Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet recommendations PLEASE!

Options
  • 18-06-2011 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

i'm looking for a fairly modern looking toilet for my newbuild. I've found it really difficult to get any information on how well any of the toilets actually work. I HATE modern toilets with the eco-cistern which you have to flush ten times. I know i could go down the pressure assisted route, but that seems expensive. Does anyone out there have a modern looking toilet that they are happy with?
    :confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 duncans

seriously, 61 views and no-one has a toilet they're happy with? maybe i should just get one of those squat toilet jobs... or take the old avocado one in the old house with me. Never had to flush twice with it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Steveirl2010

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have 3 modern toilets which i never have to flush twice. I cannot answer your question because the reason in my opinion you have a bath understanding of modern toilets is because they have been sold wrong to you.

For example. The "Modern" toilet in b&q for 60 euro has a high pressure inlet valve in it meaning it will takes ages to fill in a gravity house. This can be sorted by spending 20 euro on a new low pressure one before installiation meaning you still have only spent 80 euro on the toilet.

Sales people do not tell you this. Why? Because most of these toilets are going into dublin apartments which are pumped.

All modern toilets generally work well if fitted right. Granted they use less water but most of them are wras approved which is english standards. This standard does not only asses water use but also performance.

tbh i read the thread at the start but your feelings are the view of modern toilets that are setting in due to bad salesman ship. I was not in the moood at the time to write this long winded explination. Sorry.

As for what modern toilet i would for. I would go with the simpleist modern toilet on the market because again due to poor salesman ship in 3-4 years when you need a seat you most likely will not get one. Where as if you buy a cheap standard one it will be cheap to replace the whole toilet and most likely any seat will fit it anyway.

Hope this helps...Sorry for the delay

Many thanks Joey the Lips, i appreciate the advice. I think maybe i have stayed in too many hotels and b&bs where i've spent an hour flushing! and i don't think it's just my digestive system!:) I'm fitting a mains direct cistern which should fill up pretty quickly. I know that leaves a problem when the water is off but i'm planning water butts (no pun intended) as backup. Might put in a rainwater harvesting system at some point but that's another story. My other toilet issue at the moment is this: a bathroom supplier tried to sell me a lovely modern toilet, very stylish, but when i looked inside it had what i can only describe as a shelf in the pan. I understand it's very common in Germany and some other Euro countries but i really don't want to meet and greet my number twos again! So now i have a fear of buying unseen and ending up with a shelfy toilet...

duncans wrote: »
    Many thanks Joey the Lips, i appreciate the advice. I think maybe i have stayed in too many hotels and b&bs where i've spent an hour flushing! and i don't think it's just my digestive system!:) I'm fitting a mains direct cistern which should fill up pretty quickly. I know that leaves a problem when the water is off but i'm planning water butts (no pun intended) as backup. Might put in a rainwater harvesting system at some point but that's another story. My other toilet issue at the moment is this: a bathroom supplier tried to sell me a lovely modern toilet, very stylish, but when i looked inside it had what i can only describe as a shelf in the pan. I understand it's very common in Germany and some other Euro countries but i really don't want to meet and greet my number twos again! So now i have a fear of buying unseen and ending up with a shelfy toilet...

Mains fed toilets are against building regulations meaning if you get damage you may not be insured. Just check this out.

• Advertisement

I think (hope!) i'm right in thinking that there used to be a regulation about cisterns being fed from the tank in case of interruption to the supply, but it's no longer the case. How would it work for the people with pressurised systems and no cold water tank? Hope i'm not talking out of my close coupled behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i'm looking for a fairly modern looking toilet for my newbuild. I've found it really difficult to get any information on how well any of the toilets actually work. I HATE modern toilets with the eco-cistern which you have to flush ten times. I know i could go down the pressure assisted route, but that seems expensive. Does anyone out there have a modern looking toilet that they are happy with?
    :confused:

Toilets are now eco friendly for a reason.

Oh and dont forget that water rates are on the way very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Just get a nice wall hung Phillippe Starke unit, just installed 4 in a plush home, and they are just the dogs danglies. A pleasure to sit on. Oh, and when they flush, it stays flushed:D.

ooh i wouldn't mind a starke toilet but unfortunately i'm not that flush;)

I think (hope!) i'm right in thinking that there used to be a regulation about cisterns being fed from the tank in case of interruption to the supply, but it's no longer the case. How would it work for the people with pressurised systems and no cold water tank? Hope i'm not talking out of my close coupled behind.

Nope. Still not allowed mains fed. With pressurised they just die when the water stops. Then its fixed.

ooh i wouldn't mind a starke toilet but unfortunately i'm not that flush;)

Laufen produce a brand for the budget called Jika. Its very competitive and looks very well.

• Advertisement

run that past me again Joey the lips? i can't have mains fed cisterns? is that ROI regs?

run that past me again Joey the lips? i can't have mains fed cisterns? is that ROI regs?

No your not allowed a mains fed cistern. Unless the regs changed recently.

In a domestic dwelling the only thing that can be mains fed is the kitchen sink and appliences. i am amazed they allow T80's they are so strict but there you go ROI Regs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I'm in a flat where everything is fed from the mains. In the UK at least it seems like the regs no longer apply. And that the point of the regs was to make sure that at least one tap was connected to the mains to ensure clean drinking water.

Where would I find out about Irish plumbing regulations?

ah... the fog lifts. i'm up north so it's UK regs for me. Phew!

Advertisement