Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matriculation Question?

• 18-06-2011 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, just a quick question 'bout matriculation
    Am a repeat leaving cert student and my desired course requires a B3 in Higher Maths
    I'm repeating for points, I got an A last year and was maybe a little overconfident this year and paper 1 was really messed up and I'm not super-confident I even got a B...
    so my question is, can I use my A from last year for matriculation and still use my grade from this year for points?(I'm well aware I can't use my A for points)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

I'm pretty sure you can, not 100% sure though.
    Just out of interest what course is it? Never saw a B3 as a matriculation requirement for maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zwatzer19

it's theoretical physics...
    trinity, ucd and maynooth(even though it's only a 3-year course there) all require a b3 i'm pretty sure
    well, cheers for replying anyway, i asked some people who said it wouldn't make sense if i could, although it is just the reverse of repeating for a matriculation requirement, and people do that, so i don't see why it shouldn't...
    well, i'm glad you think i can, i hope you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

unrelated, I know, but you need a B3 to do actuarial maths in DCU, and a B1 to do Actuarial and Financial Studies in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I'm not sure if you can use the result from another year for matriculation having sat that exam again this year, wouldn't be 100% sure

use this e-mail query form http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=email to the CAO. I e-mailed them a while ago and they got back to me quite quickly
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

That's what I thought, it's the opposite of repeating just for a matriculation requirement.
    I'm sure you'll do grand anyway seen as you got the A last year.

Good luck!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Yes you can use any leaving certificate for matriculation/ course requirements. The NUIG website say exactly this here (just so you feel more secure) 'Entry requirements can be taken from any number of Leaving Certificates but only the best six subjects in any one year can be used for scoring purposes.' http://www.nuigalway.ie/admissions/faqs/index.html

Your points can only be from the one leaving certificate though.

much thanks, people...
    and one more thing occurred to me
    using a grade from another year to meet course requirements, anyone done it before?
    Is there anything extra you need to do or is it automatic as the cao has your previous results...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

zwatzer19 wrote: »
    much thanks, people...
    and one more thing occurred to me
    using a grade from another year to meet course requirements, anyone done it before?
    Is there anything extra you need to do or is it automatic as the cao has your previous results...?

To answer your original question, yes, definitely. I'm doing it this year (for primary teaching), unless it specifically says that the result must come from the same LC as the points do then you're sound. You (should!) have already given your exam number from last year to the CAO and so they will take what is required from last year.

alrite then, thank you!

but are you using a subject for matriculation and doing it again just for points?

• Advertisement
Advertisement