Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hd 5770 cooler suggestions?

Options
  • 18-06-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hey guys, looking for a replacement fan for my 5770.

the ball bearings are worn a bit, and once the fan goes 60%+ it makes a squeel noise until I crank it up to 90% then it stops.

any suggestions on a decent cooler?

ive a aerocool m40 lanbox... so room is not great. there is about 1 1/2 inches left from the edge of the fan cooler to the case edge.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Two questions, is it a single or (more likely) dual slot 5770? And is that an extra 1 and 1/2 over and above the edge of the current fan casing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

this is the card i have

msi_hd5770nr_1.jpg

and its 1 1/2 inches after the end of the current cooler on it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hoping it was one of those, the reference 5770 had a horrible layout with 2 X DVIs side by side, and the GPU within 2-3 inches of the ports, which mean alot of third party cooler do not support it as they cannot fit properly (You will see alot of vendors specifically mention the 5770 as a no go).

5770-barecard.jpg

Fortunately I believe a card like yours does not suffer from the same problem as it lacks the second DVI port, and it also looks like it has a revised PCB with the GPU positioned a bit further back which should give you a few more options. I would be reasonably confident that alot of 4800/5800 compatible coolers would fit on that msi. You probably cannot be 100% certain without getting out the ruler I am afraid, so i am sticking to coolers I could find detailed dimensions for.

The Gelid Icy pro is decent and should fit, if in any doubt there is a detailed dimension diagram here

The Scythe Musachi is a really nice option if the measurements add up.

Dimensions of the Musashi can be found here and here

A really good, cheap and cheerful cooler, that I suspect may be slightly too too big for you needs is the Accelero Twin Turbo pro .

The dimension of the Accelero Twin Turbo can also be found here : http://www.arctic.ac/fileadmin/arctic/website/media/ARCTIC_COOLING/VGA/Accelero_Twin_Turbo_PRO/height_restriction_drawing_Accelero_Twin_Turbo_Pro.pdf

Finally if you also need a shorter length cooler the Scythe Setsugen 2 is 100% certified HD5770 compatabile, is good but obviously quiet expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

you absolute legend!

just ordered that gelid icy pro.

i cant thank you enough for the advice marco.

Advertisement