Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum money into an EU Country

• 18-06-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im traveling to an EU country this week and bringing around 10k in US dollars with me. Any ideas if there is a maximum amount i can bring into a country under EU law? Don't want to end up getting stopped by customs etc. Flying from Ireland to Belgium. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The maximum you can take into (or out of) an EU member state without having to make a declaration is €10,000, which is about $13,500 (depending on exchange rates etc). This applies when travelling between EU member states also.

More info here, including the paperwork... http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/customs-excise-cash-controls.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It may be a good idea to go through the Red lane just to be safe.

I know you're under the limit, but dodgy people often carry just under the limit. Make sure to carry you're withdrawal slip and have a valid reason, with documents to back up, why it's necessary to carry so much cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imalwayshappy

Great stuff thanks guys will take that advice and cheers for the link!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just be careful it would be an awful amount of money to lose or be robbed of.

Advertisement