Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA age limit question

Options
  • 18-06-2011 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I've been unemployed since finishing my degree last year, and a few weeks ago got called into a meeting with a facilitator at the social welfare office. She was asking if I'd considered going back to education and I said I couldn't afford it, did want to do a masters at some point in the future but was waiting until my parents were in a better position to support me financially etc and she started talking about the Back To Education Allowance, and how I could study for a H.Dip under that. I said I didn't realise I was eligible because I'm only 22, and she said...something. Lots of things, but like I said it was a few weeks ago. I definitely mentioned a few times that I didn't realise I could get it because of my age, and she seemed to explain that circumstances like mine (I think because of how long I've been signing on) were exceptions.

The reason I can't remember exactly what she said is because in all the information she since posted out to me and everything I've seen online what keeps jumping out at me is the 24-year-old age limit for post-grad and it's made me very unsure. I've tried ringing her a couple of times but she never seems to be in her office. I applied for the H.Dip I wanted and just got the acceptance email there but I don't want to click accept until I know I'll be able to get the BTEA, as there's no way I'd be able to afford it without that.

She seemed very helpful and efficient at the time, and I definitely mentioned my age, also social welfare criteria change and maybe the website hasn't been updated? Surely she wouldn't have made a mistake like that, especially seeing as I mentioned my age more than once and she had a copy of my file and CV with my date of birth right in front of her? Anybody else under 24 gotten the BTEA for a post-grad or know anything about it? Sorry for such a long first post on the forum (also, hello!) it's just wrecking my head, especially because I would see the acceptance email on a Saturday morning and have to wait the whole weekend before I've any chance of reaching her again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shine Star

Hi. I was just wondering how you got on with the above. I'm in the same position as you wanting to start a course but I'm 23 and everywhere the age limit is stated " at least 24". Did they make an exception for you? :)

Advertisement