Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

serato vs Tracktor scratch

• 18-06-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi guys just looking for some advice please. im a viny dj but id like to get into the searto/traktor stuff as vinyl is so expensive and i cant fnd alot of mixes i need on viny.
    i have a laptop but i dont know if its suitable and its running windows vista?

i have a set of technics 1210s and i love them but id love to add serato or traktor to my set up.

any advice on whats good and if i need a super fast laptop to run this stuff would be appreciated.

cheers.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

lexluther wrote: »
    Hi guys just looking for some advice please. im a viny dj but id like to get into the searto/traktor stuff as vinyl is so expensive and i cant fnd alot of mixes i need on viny.
    i have a laptop but i dont know if its suitable and its running windows vista?

i have a set of technics 1210s and i love them but id love to add serato or traktor to my set up.

any advice on whats good and if i need a super fast laptop to run this stuff would be appreciated.

cheers.:)

I've always found Mac to be the best, I don't think I've ever been in a club and seen a Windows machine. They are just stable and do they job very well. However if you make the investment it will last for years, MacOs is fairly timeless. You'd easily get 5 years out of the one laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

You dont need a very fast laptop.

Vista is a terrible pig for serato/traktor though.

Avoid AMD chipsets: I've seen serato get upset at anything but Intel.

XP, Win7, Intel chipset and a couple of gigs of ram...should be enough

I just picked up a Hercules MK4 console, you can get one for about 160-200 yoyos online, which afaik does allow you to use timecode CDs and Vinyl. I don't have a timecode vinyl to test it out with Traktor or Virtual DJ but will be giving the timecode CD a shot on the CDJ later this eve so will report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I just picked up a Hercules MK4 console, you can get one for about 160-200 yoyos online, which afaik does allow you to use timecode CDs and Vinyl. I don't have a timecode vinyl to test it out with Traktor or Virtual DJ but will be giving the timecode CD a shot on the CDJ later this eve so will report back.

Does the Hercules console not just control the computer?

OP already has technics.

OP: get a cheap intel laptop with win7 and 3gB ram you should be fine. Or get some ram and upgrade your vista to win7. More than enough for serato, anyway. If you have the money for apple, go with them by all means. Really solid product.

Does the Hercules console not just control the computer?

OP already has technics.

OP: get a cheap intel laptop with win7 and 3gB ram you should be fine. Or get some ram and upgrade your vista to win7. More than enough for serato, anyway. If you have the money for apple, go with them by all means. Really solid product.

Nope, has 2 x audio inputs as well for technics or CDJ's. I got timecode working with Virtual DJ last night, Traktor is being a little more fiddily but I'm getting there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

If you're having trouble deciding between the two:

The timecode quality of both is more or less exactly the same, there's a video of Q-Bert testing them side by side.

Traktor has more and better effects, and sync, but Serato is simpler, arguably more reliable, and in many people's opinion more effective at simply playing two tracks.

The sound quality of the Audio 8 is definitely better than the SL1, but with the SL3 they're more or less equal.

It seems to be mainly personal preference, so try and have a go of both and see which you prefer.

Advertisement