Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine CAO application

Options
  • 18-06-2011 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I had no idea where to post this but there you go...

I'm not from Ireland but thinking of applying to some graduate courses for medicine.

I'm used to the UCAS in the UK and I'd be grateful if someone can shed some light on the whole application process in Ireland. I had read that the selection process is random, this can't be true!, is it really? Do you get interviewed or write a personal statement?

Also do you need to obtain two references from your uni/school or whatever and how is that used? Do you just supply the referee's names or do you have paste in the actual reference.

Please be as helpful as you can.
    Thanks,
    May
    PS: I'm a Maths post-graduate sitting the GAMSAT this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Artydoc

Hi monamay87,

The application procedure is far from random... Like in the UK, we sit the GAMSAT and apply through our version of UCAS for places. The colleges in question have a limited number of places. For example, say college A has 30 places. The 30 highest GAMSAT scorers who applied to college A will receive an offer. In the event that the 28th highest score is say 58and two places still remain to be filled, the 29th place would go to a score of 57. Now, to choose who gets the final place, the remainder of those scoring a 57 are entered into the notorious lottery... That is where the luck part comes in!
    This is my understanding of how it works... I am open to correction though : )
    As for the IRish version of UCAS, check out CAO.ie. Their website should have all the info you want.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Artydoc

I should have mentioned that we do not have to supply a personal statement as you do in UK, but on the application forms for CAO there is a chance to say how your life and education to date may support your application...
    No interview either...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Artydoc wrote: »
    I should have mentioned that we do not have to supply a personal statement as you do in UK, but on the application forms for CAO there is a chance to say how your life and education to date may support your application...
    No interview either...

That's pretty much the same as a personal statement. I advise people to treat it as such.

Advertisement