Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training dog to walk on lead.

• 18-06-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

My female dobie never liked leads and anytime I put one on her she just sits and will not budge. I have had this problem since day one. Usually my dogs are like that as pups at first but then get the knack of it. But this one never did and point blank refuses to learn.

Suggestions please. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

Is she a puppy or an adult dog?
    Just start by keep putting the lead on and off so she gets used to you doing this.Giving her lots off tasty treats as your doing this.

Then bring her out in the garden and just let it hang loose as your playing with her so she gets used to the feeling of the leash,eventually she will be comfortable with you holding it and walk along with you quite freely(and probably end up pulling you to go werever she wants ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I would suggest a light nylon lead and some really tasty treats or a favourite toy. Put the lead on at home when the dog is calm then just let him wander around the house/garden giving regular treats/play.

That worked with my little JRT when she got lead shy :)

Best of luck

Advertisement