Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Out?

• 18-06-2011 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Okay, I know everyone is flat out talking about how great college will be next year. Just wondering is there much people like me taking a year out next year and working/travelling?

What are you doing next year? 69 votes

College
    0% 0 votes
    Working/Saving for college
    88% 61 votes
    Travelling
    11% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

dunner :P wrote: »
    Okay, I know everyone is flat out talking about how great college will be next year. Just wondering is there much people like me taking a year out next year and working/travelling?

nah man im going to college, where drinking heavily and pulling 1 night stands are part of everyday life! it sounds magical!

i plan to do my work for the summer and then go to college. ae you going to go travelling? and if so, where to if you dont mind me asking!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I want to. I might but it will be staying at home and working! Can't afford to travel..!

It depends what course I get. I want to go to Scotland so if I don't get that course I'll take a year out and apply through UCAS again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'd love to go around Europe for a year but I'm worried it would just make me lazy, so I'm going to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I'm thinking about taking a year out to work and do a bit of travel, i'd love to work in fashion or clothes shops and then i'm thinking of getting an aupair job in france or spain and just doing stuff like that, i'd love to go to florida for a few months too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

May not even bother with college. Opening up a business on Wednesday after chemistry on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

if I don't get that course I'll take a year out and apply through UCAS again!

If you do this i'd recommend doing some work experience in the area you plan on studying as experience will improve your chances of getting in next year. After going for two interviews in England I found experience to be very important.

NotExactly wrote: »
    If you do this i'd recommend doing some work experience in the area you plan on studying as experience will improve your chances of getting in next year. After going for two interviews in England I found experience to be very important.

Wanting to do Maths which rarely has interviews (in any university AFAIK) but it is something I would do to get a feel for the different sectors and to decide if the actuarial finance sector is for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭BmxNoob

May not even bother with college. Opening up a business on Wednesday after chemistry on Tuesday

Im becoming a Professional Golfer on thursday after economics on Wednesday !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

[QUOTE are you going to go travelling? and if so, where to if you dont mind me asking!:p[/QUOTE]

I'm not going traveling, probably because I would never come back! Working for the year, it's all about the almighty dollar!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

BmxNoob wrote: »
    Unlucky man should have finished this Wednesday so you could've played in the US open :P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm more than likely going to have to take a year out for health reasons... I don't really want to but there's not much I can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

Planning on taking a year out after college.. if that doesn't happen because I manage to get a job straight away, I'll always have my 3 months holidays to travel.

Oh yeaaaaah :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

I'd love to defer my course, but my mammy won't let me. She reckons that I won't go back and then shows me examples of my cousins who took a year out and still aren't even back in Ireland after 10 years so I start to believe her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

brian93 wrote: »
    Planning on taking a year out after college.. if that doesn't happen because I manage to get a job straight away, I'll always have my 3 months holidays to travel.

Oh yeaaaaah :cool:
    Don't forget though, there is a chance they will ask you why you took a year off if you look to get a job after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TanyaMay

I don't get what happens in regard to the CAO, if, you don't get your course this year, and decide to wait and reapply again next year. Is it as simple as that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

BmxNoob wrote: »

Im hoping to become a semi-pro online poker player this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I want to. I might but it will be staying at home and working! Can't afford to travel..!

It depends what course I get. I want to go to Scotland so if I don't get that course I'll take a year out and apply through UCAS again!

Oooh where in Scotland? I have an offer from St Andrews, which is probably my first choice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

TanyaMay wrote: »
    I don't get what happens in regard to the CAO, if, you don't get your course this year, and decide to wait and reapply again next year. Is it as simple as that??

I think thats how it works? If you dont get what you want this year, just apply again to the CAO next year

Violafy wrote: »
    Oooh where in Scotland? I have an offer from St Andrews, which is probably my first choice. :)

Heriot Watts in Edinburgh.

To those wondering what to do with the CAO if you take a year out:
    If you get the course you want you contact the university and ask can you defer your entry until the following year, if they agree then you need reapply to the CAO for next year and ONLY put down the course you got accepted in to and tick that you are a deferred applicant.

If you don't do that you will be up against everybody else next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I would love a year out to work.
    But, repeating has eliminated that option, as it was a year out in a way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement