Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the multiplayer experience put you off single player?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I find that more and more games are developed mainly with the multiplayer gameplay in mind, and as a result the single player experience is not what it used to be for certain genres (mainly FPS).

The only genre where I still believe the single player excels is in RPG games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Jonny7 wrote: »
    As shiny and awesome and cool as a new game looks, I just know I'll spend 10, maybe 20 mins on the single player and just get bored.. its chronic now

As a nerd I want the game, I buy it, like Portal 2, am initially vaguely entertained, then just.. meh..

Whereas the multiplayer experience (years of rts, fps, mmo's) has truly and utterly addicted me to the human element and competitiveness, and anything else just feels a bit.. artificial and repetitive..

I mean for fecksake, I'm watching a stream right now of an online tournament, I even pay to watch these things - I think I've finally reached the final gamer endboss of multiplayer only

said stream
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Day%5B9%5D

I used to be exactly like that, until i got rid of my gaming PC. I'd play CS flat out... even other good MP's like CoD4 got tossed to the side after week or so because really... Playing competitive cs is probably one of the best gaming experiences out there.. guess its the same with any competitive game really. Even the early days of public cs or TFC/RTCW, i'd be happy as larry for hours on end running around shooting **** ! And before the FPS games there was AoE2 !!

The only other game that really pulled me away from cs was WoW ! Which is even worse if you really start to get into it in terms of how ****e everything else seems to be compared to it.... Im still of the opinion that WoW is one of the best games ever made. I'd still watch the occasional competitive cs streams tho, always enjoyed watching the pro's play.

Now the only MP game I play is CoD with a bit of BC2, but I'd play most SP games that grab my interest now aswel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I can't play single player at all anymore, tedious. Minor exceptions such as elder scrolls etc.

I can't play single player at all anymore, tedious. Minor exceptions such as elder scrolls etc.

Suprised you have time to play any games !!! 44,000 posts... fooking hell !!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

this is why I have my pc and desktop on at the same time :p

• Advertisement

this is why I have my pc and desktop on at the same time :p

Get a few sneaky posts between rounds !

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Single Player experiences are a known variable. With Multiplayer you're at the whim of the community. Poor Shattered Horizon for instance, would have been great to actually play that but there it's Dead. Teamfortress 2 is a new game every 3 months, and not always for good. Sometimes it's just annoying to have to deal with a new learning curve every time you load it up. Even the MMOs, constantly in a state of change, moving the goalposts to get you to grind more, play more, pay more.

I never played Modern Warfare. I'm sure there are still people online, but not that many. (and of course they want you to always play the latest version, $$$) Im sure the single player is there though. Still, it's not exactly a Zelda game. Like I said, I've only completed 2 Zelda games ever, Ocarina and Majora's Mask. Link's Awakening is 20 years old now or something? It's still the same game. I can still go back and enjoy it. Counterstrike? Not the same game it was in 1999, that's for sure.

If anything the Multiplayer experience has reaffirmed my appreciation of the Single Player experience. That's before you even get to talking about the kind of people you meet online, most of whom are jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Overheal wrote: »
    Poor Shattered Horizon

Excellent game, reminded me of Descent, deserved more than it got tbh

:(

On topic: Multiplayer FTW, I have not the time for fapping about in singleplayer when there's craic to be had on comms :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've always preferred single player games to multiplayer. Give me a single player game with a good narrative, to a competitive multiplayer game any day. Multiplayer can be fun, but only with people you know imo. I loved CS:S when we played it as part of Compsoc in college, where we had 40+ people all playing in the same room. Was fantastic. Definitely a better experience then playing with some random ****ers who are as likely to help you as shoot you (then insult you). I do however love co-op in games, and have had some fantastic experiences with friends in various co-op games through the years. Playing GTA4 online with some of the boards.ie lads. 4-player Ghost Recon with my college mates. Playing through Halo 3/ODST/Reach with a good friend of mine.

The current trend of tacking on multiplayer modes to single player games is stupid though. Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 3, Bioshock 2 for example....all needless attempts to change what made the original games great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Sports games are far better MP since sport and competition go hand-in-hand. FIFA, Tiger Woods, NFL etc. all enhanced greatly by the multiplayer experience. COD I hated MP, loved the single player game though. The newer FPS aren't as fun as the old FPS to play MP. I mean old as in maybe 5/6 years ago and earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Sports games are far better MP since sport and competition go hand-in-hand. FIFA, Tiger Woods, NFL etc. all enhanced greatly by the multiplayer experience. COD I hated MP, loved the single player game though. The newer FPS aren't as fun as the old FPS to play MP. I mean old as in maybe 5/6 years ago and earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sports games are far better MP since sport and competition go hand-in-hand. FIFA, Tiger Woods, NFL etc. all enhanced greatly by the multiplayer experience.

The same applies to fighting games. Always a hell of a lot more fun playing against real folks than it is against the computer. Unfortunately though fighting games tend to suffer greatly online (I'm looking at you here, Mortal Kombat!), but as far as couch-gameplay goes, it's hard to beat the amount of craic you can have fighting against a few friends.

Lose three fights in a row, and you're making the coffee. Them's the rules :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I play far more single player games, I find they grab me far more often than multiplayer experiences. Narrative quality has improved vastly in recent years. I only really enjoy playing multiplayer with friends (mostly co-op), banter is guaranteed and no listening to obnoxious kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

What really bugs me when a game comes out and it has no multiplayer, which is fine by me, but when it goes for review it gets deducted points for having no multiplayer, ign are bastards for this. so it's no wonder the industry is lumping in sh1te multiplayers to keep everyone happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 irish_whiskey

I will never be turned off the single player aspect of multiplayer games now. I am a gamer who loves the story of a game and that is the one thing I will always look out for when buying a game.

True, the multiplayer for most games these days is getting better and better but I will always look for the single player storyline in any game I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I completely agree with the OP. I used to love single player games; especially RPG's. I bought the Witcher 2 on release and couldn't even get through the prologue I found it so boring. Just went straight back to playing LoL.

I think it was WoW that spoiled RPG's for me. And the multiplayer experiences I had in both L4D games just leave anything a single player game can do in the dust. The experience is so much more intense when you are on voice chat with three other people against four other co-ordinated people. I only played L4D co-op to get achievements, I found that boring too.

Playing against other humans is the only thing I find challenging and fun now. If I want a story I'll watch a TV series or film or read a book

Advertisement