Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coccidiosis

• 18-06-2011 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

We've been rearing some calves each year but we have our first case of Coccidiosis, pen of 8 calves one showing symptoms and two others with dirty tails...
    Calf is getting Sulpha No2 powders and have Vecoxan for the other 7..

Four were bought ex farm and four from the mart but that was three weeks ago...

Our vet said one dose of Vecoxan was enough for the others but I saw thread somewhere here where people were following with a second dose? would this be usual.. Also do people routinely dose with Vecoxan to prevent Coccidiosis?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bbam wrote: »
    We've been rearing some calves each year but we have our first case of Coccidiosis, pen of 8 calves one showing symptoms and two others with dirty tails...
    Calf is getting Sulpha No2 powders and have Vecoxan for the other 7..

Four were bought ex farm and four from the mart but that was three weeks ago...

Our vet said one dose of Vecoxan was enough for the others but I saw thread somewhere here where people were following with a second dose? would this be usual.. Also do people routinely dose with Vecoxan to prevent Coccidiosis?
    im plagued with it and the trouble I find is that vexcoxan wont work as a preventative, all my calves get at least 2 dosos of vexcoxan but only the other week a lovely heifer picked it up anyway and she is outside since early april..calves go back alot when they get it..i have bought kilcox disinfectant this year and will do the sheds in the hope of trying to improve situation..
    we only have it in the last few years whether an animal brought it onto the farm or what..i asked the vet could the cows be tested for it..i got a grunt for an answer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we do with vecoxan at a week old then do a follow up in around 10 days after that, if their tails start to get dirty they might even get a 3rd dose... might be no harm to give a lectade or 2 to the one that has it as they need energy to get over the infection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

From;
    http://www.farmandranchbiosecurity.com/dictionary_cow_calf.htm

Coccidiosis
    Risk: Assume all cattle are exposed to coccidiosis since nearly all adult cattle are carriers. Contaminated calving pens and feed grounds in cow-calf pasture infects baby calves and older calves are infected by eating infected bedding from ground in feedlot pens.
    Training: Provide employee education to understand and identify symptoms of the disease. Include training on health management of clinically affected cattle and supportive therapy for severely dehydrated young cattle. They need to understand the importance of proper sanitation and attention to avoiding fecal-oral contamination.
    Resistance: Cattle become resistant to coccidiosis following recovery from infection and to low dose exposure as they mature.
    Isolation: Isolate, as much as possible, all cattle with symptoms of diarrhea. Animals that are severely infected eliminate large numbers of infective oocysts. This includes animals with severe depression and diarrhea. Avoid standing water that animals may drink from contaminated ground.
    Traffic Control: Restrict the movement around cattle affected with any scouring disease.
    Sanitation: Do not let fecal material from scouring cattle contaminate other animals or humans. Clean and sanitize all oral instruments between uses. Clean and sanitize handling equipment and facilities.
    Action Trigger: Signs of profuse diarrhea, dehydration, and/or bloody scours in young cattle.
    Rapid Response Procedures for Suspect Situation: Preventing fecal build-up and contamination between animals, especially young animals.
    Comments:Review all cases with the operation’s veterinarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    we do with vecoxan at a week old then do a follow up in around 10 days after that, if their tails start to get dirty they might even get a 3rd dose... might be no harm to give a lectade or 2 to the one that has it as they need energy to get over the infection

He seems to be responding well, he's got a couple of shots of electrolyte and today a 1l mini feed in the middle of the day to keep his strength up...
    he hasn't lost his appetite so keeping meal and hay with him too. I kinda knew the coccidosis would rear it's head at some stage, we've reared three times as many calves this year as previous years...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I've had it for years around here. I use maxi-milk with decox to treat all milk for calves under 6 weeks and it helps to prevent it and all other scours and will help if a calf does come down with it. Had one with a blood scour this year and she got over it quick. That was my only scour case this year. The maxi-milk is 125 euro for 3000lts of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

i got a grunt for an answer :rolleyes:

Jaysus, your vet and ours must have trained together!

bbam , i assume the calves are indoors, oocide disenfectant is very good at killing the coccidiosis and crypto bug , its a 2 part disenfectant... powerwash out the shed and then disenfect it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    bbam , i assume the calves are indoors, oocide disenfectant is very good at killing the coccidiosis and crypto bug , its a 2 part disenfectant... powerwash out the shed and then disenfect it

Sort off indoors, they are out in large open shed and yard being trained to electric fence with access to pen for feeding... We start them in the pen and then open the door to the yard for "fence training" and "hardening up" once they are established.. the shed with the pens will be cleaned powerwashed and disenfected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Pacoa wrote: »
    I've had it for years around here. I use maxi-milk with decox to treat all milk for calves under 6 weeks and it helps to prevent it and all other scours and will help if a calf does come down with it. Had one with a blood scour this year and she got over it quick. That was my only scour case this year. The maxi-milk is 125 euro for 3000lts of milk.
    Is it just mixed in with milk before feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Yes. One scoop of powder per gallon. I mix it with some water first till it looks like fanta then add that to the milk just before feeding it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Good article in this week's journal about Coccidiosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I had one calf with coccidiosis this spring. Shed got fully powerwashed after turnout. I'm thinking from reading this tread that a disinfecting might be no harm now before turning cattle in for the winter.

Kilcox and oocide were mentioned as being good disinfectants.
    • How would these be applied? Knapsack or watering can?
    • Where would I get them? Vet shop or local hardware?
    • One for the 'vets'..... would steam (+100C hot wash) kill the virus??
    Thanks for any advice

Muckit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Muckit wrote: »
    I had one calf with coccidiosis this spring. Shed got fully powerwashed after turnout. I'm thinking from reading this tread that a disinfecting might be no harm now before turning cattle in for the winter.

Kilcox and oocide were mentioned as being good disinfectants.
    • How would these be applied? Knapsack or watering can?
    • Where would I get them? Vet shop or local hardware?
    • One for the 'vets'..... would steam (+100C hot wash) kill the virus??
    Thanks for any advice

Muckit
    kilcox can be got from magenta direct anyway, got it there myself and sprayed it with quad sprayer all over shed, will see how it goes this coming season. normal disinfection not good enough anyway

i get the oocide from the vets , i used to apply it with the knapsack but the first part would be dried in by the time i got around with the second part- the activator- now i used a big barrel , fill it up and throw it out in buckets- make sure you wear protective gear as part 2 stings like hell if you get it on your skin- water proofs and a mask and gloves , do one barrel of number 1 and then 1 barrell of number 2 , tough going but works for me. Also anytime i have asked anyone here to do it for me they end up getting splashed with it , so i just do it myself and then i dont have to listen to complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks everyone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

This is an extract from Oocide data sheet.
    Like something from a sci fi movie:eek:

Precaution: Oo-cide Must Not Be Applied In The Presence Of Animals.

Warnings: Keep Out Of Reach Of Children. Pack No. 2 Contains Corrosive Material. Wear Rubber Gloves And Suitable Eye Protection. Produce Harmful Vapors. Do Not Breath Fumes.

General Information

Pack No. 1 and Pack No. 2 are dissolved in water, and applied separately to the infected surfaces. Pack No. 1 is applied first, then followed by Pack No. 2. This causes the release of ammonia, the active coccidiacide, eliminating coccidial contamination on treated surfaces. Better results can be achieved if the treated surfaces remain wet for 6 hours. This can be achieved by limiting the ventilation.
    Directions For Use

Remove all old litter and thoroughly dry clean building. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES AND GOGGLES WHILE PREPARING OO-CIDE NO.1. WEAR A FULL FACE RESPIRATOR FITTED WITH AMMONIA ABSORBING CARTRIDGES, PROTECTIVE CLOTHING, RUBBER BOOTS AND GLOVES AT ALL TIME WHILE APPLYING OO-CIDE NO.1 AND WHILE PREPARING AND APPLYING OO-CIDE NO.2. Empty the entire contents of Pack No. 1 into 30 litres of cold water and stir until completely dissolved. Spray floor area, posts and lower part of walls to a height of 0.5m using a coarse spray, thoroughly wetting all surfaces. The solution is sufficient to treat an area of 100m2.
    Attention

AVOID THE ADDITION OF THE CONTENTS OF PACK NO. 2 TO ANY UNUSED PORTION OF PACK NO. 1.
    Immediately on completion of spraying, empty the entire contents of Pack No. 2 into 30 litres of cold water and stir until completely dissolved. Spray over the entire area previously treated with Pack No. 1 whilst it is still wet. The treated area will turn pink and the coccidiacide will be released directly to the infected sites. Leave the room.
    For better efficacy, treated surfaces should be in contact with the solution for 6 hours. This can be achieved by limiting ventilation (close all doors, windows and turn off fans) during, and for 6 hours following the application of the product. After 6 hours enter the room with a full face respirator and protective clothing, and thoroughly ventilate for 1 to 2 hours before re-entering animals.
    Storage

Keep in a dry cool place.

Advertisement