Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gun!!

Options
  • 18-06-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a savage .22 semi automatic long rifle and I want to change it. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should go for.

I don't want another semi. The gun is for rabbit shooting.

Should I stick with a .22 or go to a different round.

Everyone's opinion is welcome.

Could do with some advise.

Thanks for the help

Shane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

ye can't go wrong with a cz542

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

the browning t-bolt in 22lr or 17HMR are class we guns. There quicker to cycle hhan the average bolt action.
    you could always move up to 223, if you need it. I changed from 17HMR to 223 and i have never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

I have a .223 but it demolishes rabbits. Just want something to replace the 22.

Is the ammo expensive for the 17hmr??

Shane.sf wrote: »
    I have a .223 but it demolishes rabbits. Just want something to replace the 22.

Is the ammo expensive for the 17hmr??

Malcolm Graham in Monaghan is around €15.50 for 50hornady varmints.
    Mourne Shooting ground is €20 a box

Does the 17 have better range and more accuracy??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Irishwolf81

I have a Savage 93g in .22 mag fantastic gun for the money you will pick them up second hand for handy money, Its a bunny buster knocked a rabbit a 263m last week couldn't believe it although conditions were perfect, it will consistently hit at over 150 no problem but ammo is around €13 a box, i find cci and Remington jhp to be the best

Does the 17 have better range and more accuracy??[/QUOTE/]

The 17 is a very flat shooting bullet, but it is badly affected by wind drift, the conditions have to be perfect for long shots.
    They are very, very accurate. it would shoot acccuratly well over 200yards.
    Youd be better off getting a moderator for one too, theres quite a pop out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dogsandguns

.17hmr all the way 250 yards is your confident enough no bother and very acurrate great killing power aswell

I have a .22 moderator and if I was to get the 17 I would get one for that.

Are 17 HMRs def better than .22LR or is it just a matter of opinion

I am a very confidant shot and can hit a fox between the eyes with my 223 from a very respectable distance so a round that has a good range and is accurate is what I'm looking for

If you want good range and accuracy, you wont regret buying a 17. Brilliant we round

• Advertisement

Any gun in particular u have in mind or any good makes

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monte

sako quad 17hmr is a great gun;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

monte wrote: »
    sako quad 17hmr is a great gun;)

+1
    I'm with monte on that. I bought my Quad a few months back and I luv her;). The .22 gets brought to the field very rarely now.

I think I might go with one of them. What kind of price would I be looking at? ( new and second hand)

I appreciate all the help lads!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Shane,
    What do you have? A 223 and a 22LR?

What do you want? To replace the 22LR with another 22LR or a different caliber altogether.

What do you want to do with the new caliber that the old 22LR and 223 do not do.

I think the two calibers that you have are the best. The 223 is a great round for foxes and distances and the 22 is great for bunnies and all close up. Additionally, it will not break the bank.

I love my 10/22 in 22LR and 700 in 223 - some of the best choices for shooting in Ireland.

If you are not shooting too fast and don't mind the bolt action, a CZ 527 would step up accuracy.

What exactly are you finding problematic with your current rig?

The 22 is semi and its a very poor gun. It's misfires every second round and I've changed the firing pin in it already and that fixed it for a while.

It's because I keep using subsonic bullets and a moderator.

I would like a bolt action rifle for rabbits and a decent one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Go with a cz455 thumbhole in hmr and you will never want another rimfire!:):):)

The 22 is semi and its a very poor gun. It's misfires every second round and I've changed the firing pin in it already and that fixed it for a while.

The round is not really the problem but if I am going to change I may aswel keep my options open

Longranger wrote: »
    Go with a cz455 thumbhole in hmr and you will never want another rimfire!:):):)

What size round is that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I think I might go with one of them. What kind of price would I be looking at? ( new and second hand)

I appreciate all the help lads!!!

I got mine from Paddy Carley, he's got a new synthetic varmint on the shelf at the mo. Among many others too;)
    http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=4

• Advertisement

Are you buying good ammo or cheap stuff? I get a few misfires, but I am buying the cheap stuff for plinking.

Have you enough funds to go Sako or Tikka? If so, you will probably be happy. With that said, I am just going by name recognition and have nothing with which to back that up.

I have heard great things from owners of Savage bolt actions. Additionally, the Remmy's, Marlins, and Rugers have great reviews.

Being in Ireland, your best bet may be the CZ 527. Were you looking to buy used or new? Do you know anyone with any other 22 that would let you have a shot?

What do you think of a sako quad 17HMR

I never have a prob with the cheap federal bulk pack 525 for 25 euro. It's only the expensive subsonic ammo. I'm told they are crap in a semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

What size round is that??

.17 hmr. Cracking round out of an absolutely cracking rifle:)

What do you think of a sako quad 17HMR
    Shane,
    I have a big bore Sako and can only say that Sako has a great name.

With that said, every manufacturer has something that makes you say - why would they do that?

How much are the 17 HMR rounds? Aren't they expensive?

I am just not sure why you would want to lose the 22LR and have two rounds, 223 and 17.

Do you have a specific application in mind?

I have three rifles: 22LR, 223, and 30-06. They cover: bunnies, foxes, and deer. For me, having two varmint rounds (223 and 17) would not be worth it.

I would be looking for a good 22 bolt action if I were you.

I am just not sure why you would want to lose the 22LR and have two rounds, 223 and 17, that are quite similar.

I didn't know they were a similar round thought the 17 was like the 22 not the 223

I didn't know they were a similar round thought the 17 was like the 22 not the 223

a .22wmr and a .17hmr are comparable a .223 is a good step up

Shane,
    I edited the previous as upon second read it was confusing.

I think the rounds you are looking at, given the two you own, have too much overlap.

For me the use of the 17 hmr is similar to the use of my 223: farther, faster, and flatter than the 22.

However, the 223 and 17 are definitely not alike when it comes to the physical: Rimfire/centerfire, max distances, ... The 17 is a necked down 22.

With such a light mass of bullet, I bet the wind is going to hurt it much more than the faster 223.

If you are looking to get a little more reach on smaller varmints, then, maybe the 17 is the way to go. You should be able to reach out to between 100 and 150 yards on smaller targets.

My main concern is losing the cheap ammo. What is the going rate for a box of 17HMR's.

There's no doubt that the 17 beats the 22LR, but at what cost?

I bet you'll shoot faster and flatter with the 17HMR, but your targets better not change. That is, don't think you can go after bigger game, like a fox - not fair IMHO, especially not past 100yards.

If your looking for more range and to hit some rabbits then i recommend the .22wmr it has more punch then the .17hmr but loses out on accuracy a bit, but will still bust rabbits at over 150 yards no problem, and the ammo is cheaper

• Advertisement

For me when I go shooting I only bring one gun. I either go rabbit shooting or fox shooting. Generally I bring my 22 and my partner brings his 223. We never shoot a rabbit with a 223 as it does too much damage to it and vice versa never a fox with anything smaller.

Therefore From what I can gather, only concidering rabbit shooting the 17 would give me a future distance and better accuracy at that distance

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd rather know I'm wrong than think I'm right

Advertisement