Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help which school is better?

• 18-06-2011 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I want to apply for school for my daughter, but I don't know which on is better?
    St Patrick's Girls National School Hollypark
    St Teresa’s in stillorgan*
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

There is no one school better than another and even within each school what might suit your 1st child might not suit your other children. What you have to look out for is what school best suits your child and yourself in terms of their ethos, their discipline, extra curriculum activities, whether there is space for sports and assemblies, library and science/art room perhaps, outdoor play areas, uniforms, Are there activities like choir, sports, homework clubs, if they have voluntary contributions or fees for other activities/supplies, etc. You might even need to look at their opening times to see if they suit you for drop off/collection, minders in the area etc. Usually the best way to suss out a school would be to pay a visit to each and see what they have offer, then I'd talk to parents of children whose opinion you value and are already there and see what they say. Unfortunately every school in the country will have parents who will praise a school to the hilt and other parents who will critise a school for everything it does.

I'm guessing these schools are in Dublin so maybe a thread on the Dublin forum might get a different response.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ilovemarmite

I went to the 1st one, it is really good and has got better, I worked there for a year and it is much improved in extra curricular activities and resources for sn

New principal started 4 years ago and from word of mouth have heard she is excellent. Know several people with their girls there and they are very happy with it and kids doing well

Never heard of other school so can't comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Holly Park has an excellant rep, haven't a clue about the other school.

Just a word of warning though..if you are out side of the catchment area you will have to queue at the school to enrol and often parents are there from very very early in the morning. (no joke).

Also, out of all children that left Holly Park last year for secondary school, something like 74 out of 75 pupils went to the Loretto Foxrock. So maybe factor in if private secondary school is something you wish to pay for also..

It is a great school, hope that helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would like to recommend another school though, Guardian Angels NS on NewtownPark Avenue. I couldn't speak highly enough of it, having attended it myself and I have family members still in the school. Good facilities and an absolutely brilliant principal, Walter Cullinane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Just to concur I have actually heard good things about Gaurdian Angels also :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Just to remind people, naming a school/teacher/principal on a forum and making negative comments about them could be considered slanderous or libellous and thus is not allowed.

This isn't a case of trying to protect the school, this is boards.ie not wanting to get sued. Hope that's clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Apologies mod, I appreciate where you are coming from.

Advertisement