site is great !! helped me loads :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Mactastico

It depends on what size you're looking for i suppose, how much writing do you want?

My mate was looking at something very simple a while back; "All you need is love", all joined together, with the black outline of a heart at he end, it sounds tacky and crap, but it was a really nice tattoo. If it interests you i'll post a pic. Some of my favourite lyrics are probably a tad long for you, but if you like them then let me know, i'll try to think of some shorter ones...

"The truth I've told was silent sometimes,
    but whose soul does not hide any crimes?"

Another, longer one i always loved was:
    "If you can't forgive and forget, how's this;
    forget forgiving and just accept that that's it.
    You see that's how it's gotta be...
    Then you can fall in love, get on with your life, and be free..."

"How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood, and then just be, in a good mood?

"I came to this world with nothing,
    And I'll leave with nothing but love,
    everything else is just borrowed."

I'll leave it at that for now, i could probably rattle off more if you like the style...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

seanybiker wrote: »
    Yeah it does and I knew that. Thats the trouble when posting and drinking LOL. Glad you pointed out my mistake. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Seeing as you are looking for suggestions OP as part of a half sleeve on my left arm I have on my inner bicep

"What we do in life,
    echoes in eternity"

And on my right bicep I plan to get "I've got a pocket full of dreams..." in Spanish

VW 1 wrote: »
    Seeing as you are looking for suggestions OP as part of a half sleeve on my left arm I have on my inner bicep

"What we do in life,
    echoes in eternity"

And on my right bicep I plan to get "I've got a pocket full of dreams..." in Spanish

there deadly quotes thats exactly the kind i'd be lookin for..

also had this in mind: "I don't wish to be everything to everyone, but I would like to be something to someone"

Advertisement