Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Computing Postgrad

Options
  • 18-06-2011 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has completed a H Dip in Applied Computing.

Basically if you only know the very basic of IT - everyday use and have an ECDL - is it hard to undertake this course.

Some people told me unless you have high maths skills, and know alot about IT already it is very tough and you be lost but I prefer to get feedback from people who have completed course before I decide to apply. It is aimed at non computing graduates so surely basic would have to be covered.

So any infomation would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Where is the course and what is the syllabus? And what is your undergrad degree in?

I used to lecture on such a course, so I may be able to give you some guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where is the course and what is the syllabus? And what is your undergrad degree in?

I used to lecture on such a course, so I may be able to give you some guidance.

I hope to do course in WIT. My undergrad degree is a Bachelor of Business.

The course itself seems to compose of Programming, Systems Analysis and Design, Web Design and Development, Operating Systems. I cannot remember off hand the rest of the modules but these would be main ones.

I am not a maths genius though did ok with the maths part of my business course but did not do honours maths for LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yeah, that's a higher diploma, specifically aimed at people with no background in IT who already have a level 8 qualification

While you don't need top marks in maths, you would need to be a logical thinker and capable of breaking things into their constituent components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a higher diploma, specifically aimed at people with no background in IT who already have a level 8 qualification

While you don't need top marks in maths, you would need to be a logical thinker and capable of breaking things into their constituent components.

I think I have no problem at all with logical thinking and through work and other diploma / degree's I have my mind would be ok with that. Bit of fear of unknown and doubting myself that I be able for course.

Suppose as it has been a good few years since I studied full time ans getting back into that whole way of thinking is a bit worrying.
    However I am good for studying etc so that important.

Advertisement