Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security measures for firearms

Options
  • 18-06-2011 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I know that theres some new regulations that came in there with the new licensing system about needing an alarm if you have more than 3 firearms in the house. I have a standard alarm we got about 6 years ago but ive been told this isnt good enough by a friend of mine. does anyone know what exactly the minimum requirements are and what a rough price is ? I have 2 different safes and theyre solid as a rock attached to the wall, just wondering about the alarm side of things and how much it costs .. Also just a heads up about the amount of house robberies they seem to be getting more and more common. A friend of mine was broken into thursday night when everyone was asleep, they got plasma tv , stereo system , even the car as the keys were left on the table.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From the large red flashing announcement at the top of all of the shooting forums (the one that says :Firearms Licencing and Licence Renewal Information - Please read this before asking questions about Firearms licencing!)
    Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009:
    |Type and number of firearms| Secure accommodation standard

1 |One non-restricted shot-gun.| The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

2 |One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. |Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

3 |Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

4 |Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

......Also just a heads up about the amount of house robberies they seem to be getting more and more common. A friend of mine was broken into thursday night when everyone was asleep, they got plasma tv , stereo system , even the car as the keys were left on the table.
    Bit off topic, bad news for your friend, but since the car keys were on the table at least they didn't go through the house looking for them or hurt someone.

IMHO Best not to let anyone know you have things that go bang in the house in case undesirables find them desirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

But can't the super /chief super order you to get what ever security he dreams up ? The security measures in the table above us just a guideline or minimum acceptable ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats right. The security mesure "table" is a MINIMUM standard only. The Super/Chief Super can dictate any level they deem necessary depending on amount of firearms, area they live in, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Question on this: If you have a non restricted shotgun your allowed keep it dissembled with the trigger locked. However from the table it would seem that if you get a rifle as well you are now required to keep BOTH of them in a gun safe.

Is this correct and where is the logic? :D

• Advertisement

That's correct, and don't look for logic in Irish law or you'll spend most of your life searching for something you won't find :D
    (Personally, I suspect that the lobbying power of the IFA might have had some weight on this, aided greatly by the near-total failure of the AGS to understand relative danger levels of different kinds of firearms - which is why you don't need a gunsafe for a pump-action 12-gauge, but you do for a single-shot olympic air pistol).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Hahaha, as usual when reading gun law in Ireland, MY MIND IS BOGGLED!!! :rolleyes:

It's been this way for a long while Arcto. Up until '04 or so, you could happily crawl around in the wicklow hills with a silenced .270 in a full ghillie suit, all perfectly legally; but own said single-shot olympic air pistol and you faced up to five years in jail. Utter stupidity.

Advertisement