Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is my download speed so rubbish? (On one PC only).

Options
  • 18-06-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

New PC build.

All latest mobo drivers.
    USB dongle to connect to the wireless router.

I have 1 computer in the house that gets 17/18MB/s.
    Then this one seems really poor, 1-2MBs on speedtest.

Any ideas?

edit: weird, despite reconnecting the dongle multiple times and re-installing the drivers, switching on and off the router seems to have helped for now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

quarryman wrote: »
    New PC build.

All latest mobo drivers.
    USB dongle to connect to the wireless router.

I have 1 computer in the house that gets 17/18MB/s.
    Then this one seems really poor, 1-2MBs on speedtest.

Any ideas?

edit: weird, despite reconnecting the dongle multiple times and re-installing the drivers, switching on and off the router seems to have helped for now...

Considering its a new build i can't really blame it on spyware, adware etc because chances are your machine is clean. Was your machine updating and hogging the bandwidth?

Have you tried to ping your router and see what the response time is? Maybe its a case that the usb dongle is in a dead zone and can't broadcast in/out fast enough.

Your router doesn't have bandwidth management set up has it? Maybe in the past you've restricted bandwidth on all your IP's except for one and if your not using local static IP's then maybe your new machine got the lucky "fast" IP after you rebooted your router several times and now your other machine is using a restricted IP?

After that im baffled on why it would speed up after rebooting the router several times.

Advertisement