Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering a thatch roof

• 18-06-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

I have a cottage witha a thatch roof that is need of rethatching, this is very expensive so in the mean time a local thatcher reccomended that i cover the roof while i gather funds, the thing is, what would i use and where would i get it?!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A tarpaulin from a big truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Why not ask the Thatcher ......... he should know the cheapest and most appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

hi
    i belive there might be a grant for thatching your house a quick google brought up this link http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/HousingGrantsFinancialAssistance/ThatchingGrants/
    im sure there are terms and conditions but its worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

jugger wrote: »
    hi
    i belive there might be a grant for thatching your house a quick google brought up this link http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/Housing/HousingGrantsFinancialAssistance/ThatchingGrants/
    im sure there are terms and conditions but its worth checking out

I know about the grants, they don't take the sting out of the price at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

really !!!!!!!!!!!
    how bad is the cost if you dont mind giveing a rough figure ?
    regards jugger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭dathi

don't cover it with a tarpaulin it prevents the thatch from breathing and drying out. have seen a whole roof turn to compost and collapse in about 6 months when it was left under a tarpaulin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Archi

If you figure out a way of covering the thatch to save the roof, let me know – I’m having the same problem. The cost of re-thatching is prohibitive expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kahler

hi. as previously mentioned, covering with a tarp directly onto thatch is a bad idea. it turns to sh*t in no time. best thing to do is have a chat with a few thatchers, see what they say and see who seems to be the most practical about the thing. while a full re-thatch may be the ideal, it may not suit your pocket. are both sides of the roof in similiar states of disrepair? if not, you could repair the worst bit and wherever it is leaking and nurse it along till finances improve.
    houses used to be thatched in sections before. a bit this year and a bit in a couple of years time. you may miss out on grants but it might take the sting out of things.
    if you are a bit handy, you could do a bit of repair yourself. reed, rushes or straw should suffice. might not be the tidiest but it may keep the drop out of your tea. the main thing is to keep the water from getting in but allow the roof to breathe.
    grants can be applied for from the dept of the environment in ballina and your local county council. i would suggest that they arent massive but a few thou here and there is not to be sniffed at.
    i know this is about a year too late, but i hope you ve managed to keep it waterproof since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Defo don't use a tarp. a neighbour of my uncle had the same problem few years ago and to help it he use a waterproof membrane but it lets the roof breath, its a pricey thing to do but cheaper than having your whole roof turn to mush

Advertisement