Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BoardsTown 2.0 - potential layout for discussion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

ffs, just as things get started, I get a virus that takes 6 hours to fix.
    So what happened? Wasn't the place meant to be voted for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There is a bunch on the server who are just haring off at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Very rough idea for the business area, as people give more feedback I'll change it.
    The red is paths by the way.
    Also, by plot I don't mean residential, but for shopping.

unled2ha.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice but was thinking more along the lines of a courtyard with shops around it, makes it easier to shop around and looks nicer than a tall block coming out of the ground. Maybe slope that and slope it nicely back to the 'plots behind here' bit?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Just something i thought i'd try for the plot layout. I staggered the plots on either side. With the corner of the buildings on the right moved 5 blocks to the left of the building on the left.

Thisway the layout will be a little less grid like since people didnt seem to like that layout.

nBi5M.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Are there going to be restrictions on the types of materials that can be used in the town? - If someone wanted to make their house out of purple wool and netherrack would that be acceptable or are we going for a themed town like this place:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think its fair to use cobble/moss/smooth stone/wood/planks/sandstone and whatnot. Wool maybe but in a limited use, instead of an entire house -_-

So here I am at the bank thinking of what to build it out of.

Sandstone and glass perhaps? Give it a sort of modern look, but we can have pillars inside to give it a more roman style.

Moss and cobblestone? Give it an older look.

Plain wood and planks? I personally don't think it'll look well.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Banks are SRS BUSNS, so I think Cobble & Glass. A little bit of a darker and foreboding (closing?:p) look might be fun in contrast to a bright and shining shopping centre for example.

Then I'd suggest a vault with moss covered cobble and stacked with GOLD! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Sandstone and glass perhaps? Give it a sort of modern look, but we can have pillars inside to give it a more roman style.

I like the sound of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Any chance of making it so that there is only 1 nether portal in town or close to it. That way were not coming back to random ones in locked rooms?

Maybe set it up in the centre of town or something? Kind like a a gate in Stargate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Yeah - if Bland especially could get rid of his portal it'd be extremely helpful. You come back from the nether, find yourself in a buried room so start digging and then get a mouthful for mining yourself out of a hole in the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

atm the exit for the portal is on top of my house in the town, if someone wants take it down and place it in town that'd be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Crow92 wrote: »
    atm the exit for the portal is on top of my house in the town, if someone wants take it down and place it in town that'd be cool.

I've moved it down to the beach area for now. It's accessible and it's not making noises at everyone. Just so you don't wonder where it went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Maybe we could house the portal in a building ike we did in the last server. Turn it into a temple pr something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

just not made out of nettherack that stuff is uglay!!

You saying my house is uglay!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The land grab for plots last night was a little difficult to understand for those of us who aren't always on the server or know how these type of things are run. I wasn't too sure if people were waiting to be told where they could build or if it was a case of picking a spot around the rest of the players.

Would there be a point in having everyone chip-in in defining the building area, parks and paths rather than concentrating on building their houses first? That way it would be possible to even have pre-defined plots and as new players find the town then choose such a pre-defined area.

Ponster wrote: »
    The land grab for plots last night was a little difficult to understand for those of us who aren't always on the server or know how these type of things are run. I wasn't too sure if people were waiting to be told where they could build or if it was a case of picking a spot around the rest of the players.

Would there be a point in having everyone chip-in in defining the building area, parks and paths rather than concentrating on building their houses first? That way it would be possible to even have pre-defined plots and as new players find the town then choose such a pre-defined area.

Well that was the idea but people were complaining about not having homes or places to put their chests in private places. I don't mind too much though, there's plenty of space behind or even to the right of it (at bradles house)

Also people dying and resorting back to spawn was a pain in the hole, so its been moved

I've been busy mining cobble for the castle, so I set myself up a little quiet corner of contemplation in the cave behind the bank :) I've got chests in there with stuff and I need to go back to our first spawn where I was building to reclaim all the additional stuff which I plan on doing tonight. I had a few diamonds and stacks of redstone and iron (some gold too I think) so lots to collect :)

I do intend to cover over the mine where I'm working when I'm done as no castle worth it's salt would leave exploitable caves underneath it's surface for sappers to get in :p

• Advertisement

Ponster wrote: »

I'm currently adapting as more people come on. As you know from last night, we got rid of the forest to the right of the village to accommodate more people. Managed to create 4 plots and a park which were all claimed within a 2 minute period. It's not easy but we're doing it little by little

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

> Well that was the idea but people were complaining about not having homes or places to put their chests in private places.

Hmmm, I guess that'll do :p

What I also noticed last night was a lot of players willing to help but not too sure what to do. I realise that this was also because people like Gav (who was very helpful) was kinda making it up as they went along and as soon as there was a basic plan then people knew what to clear and where to build paths, bridges...

When there isn't any admins online though and people still want to help is there anything they can do? I was thinking that having a good stock of sandstone and smooth cobble would be useful to help build up the town. Is there any other way we can help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Tankran

Stokolan wrote: »
    You saying my house is uglay!

only on the outside, its like shaft's gaff on the inside :P

I was on today and tried to level out a bit more of the area around town to make room for plots. I had a load of dirt to use and there wasn't too much happening :P

Bank roof idea:

164304.jpg

OK, so the slightly darker bit is the recessed entrance to the bank and I propose the roof covers over that. I'd also suggest building the upper edges of the triangle out of half-blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I likes it

Yep, that'll do. Half block sandstone it is!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've claimed an area up on top of the mountain, if you have the river to your right and the bank to your right, you follow the road and when you get to the end, I have marked out an area up on top of that mountain. (everywhere below was taken).

I've carved a big "DeV" into it to... for thick people. :)

DeV.

Top of the mountain is castle and business district....

The lower lands are for houses.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Top of the mountain is castle and business district....

The lower lands are for houses.

No he's talking about the other mountain. The one beside the new area that I created yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Aye, with the business district on the right, and 12 o'clock as the yellow brick road, my place is up at about 11 o'clock on the upper area... has a nice view of the town I must say :)

DeV.

I spotted your patch last night, definite prime real estate alright :)

Yeah, i've gone from living in a cave to vertigo!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Welcome to join me in an attempt at Moria 2.0 any time.

Sure, though with the time I have available in July, i'll be lucky to build even a house!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

Is there a whitelist for boardstown? If so, are you accepting members? I'd be interested in helping out.

Is there a whitelist for boardstown? If so, are you accepting members? I'd be interested in helping out.

Yes sir. Just share you MC user name here or on the "Boards.ie 2.0 server" thread and I will WL you asap

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Yes sir. Just share you MC user name here or on the "Boards.ie 2.0 server" thread and I will WL you asap
    Kwl :) My username is Thermax.

Kwl :) My username is Thermax.

Added. Enjoy! If you need help then just ask any of the lads on the server, they will be more than willing to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Can I get on the whitelist as well, username is pljudge321 unsurprisingly.

Cheers

Advertisement